Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I'm actually having fun doing this. I'm on my 2nd router in 2 weeks. The 1st one worked fine (Linksys), but I trashed it for a few reasons. One was that I found a cheaper one and also that I plan to buy the same one, but with wifi capabilities, for the office network I'll be setting up. So I like the practice that I'm getting. Which one did I get??

NetGear RP614

Now, I was up and running in a flash. All was love there. Now, where I seem to be messing up, is the email. I can no longer check my email from Rogers. But I could send and receive Mac mail. So I played around a bit, but decided to call Rogers just in case, to see if the mail was down. Nope, up and running. Which meant that the setting on my router maybe the case. I'm thinking more that the Rogers tech did not want to hit me with the specific smtp (smtp.mac.com) or pop (mail.mac.com) server addresses that I have in my Mac mail settings - as they do not support routers. Am I making any sense? Is there a way that I can find that out w/o having to call? I've been looking at the headers of my emails to see... BTW, I'll be calling bright and early to see if someone else will hit me with it. Holla!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Rogers (and every other high speed provider) doesn't support routers, this is true. However, if you call them up and say "I have a firewall, what port do I need to open for email" they should be able to tell you no problems.

I didn't have to open a port in my router for email to get through, and I have a Netgear as well (RP114). Wierd. I am sure one of the more technically minded, less fatigued ehMacians can provide more info.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. I'm gonna try that in a hot minute. I find that odd too... I was fine and dany with the Linksys earlier that day. So this is an adjustment that I'll have to make within Outlook xpress, no? As in, I will have to over ride the default port settings in the account setup?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as I suspected - I had to get the full address path to make this happen (pop.skcsdc.csiuc.jdfe.rogers.com). They don't give up that info as you don't need it - unless you tinker around. So I called again and coerced the tech to give it up! Perfect. All is love again... :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts