Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Ahh, such massive worms makes me feel good by owning a Mac and knowing I'm safe. ;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
So, we dodge another bullet. I really wish there was more alert maintenance of all those windows internet servers out there.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Yeah...we should shoot em all and render their stinking corpses down for pet food and tallow.

M-e-l-l-o-w......deep breath, Sonal. Then more mellow.

Are we okay now? Good.

We must all be tolerant of the less fortunate among us. Especially the trough-feeders who are still using PC's.

They'll figure it out...eventually. ;)

Then maybe we'll have our very own set of worms and virii to fret about. ;) :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Well so long as it doesn't take down Air Canada's computers like last time, I should be able to enjoy my day flying into Toronto, and then into Kansas City from Toronto.

I'll see you all in a couple of days when I get myself fully back online.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Pardon me -- I had a chip surgically-removed from my shoulder a few years ago, but it feels like it's growing back. (For many non-computer-related reasons.)

But considering that you actually need to click on and run the attached file to send this thing out there, this is not a Windows problem. It's a Stupid User problem, compounded by insecurities in Windows.

I've used Windows from version 2.x to 2K, and I was hit by a virus exactly twice -- a real one in in the late 80's/early 90's, and a silly Word Macro one in 1997.

I've received others at work (on Windows) since then, but destroyed them before they did any harm. I disabled my virus scan for 2 years (kept going off at bad times), updated and reran it and my system was clean. Why? Because I'm not a Stupid User. It's not the platform. It's the Idiots.

You could put them all on Mac, but they'd still be idiots and they'd still be running silly malicious programs, only they'd be (if possible) *less* cautious because Macs Don't Get Viruses. Then there will be complaints because Macs aren't virus-immune. And most likely, you'll have a better class of coder developing Mac viruses anyway, thus making them more subtle and harder to find.

Just keep all the idiots on Windows, or at least keep all idiots far away from me. Or else the chip will grow teeth and bite their heads off.

Macnutt -- I think this is about as mellow as I'm going to get for a while.... ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
Knock on Wood
etcetera, etcetera, etcetera .....

(Not that I am superstitious, of course!)

Johnny

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Sure, I can pat myself on the back for avoiding this one at home on my Mac.

But I'm pretty sure this will hit my workplace, thus slowing MS Exchange down from a crawl to a squirm, and impeding my ability to do anything.

Even if I avoid on the W2k machine at work (I set all my security to super-paranoid), some naive person in another cube will set this thing off anyway.

And as it runs amok, it will suck up bandwidth across the Internet, and slow everything down.

I'm having a bitter day, but gosh, what's the point of being computer-savvy when you share resources with the ignorant?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I like chips. Salted, Rippled, bacon and onions. YUM. You know whats great about chips? They go great with Viruses

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
yet another stupid worm.. i agree with Sonal, its the dumbazz users that open attachments from unknown emails, i mean come on people get a clue!!

now, on the otherhand.. there is one worm in particular that you dont have to open, it just lurks the sympatico network and if you've just installed XP then good luck avoiding it if you dont patch the exploits quick enough.. ive encountered that freakin welchia worm twice in the past 6 months, but only on sypatico highspeed..

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Fair enough, Sonal.

Just trying to get you down off the peak, a bit. But you make some very valid points. Well-informed users would solve most of this stuff before it got way out of hand. Knowledge is power. Ignorance is grief.

This is also true in real life. And just about as unlikely to happen, in real life, for most of the people out there.

They just don't take the time to figure it all out.

More's the pity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts