Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
2,502 Posts
The NYT article repeats the old market share errors.

Apple is certainly not missing many opportunities within it's target markets.

The overall share of the PC market is small, but among certain niche sectors Apple remains strong, and in some it has gained share. It's more likely the NYT is missing an opportunity to unearth a shallow journalist lurking in their team.

· Premium Member
2,502 Posts
They are missing TONS of opportunities, especially in the target markets.

The have no low-end or mid-range towers for graphics, audio, and video professionals.

They have no sub-compact notebook for mobile graphics, audio, and video professionals.

They have no rugged series notebook for hardcore, mobile graphics, audio, and video professionals.

They have no tablet.

Do I need to go on?
Hmmmm...I would say that you have identified niches Apple has chosen not to tackle. That does not mean they are opportunities.

I suppose we would have to work on defining an opportunity. In my view, the people that define it are those who make business decisions at Apple. Certainly they could create products to fill the gaps you mention, but just because there is a gap doesn't mean there is an opportunity.

For a gap to become an opportunity it would have to offer sufficient volume at the right margins without compromising other product lines, supply relationships, economy of scale etc..

So yes, I would agree there are gaps Apple could examine, but their objective appears to be to tackle those that offer an opportunity to reach strategic goals.

Having said all that, I do agree that a smaller pro notebook appears to be a lively segment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.