Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Dual 867 with the combo drive, Geforce 4, and 1.25 gb of Ram.

One week ago (when we finally set it up for full time use) if my boss had asked me to trade my 533 Digital Audio for the new Dual 867 I would of said sure.

Now, no frickin way. The thing is a lemon, I just hope that all the machines are not as bad as this one. The thing is as loud as a Hoover vacuum and apple said it's "normal". You can here the thing in the neigboring office. We have about 15 macs in use at work right now, and my boss has purchased about 50 total over the last ten years, and our first service call ever has been on this machine.

We are having nothing but problems with it. Please refer to my two posts in the emergency room.

Don't get me wrong, I AM a die hard mac fan, but this thing sucks! Sure it's fast but who cares if it crashes all the time and the monitor doesn't work. And the machine needs to have the Hard Drives repaired every few days.

Has anyone else had any expiernce with the new Power Macs. Please post good or bad.

Once agian, please don't get me wrong, I LOVE macs. The only way you will ever take mine away from me, is to pry it out of my cold dead fingers! I am just saying the new powers are maybe not that great.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will probably not be "unloading it" We are going to get it fixed, it juts really frustrating, thats all.
I feel like I have sinned every time I want to kick it across the room.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Nick wrote:
"We have a Dual 867 with the combo drive, Geforce 4, and 1.25 bg of Ram."

We've got (basically) the same machine at work, except it's a dual 1GHz with a SuperDrive.

"The thing is as loud as a Hoover vacuum and apple said it's "normal". You can here the thing in the neigboring office."

Our "Windtunnel" is pretty loud, too. I'd say it's comparable to a Dell machine from a few years ago (the new Dell machines we've got are dead silent -- quite a surprise)

"We are having nothing but problems with it. Please refer to my two posts in the emergency room."

"Has anyone else had any expiernce with the new Power Macs. Please post good or bad."

Ours has been quite good -- we leave it on 24x7 and haven't had any software or hardware problems with it. Methinks you got a lemon.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Nick we've sold about 45 units since August. Just this week we've had two that we would consider "lemons" just plain unstable no matter what and the replacement had a motherboard tht was not fully seated - bent up on one corner :rolleyes: .
I really suspected RAM problems and I KNOW there are drive firmware issues on the 100 meg bus that crop up from time to time. We replaced the 867 ot a sophisticated client who had a complicated audio installation and immediately the machine settled right down after his having had an 8 hour evening that sounds like your last few days.
So I changed the RAM to 2700 thinking that might be the problem and inflicted it on our audio guy. ;) oooops
Same old same old, bus errors, intermittent crashes squirrelly stuff.
Changed his out, settled right down. Officially declared a lemon now and in for service.
There will always be imperfect machines - two in one week bugged me. :mad:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Well, I dont have one, but the Dual 1GHz that we have on display runs like a top. It doesn't so much like video mirroring when the displays are totally different sizes, but that is a different issue all together, and one that doesnt so much matter.

It is loud, but no louder than any of the PC machines we have on display, and our new Cool Blue Dual Athlon XP MP 2000+ machine is far noisier (there are untold number of fans in that thing).

Bad machines are an unfortunate fact of any run of any computer line, or pretty much any other product as well. Annoying though, isnt it?

--PB

·
Registered
259 Posts
The "windtunnel" or "leafblower 1.0" problem is well discussed in Apple's discussion boards. Apparently there's a problem with the power supply and a new model of fans the machines used.:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bbaf764/77

But anyways, bring it back. Totally. I've had a few dead Macs in my time. They're machines, like anything else, and a small number of them will have some issues. Some are catastophic. Most of them will get fixed when you bring it back.

This is where the extended warranty comes in handy

-SJ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts