Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PARALLELS DESKTOP 3.0 FOR MAC DELIVERS:
Completely Seamless User Experience:

* Cross OS application & file integration with Parallels SmartSelect
* Offline access to virtual machine files with Paralles Explorer
* Coherence 2.0, including shared folders and UI enhancements
* Linux Tools for seamless integration betwen Mac OS X and Linux

Native Hardware Experience

* 3D graphics support to play the hottest games and run the most popular applications
* Expanded support for USB 2.0 devices
* USB connection assistant quickly connects you to your OS of choice
* Shared printers for cross OS printing
* Significantly enhancements performance and audio quality

Protection against Mishaps

* Hit a problem? Quickly and easily go back in time to a clean VM state
* Bulletproof your VMs with SnapShots
* Control the levels of integration and isolation with Security Manager
* Make your virtual machine read-only
* Get virus and spyware protection with a FREE 6-month Kaspersky subscription trial
There will be more to come!!

Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac

·
Registered
993 Posts
I just ordered an upgrade to my Parallels yesterday. The shared printer function was what did it for me. I just bought a new Brother laser printer to replace an HP that stopped working and I can't seem to print on the Brother from Parallels.

·
Registered
814 Posts
We've had a high-end Brother printer for about 9 months... even on it's native Windows these printers seem to be plagued with driver issues! I now use it only with a Pismo n MacBook as driver issues don't exist with the Macintosh! Not looking forward to the day my dad will force me to reformat our family's Microsoft Grey Box!XX)

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Okay I just upgrade to 3.0 which they raised up from $39.95 preorder to $49.95 upgrade in a day. :| An extra $10USD.. oh well... anyway installed it and immediately had a kernel panic on first run, the restart took 10 minutes, and Spotlight needed to be reindexed, but otherwise it runs like a charm. 3D games, expect the equivalent for a GMA 950 and nothing more for DirectX games, but OpenGL seems to run at near native speeds. Although not nearly enough to make me ditch BootCamp, it's still a recommended upgrade!

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is ridiculous!

I noticed that Best Buy has Parallels on sale for $89.99 this week. I picked up a copy on my lunch hour thinking that I can simply use the Activation Key from the retail copy on the fully operational Trial Version that I recently downloaded. On my first attempt, it said that the retail version Activation Key could not be used on the Trial Version. WTF?

I next removed the Trial Version from my MBP and installed the Retail Version. Worked great, but I found out that the versioin I bought was not Version 3. I then had it check for the update in the hopes that it would automatically download Version 3. Makes sense, doesn't it? No dice. After the installation of the update, a splash screen comes up saying that I may be eligible for a upgrade to Version 3...but I have to print and mail in the Registration Page along with my sales receipt. Not only do I have to mail in those items (c'mon, mail? This is the twenty first century!), but I have to mail it to a company (not Parallels) in Texas...that will email me with a link to download Version 3.

WTF????

·
Registered
399 Posts
read the box next time.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Because when that version of Parallels was distributed it was the only one available Parallels I guess didn't think they would have to put the version number on the box. Since Parallels 3.0 was just released and the copy-writes on the box would have been for last year or older somebody could assume that the box was an older version. Of course nobody in their right mind would look at a stupid copy-write on a box for a date so there is no surprise to me that somebody would purchase the old one thinking it was the new version.

As far as I have seen around Ottawa, the only versions that are in stores is the old Parallels 2.5. I could be proven wrong since I don't look the parallel box since I already have it. Maybe it isn't being sold through retail stores in Canada.

Even if you had asked somebody at Best Buy they would have no clue what is going on with Parallels. I would even be surprised if a staff member knew that there was a new version that was produced.

In the end I don't think you were the first to be fooled, and I don't think you will be the last Bluntman. Maybe if Best buy sells all the old versions they will get the new one... With that said they still only have the old version for sale online.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The retail box for 3.0 now includes the version number right on the box, I saw it at a local Apple Store.

In the end, everything turned out well - I was able to get the upgrade to 3.0. I guess it was a just a matter of bad timing on my part, with the Canada Day and Independence Day holidays all occurring within the same week. Now if only I can figure out how to transition between the Parallels desktop (running XP in fullscreen) and OS X, without having to use a third party program (Desktop Manager).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yea be careful when you buy software from Best Buy that you're buying the right version. Last time I was in there I saw they still have iLife 05 for pretty much the same price as 06.

That's the problem you face when you go to a big box store like that for apple stuff. Chances are the guy helping hasn't a clue about apple and you have to wait longer for them to get the updates for products longer than real apple resellers.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Windows Install CD Invisible

I've tried to use Parallels so many times on their free trial basis but it refuses to work. Load the software, the virtual machine opens, I click new, throw in my MS install disk and nothing happens - it refuses to install Windows. In fact, the CD is not even visible (to both Windows and OS X) - until I close Parallels, and then the icon magically appears on my desktop.

I only have one favourite Windows program I want to run so I am using a copy of ME, which is fine for my purposes.

Very frustrating though because no matter what I do the Virtual Machine can't see the install CD and so no operating system gets installed.

Can't find any assistance for such troubles on the Parallels web site. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've tried to use Parallels so many times on their free trial basis but it refuses to work. Load the software, the virtual machine opens, I click new, throw in my MS install disk and nothing happens - it refuses to install Windows. In fact, the CD is not even visible (to both Windows and OS X) - until I close Parallels, and then the icon magically appears on my desktop.

I only have one favourite Windows program I want to run so I am using a copy of ME, which is fine for my purposes.

Very frustrating though because no matter what I do the Virtual Machine can't see the install CD and so no operating system gets installed.

Can't find any assistance for such troubles on the Parallels web site. Anyone else experienced this?
Are you sure its not a Windows ME upgrade CD? I had a copy of Windows XP that was just an upgrade version, not a full install, and was not a bootable disc. Parallels wont touch it if its not a bootable disc.

Having said that, Parallels has been rock solid for me and has installed everything I have thrown at it.

Trev

·
Registered
591 Posts
Genuine Microsoft Software

Well I am stumped, Microsoft is completely useless with tech support

I get a "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting, This copy did not pass genuine Windows validation' EVERY time I boot parallels.

It's because I use the boot camp partition and Windows thinks parallels is a different machine.

ANYONE know how to fix this?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Well I am stumped, Microsoft is completely useless with tech support

I get a "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting, This copy did not pass genuine Windows validation' EVERY time I boot parallels.

It's because I use the boot camp partition and Windows thinks parallels is a different machine.

ANYONE know how to fix this?
just another reason I run pure boot camp and ditched Parallels 15 minutes after I installed it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts