Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had this emate since 2004 and we are starting to have fun with it! It was way ahead of it's time. I had to buy an adaptor from the source to power it up though. Here's a picture with it's cool backlight (green)

I need one of these cards can anyone help out?

Lucent WaveLAN Turbo Silver, Revision or P/N 012372A.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
Yay! Another Newton fan! :D If I dig out my old MP110, and the others come out of the woodwork, maybe we can talk ehMax into creating a Newton sub-forum for us here...... errr..... ehMax? Hello? Sigh. Ostracised by our own community....

;)

M

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got a mp2100 that I use everyday to keep track of when I work. I also use it to keep a database of all the garden roses I have. It's very handy to have a searchable list with me when I go to greenhouses. I get questions about it all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Gah, I bought a newton and it didn't last long. Everything broke, wasn't compatible with anything and I would never make the same mistake again.

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
My 120 just died last year, but my eMate is still going strong. It lives in the trailer during the warm months, since it has all my camping recipes on it. (Plus, you can't play Daleks on a cookbook.) I don't even know how long the battery lasts--I'm always done with it before it's run down.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
I had my MP2100 shipped to me, along with various other bits and bobs I'd picked up on eBay over the past year (and what a job, over Skype phone, helping my mother identify the pieces I wanted her to send along!).

My idea is to use the Newton for data entry during my fieldwork later this year in Cuba, rather than lug along my MacBook (battery life being key). I have the full Newton kit, including keyboard.

Today I finally got the USB->Serial driver installed for the no-name-brand cable I picked up at UBC's computer store. Using NCX, I am able to install packages! Great!

First install was "Backlight Plus" - For the life of me I could not figure out how to turn the backlight on on this thing - I had assumed it was automatic, but it never came on, leading me to believe that this was simply another 10-year-old MP with a dead backlight. What a rush to tap the screen after installing BLP and having the screen jump to bright glorious green life! :D

The next task is to find a driver for my WaveLAN Bronze 802.11 WiFi card. I've read mixed reports on whether it will work... any advice from those who've gone wireless with their Newton much appreciated.

:)
M

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
First install was "Backlight Plus" - For the life of me I could not figure out how to turn the backlight on on this thing - I had assumed it was automatic, but it never came on, leading me to believe that this was simply another 10-year-old MP with a dead backlight. What a rush to tap the screen after installing BLP and having the screen jump to bright glorious green life! :D
M
Dude, just hold down the power switch until the light flicks on.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
HAH!

Thanks, Macified - so bloody simple.

But seriously - Google for how to turn on a Messagepad's backlight - either I'm pretty dense (save it) or it's one of those features that is apparently too obvious to be documented.

:)
M

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I need one of these cards can anyone help out?

Lucent WaveLAN Turbo Silver, Revision or P/N 012372A.
There are quite a few cards that will fill that bill:

Lucent
Agere
Buffalo
Dell TrueMobile

Are all the same for various models.

Google wireless and Powerbookk 1400. It appears to use the same card. I am using a Lucent card as I write this.

HTH

Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts