Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New York Times: Hey, Steve, you're losing a great opportunity here! Whazzup wid dat?

The New York Times has an article today warning (?) Apple that they're, like, loosing a window of opportunity here to SELL A LOT OF COMPUTERS, GUYS.

I can see where the writer is coming from but, you know, my wimpy opinion is that I don't *want* to make it too easy for the masses to find Apples. Not a snob appeal kinda thing but I have this probably irrational fear that too much exposure would bring into our happy little world things that the Windows world is already screwing up (i.e. viruses, malware, spyware, etc.).

I figure I've done my share convincing certain people that Macs are great options (my nagging has lead to at least six people close to me to get one).

Feedback, anyone?

NY Times Advertisement OK. This should be the link. Damned if I can figure it out :::sigh:::. September 16, 2007 Digital Domain: A Window of Opportunity for Macs, Soon to Close By RANDALL STROSS if it doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
The New York Times has an article today warning (?) Apple that they're, like, loosing a window of opportunity here to SELL A LOT OF COMPUTERS, GUYS.
...Feedback, anyone?....
It's "losing",
not "loosing".

- The OSP.
(Obnoxious Spelling Police)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's "losing",
not "loosing".

- The OSP.
(Obnoxious Spelling Police)
I always seem to get that word wrong. And 'neccessary' (necessary). And 'succeed' (whoa... spelt that correctly). I have mental blockages with certain words.

My biggest buggaboos: there/their/they're and it's/its.

Bet you look good in that uniform, too ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
5,154 Posts
Beat's me why people still buy PCs. Vista utterly sucks, most PC hardware is uninspiring in terms of design and usability and the price differential is small if you take into consideration the whole enchilada. The excuse of there being less software is also gone with Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware, etc. It just goes to show the enduring power of familiarity. The iPod is certainly surfing that wave as well. We're sheep. Actually we're worse. We're inward looking, self-congratulatory sheep who preach to the converted. So shoot me....

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
1. I bet if Apple starts selling copies of windows xp (for boot camp) they'd make a killing.

2. Vista is so bad that my entire family is now getting rid of their windows machines and switching to mac.. that makes a whoping 6 apple switchers that i've converted... it's funny i've been advocating Apple's for over a year now, and all i had to do was demo Vista once and they all switched.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Apple can't sell a lot of computers for two very simple reasons:

1) The don't have the capacity. They can't make enough to supply the demand.

2) Apple is an elitist company with no interest in helping anybody but themselves, which is why smaller retailers struggle to support Apple sales.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
The NYT article repeats the old market share errors.

Apple is certainly not missing many opportunities within it's target markets.

The overall share of the PC market is small, but among certain niche sectors Apple remains strong, and in some it has gained share. It's more likely the NYT is missing an opportunity to unearth a shallow journalist lurking in their team.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Apple is certainly not missing many opportunities within it's target markets.
They are missing TONS of opportunities, especially in the target markets.

The have no low-end or mid-range towers for graphics, audio, and video professionals.

They have no sub-compact notebook for mobile graphics, audio, and video professionals.

They have no rugged series notebook for hardcore, mobile graphics, audio, and video professionals.

They have no tablet.

Do I need to go on?

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Beat's me why people still buy PCs. Vista utterly sucks, most PC hardware is uninspiring in terms of design and usability and the price differential is small if you take into consideration the whole enchilada. The excuse of there being less software is also gone with Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware, etc. It just goes to show the enduring power of familiarity. The iPod is certainly surfing that wave as well. We're sheep. Actually we're worse. We're inward looking, self-congratulatory sheep who preach to the converted. So shoot me....
Yes, walk into a BestBuy and you'll see the throngs of PC notebooks and desktops compared to the small (albeit separately stationed) Apple offerings.

Who do you think Joe Public and his family will gravitate towards? Occasionally, you'll get a kid who pushes their family to go Mac, but that's far and few between.

Also, Apple needs a mid-range tower (non-all-in-one). It's silly for a family with an existing LCD display to spend $2700 on a MacPro Tower. They'll instead go for a $1000-1200 HP.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
They are missing TONS of opportunities, especially in the target markets.

The have no low-end or mid-range towers for graphics, audio, and video professionals.

They have no sub-compact notebook for mobile graphics, audio, and video professionals.

They have no rugged series notebook for hardcore, mobile graphics, audio, and video professionals.

They have no tablet.

Do I need to go on?
Hmmmm...I would say that you have identified niches Apple has chosen not to tackle. That does not mean they are opportunities.

I suppose we would have to work on defining an opportunity. In my view, the people that define it are those who make business decisions at Apple. Certainly they could create products to fill the gaps you mention, but just because there is a gap doesn't mean there is an opportunity.

For a gap to become an opportunity it would have to offer sufficient volume at the right margins without compromising other product lines, supply relationships, economy of scale etc..

So yes, I would agree there are gaps Apple could examine, but their objective appears to be to tackle those that offer an opportunity to reach strategic goals.

Having said all that, I do agree that a smaller pro notebook appears to be a lively segment.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,154 Posts
It's clear that the Trojan Horse for increased Mac sales is the iPod/iPhone. However, its not that clear that Apple sees it that way. They appear to be prioritizing resources to the handheld devices and hence the computers are not getting as much limelight. It's not as though the company doesn't have the resources to double their computer business (I don't buy the limited manufacturing capacity argument, its all outsourced anyway). The only operational limitation I can see is the eye of the needle that Steve Jobs represents. If all key decisions require his sign-off and he is so hands-on, perhaps the companies saviour is also its Achilles Heel. Fortunately for Apple, true inspiration and intuitive sense of interfaces appear to be rare talents so the company continues to make its competitors look uninspiring and dull. It may also be that Jobs is bored with the PC model (inc. the Mac) and gets his kicks from the sexy young handhelds..... He's past his mid-life crisis.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
iPod options -> 5 Models (Shuffle, Nano, Classic, Touch, iPhone)

Mac Desktop Options -> 3 Models (mini, iMac, Mac Pro)

Mac Portable Options -> 2 Models (MacBook, MacBook Pro)

Maybe Apple could learn from it's very successful iPod lineup and offer MORE options in desktops and portables.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Apple tries to capitalize off defining markets - sometimes considered an ignorance or a missed opportunity. Your typically non-innovative companies like Dell, HP etc... capitalize not from innovation but from what consumers are used to. Which is the comfort zone for most shoppers. Agree with previous post, Apple does not have the manufacturing capacity and surely can't do it alone. Their lack of support to the Apple reseller community and distributors is a factor. Ask any independent reseller what they think of new product releases. Most stock goes to fill up Apple stores, a lot of times at launch dates. Resellers are typically sent to the back of the line with backorders. Who's really missing the opportunity?

For Apple, it works. They are controlling the market at a pace they can handle. And it may not be a missed opportunity in their eyes, it might be a well executed strategy that most of us outsiders are not privileged to know or understand.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,154 Posts
It's nothing to do with manufacturing capacity. Does Dell build their own hard drives? It's all outsourced and OEM'd. There may be something to Apple's insistence on secrecy in limiting initial product availability but ramp-ups are fairly rapid (at least recently). However, Apple does maximize its own return by giving preferential access to its own retail channels (bricks and on-line). As has been said many a time, if you appreciate local expertise and advice, patronize a local reseller. They rarely get the same attention from Apple, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
It's nothing to do with manufacturing capacity. Does Dell build their own hard drives? It's all outsourced and OEM'd. T
I sure wasn't saying that Apple builds Hitachi hard-drives, Intel CPU's, Sony optical drives, Toshiba flash memory that is in their products!! However, they source supplies and hire plants in China to build and manufacturer the actual finished good. Every component is sourced from a supplier/manufacturer. If you think Apple gained more than a 50% market-share at a rapid pace that all those components involved in building a finished Mac or an iPod would be in ample supply to do so? You're dreaming.

I already know that LED screens used in Macbook Pros' are in tight supply by the manufacturers.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,154 Posts
Ummm.... so you are saying that Apple couldn't possible double their own marketshare due to components shortages? It seems that HP and Dell have no problem in securing the various components and their marketshare is 5X Apples. It also appears that Apple has been able to ramp up its iPod business from 0 to >10 million a quarter in 4 odd years. Everything is scalable, most of the components are commodities and orders are made at least quarterly. Sure, there are bottlenecks here and shortages there (like the LED backlight screens) but its not as though Apple is maxing out the capacity of the contractors in Taiwan and China.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Your Dell and HP point is irrelevant. For one, the marketshare between the top 5 is not that much different. And none of those companies have grown their share so quickly. So they were never in the situation of ramping up manufacturing to that extent. Secondly, aside from the common parts that there is ample supply of, there are very uniqe components that Apple uses down to the chemicals that are not. Especially when you are an innovative company that likes to use new technology and proprietary components. Again, manufacturing may not even be an issue because Apple may not care about growing at the speed of opportunity but rather at the speed of their liking and control.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.