Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far Steve has announced the new 17" PowerBook.

17-inch: 1.33GHz, 512K L3 cache. 2GB maximum memory. Gains USB 2.0 as well.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Alright.... what are the thoughts???

the 15" is nice. USB 2.0 is cool... an optional 80G 5400 HD is off the hook!! :D Whose the manfuac. of the drive?? I side with the Travelstars... way too quiet. Bluetooth? count me in. The styling is all that we expected... I wish I could spend some more time... I have to drive to HAM this AM for the last time... ;)

La ultima pregunta (the last/ultimate question): When are they shipping? :confused:

H!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Why no L3 cache, I just noticed none of the new Powerbooks have L3 cache. Isn't that a bit of a step back? Before only the 12 inch was without the L3 cache, now they don't want the others to feel left out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I see a apple wireless keyboard and mouse but it appears that it's only 1 button :(

ehem... apologies, didn't see the other thread...

[ September 16, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: dibenga ]

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Virtually no difference for the 12" PB... new is USB 2.0 and faster processor and 256K more L2 Cache... nothing else changed.... same dimensions.

I got my 12" PB G4 a month ago and was concerned that it was going to be outdated very soon... looks like it is still in the running ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
12" also has a DVI port now instead of just VGA and support for 1 GB RAM chips for a total of 1.25 GB RAM.

I'd say those are worth mentioning.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Yeah... I missed the mini-dvi and the ram, but all in all I am not lossing ANY sleep over my 12" PB G4 purchase and this update.

I couldn't ever see myself using a DVI connector (mac DVI monitors while amazing to look at are just WAY to expensive).

The RAM... yeah that's a drag, however I'm still running 256 and only notice things slowing down when I use iMovie/iDVD and/or VirtualPC

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I am very impressed by the new Powerbooks. Very good job, Apple! :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
:eek: They are so expensive. It will cost me 4700-5100 for both a 12" with SuperDrive or a 15" with a SuperDrive. This is Canadian, with 1 GB of RAM (As it is, 512 is getting small on my QuickSilver), and the 80GB HD (the 5400 as the extra speed is quite noticable). Thats how much a year's tuition costs at the University of Calgary. I guess I won't be getting an iSight or an iPod with it. :(

I just wonder though, how much a comprable Dell would cost...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Huh? The Canadian Apple Store has the new 15" PB with SuperDrive for $3699...the 12" with SuperDrive is listed at $2549

Where are you getting your numbers from?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
insertclevename asked:
"Why no L3 cache, I just noticed none of the new Powerbooks have L3 cache. Isn't that a bit of a step back? Before only the 12 inch was without the L3 cache, now they don't want the others to feel left out."

The only reason the G4 had a L3 cache before was because the L2 cache was painfully small (256k). 256k is not exactly very big when it comes to caches, but since Moto took their sweet time updating it Apple added in a L3 cache as a stopgap measure.

If you look at the website, the new G4s have a 512k L2 cache (which is the same size as the G5, the G3, the P4, and a couple others) which will outperform the L3 cache G4s before it. Main reason being that the L2 cache is on chip, whereas the L3 was always off chip.

To sum up, if you put the old 1 Ghz G4 powerbook (with a 256k L2 cache and 1 MB L3 cache) up against the new 1 Ghz G4 (with a 512K L2 cache) the new one should at least perform equally, but will probably win out quite handily.

Oh, and for those that are wondering, this is a new model of the G4. The previous model was MPC 7455, the new one is MPC 7457.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Virtually no difference for the 12" PB... new is USB 2.0 and faster processor and 256K more L2 Cache... nothing else changed.... same dimensions.
12" also has a DVI port now instead of just VGA and support for 1 GB RAM chips for a total of 1.25 GB RAM
Also worthy of note:
GeForce FX 5200 Go 32MB AGP 4x

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
VGG - Its with some of the upgrades I would be getting. RAM, AppleCare, and possibly better hard drive.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
elmer - For $99CDN, you can upgrade your normal keyboard to a backlit keyboard on the 15" Combo Drive Version.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
chealion said:
"the 80GB HD (the 5400 as the extra speed is quite noticable)."

Just a note, there will be a speed increase with a 5400 RPM drive, but also a drop in battery life.

--PB

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
PosterBoy - Do you know how large of a drop, or anything about how much of an impact that comes with the 5400 RPM drive? Its natural with the hard drive turning faster, more power will be needed, but how much of a hit is the battery going to take? Or will we have to wait for battery tests of the new machines that may come out within the month?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
It is difficult to quantify really, but a drop anyway. It will really depend on what you are doing and how much what you are doing works our hard drive.

It would probably be better to wait for the comparisons that will undoubtedly come out, or maybe just google the subject.

--PB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts