Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to leave for 2 1/2 weeks to England/Scotland at the end of the month. I was thinking of picking up one of those Nintendo DS systems, and buying the wifi internet package for email and a few games for boredom on the flight. I dont want to carry a laptop, and the size of the DS is appealing for email and light web use. What are you thoughts on the internet on a DS? Is it worth it?

thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have it and it works quite well for simply checking webmail and a little surfing. It's a little slow but as was said, it's a lot smaller than a laptop and has excellent battery life. You also can't beat the price for a working internet device that plays excellent games too.

Only downside is that it's only compatible with 802.11b wifi connections and doesn't work with WPA security.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not familiar with the security stuff, does this mean it wouldnt be good in open wifi areas?

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you are connecting to an open access point, there won't be any security. Some coffee shops I've been to use security and give you the password on your receipt or verbally - depending on the security method used, you may not be able to connect using the DS since it's wifi is pretty basic and only supports the older (insecure) WEP protocol.

In other words, you may run into connection issues depending on how advanced the wifi spot is.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well as Morgan Webb says, "The DS blows"... :D

Get a PSP ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
The DS blows
You mean like the PSP's battery life?

I've owned both and without wanting to start a flamewar, the PSP's screen was nicer but it lacked any killer games and the web browser was barely usable....having a touchscreen makes the DS Browser infinitely more useful...not to mention you can use it all day on it's battery unlike the PSP.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Mmmmmmmm Flamewar.....aaaaggggghhh...:D

I find the battery on my PSP fine. Maybe not as long as the DS, but then again it's doing more.

No good games? Hmmm..... Mind you the DS has the thing for old people, the memory game or whatever that commercial is about. :clap: Yeah.....

Actually I like the design of the DS, the PSP is a little big sometimes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Maybe the psp games comment was a cheap shot....like the games for old people comment ;)

The new Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (coming this fall in North America, already out in Japan) is amazing for the DS.

I'm a pretty big gamer and just found the PSP game options lacking unless you like PS1 rehashes....although I did sell mine earlier this year, it could finally be hitting it's stride as most systems do the longer they are out.

It's size didn't make it very portable for me...the DS fits nicely in cargo shorts.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'll give you the size thing for sure.

Old people cheap shot eh? hahaha... I like that.

I'm a pretty heavy gamer as well, although I do most of it on a PC. I dumped my PS2 as well, and will be getting a PS3 soon. I really like some of the games for the 360 but man it's a total crap shoot as far as getting one that is reliable. I think PC gaming is still the top rung on the ladder.

The only game I play on the PSP is the ATV game that came with it, I love that game, I just can't bring myself to play Kill Zone on something like that. I use it as a photo previewer for and mp3 player mostly. ;)

I always look at the DS, I do like the look of it I just wish is would do more.

Old people.....hahahaha...... Old people in games being eaten by zombies..:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts