Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anyone using one ?? And if so, have you ever taken it apart? I have antiquated one and I'm thinking of taking the HD out and replacing it w/ a newer one.

I just looked up and down the Newertech site, and it almost seems as though they have discontinued it. Nothing under external drives and nothing under mac mini accessories. And, that must be a fairly recent move.

Anyhow, if anyone's got experience taking these apart for a HD swap, would love to hear about it.

Thx.

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
I own 2 of these. Mine work well, and are a piece of cake to take apart/ upgrade.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I have two of them as well

One of them has a SATA drive in it and the other has an ATA drive in it,
It looks like they have been discontinued, They are no longer for sale at O.W.C.

When I bought mine, I bought them from O.W.C. without hard drives installed,
I found it was cheaper to install my own drives.

I still use the SATA MiniStack with my intel Mac Mini,
The ATA MiniStack is attached to my Airport Extreme and used as a network drive.

They've been rock solid for many years now.

These are the only manuals I could find on the MiniStack

Owners manual for MiniStack pdf's

Manual number one - Owners manual

Manual number two - Installation Guide

·
Premium Member
15,964 Posts
Not too much help here for the OPs question, but I was a bit upset to read and check that they don't even seem to be sold any longer from the original suppliers and I bought several of the v2's, great for some of the earlier mini users that got discontinued and then replaced with the later v3 versions with all the extra ports they also provided that seems not that long ago.

But I'm sure I've seen equivalent type models from other manufacturers, Belkin perhaps?? that just might have similar dismantling instructions as many were sold as 'bare case' units — and they'd sure need instructions to install any hard drive.

As I recall, the earlier (NewerTech) versions v2 ?? units used PATA IDE drives and the later v3 versions used SATA drives and some different compatible ports, but the access to change any of the hard drives should be about the same I'd guess.

Maybe even do a replacement with a SSD SATA drive for some extra speed??? ;)

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
The hard drive installation guide is there in the second pdf link that I provided above,
Here's a screenshot of the guide just in case the link degrades in the future.
It's for the MiniStack V3 though, The one with the SATA drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GUYS!

Thanks for all the guidance. PM-R. Good call. Funny, as I'm seeing your message now - but on my way home after buying a 2TB HDD and a small case for the transfer, POW - I was hit with that very q? I had an older one and i wondered if it was SATA. Well, I got home and the 1st thing I did was to open the case and voila: Ultra ATA. ARGH.

So i'm on my way back to return the HDD + The case and will just get a WD for now.

Will look around and maybe I'll buy that v3. Le sigh.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts