Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The eBay auction is here for those that are interested.

I've got a friend that has a working NeXTStation (with a monitor to boot), and while it's cool to fiddle with every now and then, it's a pain to keep running. The last time he needed a replacement part it took him quite a while to track down a replacement.

Of course, it'll be a collector's item in a few years, it's just not terribly useful now :D

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Ah, now we're talking!

Here's a picture of my personal NeXTStation Turbo for all of you. She still works well but needs a little TLC once in a while (getting old). I like to fire her up for nostalgic purposes to remind me just how good OS X has gotten (arguably). Its surprising to see just how well a 33Mhz 68040 runs with Display Postscript. I have Apache running on it as well and its fairly quick.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
can someone tell me what the difference between NeXTSTEP and OpenSTEP was? Granted I haven't looked very hard, but info seems pretty thin on the ground.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
OpenStep is an API specification (similar to POSIX, I believe). An operating system was "OpenStep compliant" if it implemented the APIs described in the standard.

OPENSTEP is NeXT's implementation of the OpenStep APIs. OPENSTEP also included portability libraries that implemented the NEXTSTEP APIs, so you could think of OPENSTEP as the successor to NEXTSTEP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts