Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

Well, I've been finally able to remove IE from my Mac. The only reason that I needed it was to get to "spacecast.com", "toronto.citytv.com" and "bravo.ca". The previous versions of Safari would return an error about circular references when I went to those sites.

Now, the new Safari properly handles those sites - Yippee!

John

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I still have a few stupid websites I have to use IE (for secure forms entry using some weirdo schema that Safari doesn't handle) for but considering Safari is still a beta and the relatively tiny usage rate in a global context, it works surprisingly well. IE hasn't been updated in ages and is derelict. I did have a problem with Safari correctly rendering the Globe and Mail pages, but that's been rectified recently.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hmmmm... I've not made the perm move to the Safari yet not having d/l'ed the new betas (still one or 2 sites that I use IE for as well), but has anyone made that link between Safari and a mail app so that we can send a link to a page w/o cutiing/pasting it? Or am I hella behind here dudes?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
In Safari, go to your bookmarks link in the Bookmarks Bar. Create a new bookmark (call it Mail, or whatever you please) in the "bar" and edit the URL info to read the following;

javascript:location.href='mailto:?SUBJECT='+document.title+'&BODY='+escape(location.href)

Anytime you want to send a page URL to someone, just click on your new "Mail" link in the Bookmarks Bar.

BTW, apparently this only works with Apple's Mail app.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One website that doesnt work for me with safari is future shop.

I get the title page etc.
when i click a subcategory, such as computers
it goes
but then, whenever i click anything below that, i either have to open it in a new window or tab.
it will not work within the same window.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Grr... U2.com still has missing content on it on the right hand side in Safari. :mad: Kind of odd since Apple has had U2 on their main page for the last couple of weeks. U2 even had a story on their site about the Apple deal, but it doesn't show up when viewed in Safari.

They must be getting sick of my bug regorts on this matter by now!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Ohenri wrote:
has anyone made that link between Safari and a mail app so that we can send a link to a page w/o cutiing/pasting it?
YES!

From MacOSXHints.com

An AppleScript to email Safari URLs with titles via Mail
Authored by: amit_kr on Fri, Mar 21 '03 at 01:11PM

I wanted the ability to do the same thing, and found a much simpler and convenient way. Drag the following "url" (actually a javascript) to your bookmark bar:

javascript:location.href='mailto:?SUBJECT='+document.title+'&BODY='+escape(location.href)

and call it whatever (say 'e'). Since this is a bookmark (and not a folder), a hotkey is assigned to it (cmd-0 to cmd-9) by Safari.

Now, whenever you need to send the title/url to someone, just press the hotkey, and that's it!! a mail message is created with the title of the page as the subject, the url as the body, and selection on the "To:" field.

So one could select a part of the webpage, press cmd-c (to copy), cmd-2 (to compose mail with url and title already there), type in mail, tab twice, cmd-v (to paste the part), and send!
Original link found in this thread : Mac OS X Hints.com

But it is not the first hint but the 5 entry.......

·
Registered
719 Posts
the "ladder" site for Warcraft III worked fine until the latest Safari upgrade. Now, it does not.

I also found that I could not sign up for the Labatts blue free phone with Safari.

Being the good Mac user I am, I keep submitting web bugs to Apple. And I keep hoping.

but I do have to say, Apple seems to be addressing problems in a very timely manner, compared to MS.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I thought CIBC online banking didn't have the "content of an unspecified MIME type" message anymore, but it seems to be back.
Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Re: mailing the link - can this be only done in Mail? That's it? No other option for a 3rd party app? [tisk]

Thanks folks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts