Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/10/sydney/

Although, I don't know if I agree with the PC tying the Mac in ease-of-use, it seems like a reasonable article.

And like someone else pointed out, they may have over-stated the virus issue... 100's of viruses for the Mac... yeah, right,... most are for MacOS 9 or older OSes.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Macaholic,

You did great justice to the dock there - good going. I always play with putting my Start menu on the side of the screen and end up putting it back on the bottom because that's where it was designed to be. My dock is quite happy on the side of the screen, and it's translucent and has magnification, it supports all kinds of notification methods ... it makes the Start menu look really clunky. What really drew me to the Mac interface though, was the menu at the top of the screen.

ClearType is actually a great improvement over Windows98 anti-aliasing - I haven't figured out how to compare it to Mac anti-aliasing, but it is a great feature of XP, part of why I seem to fit more on the screen on an 800x600 WinXP laptop than I did on a 1024x768 Win2k laptop.
I believe Panther includes improvements in this area over Jaguar.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree with you guys they didn't really see the main difference between XP and OS X.

Windows XP walks you through, and makes you use the computer the way the MS people wanted it to be used.

With OS X it is much more up to you, so you want a start menu, huh?

Then just drag the HD to the dock then right click on it. (Control-Click)

It will show everything on your HD on an easy to use menu, with folders and subfolders.

:D :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Also, as far as I know there are NO viruses for OS X, and the macro MS Office viruses don't affect Office for OS X.

There are a couple viruses for classic, but as far as I remember they are even pre-9.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Insertclevernamehere wrote:

With OS X it is much more up to you, so you want a start menu, huh? Then just drag the HD to the dock then right click on it. (Control-Click).

Yes. I showed them this with a screenshot of my Apps filder popped up from my Dock.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I think that, if anyone was to TRY to lay this classic mac vs Pc argument to rest, it would have to be people more in both platforms than these blokes.

The XvsXP site is a great start. It's a pretty meticulous analysis! http://www.xvsxp.com

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Elmer wrote:

> You did great justice to the dock there - good going.

Thanks

> (The Dock) supports all kinds of notification methods

That's right! i actually forgot to mention the fact that you can CONTROL applications fro the Dock. I also forgot to point out that, with Dropstuff on the Dock, I drag-and-drop items I want stuffed onto it, and voila! Another thing about dropping onto the Dock is that -- at least with MS Entourage -- you can drop items you want to attach to an email onto Entourage's Dock icon and the items will be handled accordingly by Entourage: If Entourage is NOT booted, it will boot and create a blank email with the items attached. If entourage is already booted and you have an email writing in-progress, the items will be attached to THAT email! :cool:

> What really drew me to the Mac interface though, was the menu at the top of the screen.

I'm glad you see it that way. I find Window's command-menu-FOR-EVERY-WINDOW ridiculously redundant. Like, you can only click on ONE menu at a time, anyway. plus, with the menu at the top of the monitor in Mac OS, you can rely on intuitive motor-memory to just push the mouse up before you even start to think about where SPECIFICALLY you need to pull down a menu, zeroing in on the way up. With several windows open in an app within Windows, and all the windows at different sizes and positions on-screen, it's a hunt-and-peck process, every time.

Plus, redundant command menus wastes screen real estate. Once again, Windows tries to be helpful ("Hey! Lets put the menu on every window!"), but ends up being wasteful and cumbersome.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I still can't believe that people publish articles like this one, it shouldn't matter anymore, who cares who's winning we all use these computers differently and for somewhat different purposes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.