Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm currently using a Airport Extreme (6th gen tower) with a couple of 5th gens for extenders as I live in a 120 year old home and walls are thick. The Airports are starting to show their age and I'm thinking of upgrading to a new router with more features (like the ability to block ads, malware and more at the router)

The Synology RT2600AC has caught my eye mainly because I have had a Synology NAS for 5 years and that thing is bulletproof and I'm also familiar with the software too. That being said I cannot find it for sale in Canada yet. Does any one have a suggestion on a good router setup?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
$450.00 for a router?? No way.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
$450.00 for a router?? No way.
what is your privacy and security worth?
There are many products out there that have amazing value if you actually sat down and researched before jumping the gun.

for example i am reading how many users have 4 to 5 repeaters or access points etc..
what if i told you if you bought one amazing Access Point - 1 comes to mind by Aerohive for $320
but if i said you only need one for your whole place - you would be still complaining ?
or do you think it is normal to get crappy wifi points with horrible throughput etc all over the house for twice the price with no features or value?

there are many amazing brands out there if you really wanted to research which have firewalls and access points and management options that would blow your mind if you are ready to open your eyes.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Some guys at the office picked up these recently... said they were fantastic little routers.
Now this is just the router.. but the company has a bunch of different options (including wireless).

If I were upgrading (which I may be soon), I would probably pick up one of these routers (which can do POE) and a used like Cisco Aironet access point (they are awesome_.. hide the access point in the house and power it with POE.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Some guys at the office picked up these recently... said they were fantastic little routers.
Now this is just the router.. but the company has a bunch of different options (including wireless).

If I were upgrading (which I may be soon), I would probably pick up one of these routers (which can do POE) and a used like Cisco Aironet access point (they are awesome_.. hide the access point in the house and power it with POE.

BReligion
i would think twice about cisco wifi.. they are high maintenance and over priced
but you are on the right track - if anything see if you can pick up a cisco WAP 371
or aerohive AP122..
if you want some pricing or assistance - IM / PM me i am cisco and aerohive as well as sophos authorized.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts