Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need a new computer for graphic design purposes, but unsure whether to buy the older imac or the new imac.

just wondering what are the main differences between the two that should factor into my decision.

I haven't seen the new glossy screen, and i guess it'll come down to people's preference, but that's the one thing that's leaning me towards the older imac. I understand reflection is the main concern, but I also wonder, will it better reflect the colours I see on screen with the colours when printed.

I understand there's so much factors that play into the colours being outputed right, but I have not had any big problems with the non-glossy monitors I've used. Is this a concern I should have?

Thanks for any advice/input :)

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
This is where companies like BestBuy come in really handy. Buy your Mac from there with the glossy display take it home and try it out. You have up to 15 days to make up your mind. If you decide it's not right for you, then bring it back for a full refund.

For what it's worth, I've been working on both kinds of screens and I really don't find the gloss to be all that big of a deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just say the highest end mac pro is what you absolutely needbeejacon
but anyways, it is always better to buy a newer system especially for work unless you want to be one of those people that opt for the older imac and blame it on the computer when their work isn't good. ;)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just say the highest end mac pro is what you absolutely needbeejacon
but anyways, it is always better to buy a newer system especially for work unless you want to be one of those people that opt for the older imac and blame it on the computer when their work isn't good. ;)
newer system is what I've personally always opt for and it is work getting it... not sure if they'll go for the mac pro, but a mac pro would be really sweet to have, though I'd need to make a case for me to have it... hmmmm....

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
It won't be too great for colour correction, from what I understand the previous iMacs have a better display for graphics. But either one should be fine, just make sure they load up on the ram, we have a 3 year old dual G5 with 3gb of ram and it seems to be running so slow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It won't be too great for colour correction, from what I understand the previous iMacs have a better display for graphics. But either one should be fine, just make sure they load up on the ram, we have a 3 year old dual G5 with 3gb of ram and it seems to be running so slow.
I'll second the monitor being of a lower quality. Macdoc has a write up about monitors that mentions that the new imacs. "new iMacs and the TN monitors at lower prices are 6 bit with dithering to "sort of" do millions (of colours)." www.www.macdoc.com

I use a G5 20" at work for print work and it's got a real nice monitor. Those new imacs sure look nice though...

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
older imac. I understand reflection is the main concern, but I also wonder, will it better reflect the colours I see on screen with the colours when printed.
I prefer a matte screen myself; though at my home office I have adjusted the lighting so that I do not get any reflections. In fact, my system has a glossy screen (it is a CRT), while the second monitor is matte. Corrections for colours are handled by the ColorSync utility, though the defaults for my system work quite well. I do have to correct the Gamma of some pictures that I receive from other systems, but for my purposes, Graphic Converter X has been adequate.

I find glossy screens on laptops to be annoying just because you can not regulate the lighting in those places where you use it. A desktop, on the other hand, the situation can somewhat be controlled just because you will probably not be moving it around alot. (Though some photographers do mount their iMacs on a cart and haul them to shoots.)

I understand there's so much factors that play into the colours being outputed right, but I have not had any big problems with the non-glossy monitors I've used. Is this a concern I should have?
The monitor is one aspect of the colours being correct. The other is correct settings for any cameras, video convertors or scanners as input devices; as well as correct settings for your printing devices. Again, if those parts of the system do need correction, you can use ColorSync.

So if your lighting is adequate and does not cause undue glare on the screen; the business case should be for the purchase of the machine that can do the task, without worrying about the glossy vs. matte screen problem. Perhaps the whole problems with 6 bit vs. 8 bit colours is a much more important factor in the accuracy of colours, and should be considered first.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for everyone's input... just a thought though... the new imac in comparison is better, would it be ideal then to get the new imac and use my old monitor as a second monitor, thus I can have the power of the imac, yet if I really end up hating the glossy screen, I can use my old monitor as my work area.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking. Glossy screen for the uses that suit it best and keep the matt finish display for checking colour accuracy. I'm not too concerned about reflections as my work set up now is arranged to keep reflections from the crt.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Yes we sell a designer bundle under 2k with the base 20" - a Sammie 2.15T and 2 gigs of ram for exactly that purpose.

8 bit matte for colour and 6bit glossy for palette and media. Best of both.

Hmm have to see if the Sammie will rotate on the 2600 card - that would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
thanks for everyone's input... just a thought though... the new imac in comparison is better, would it be ideal then to get the new imac and use my old monitor as a second monitor, thus I can have the power of the imac, yet if I really end up hating the glossy screen, I can use my old monitor as my work area.

any thoughts?
Seems reasonable to me.

I think there will be aftermarket products that negate the glossy screen. Either you will be able to buy a new glass screen or put something a film over it.

I'm not worried about it. Mine will arrive this morning and be ready for me when I get home.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts

any thoughts?
If pricing, aesthetics and desk real estate is not a concern - get what MacDoc suggested.
If they are a concern get the old. I do notice the difference between my just sold 24inch and my new 20inch. The 24 just seemed sharper but my new glossy has richer colours.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well... i'm going to propose getting the new imac 20", 2.4ghz with 4GB of ram, but show them as well how it compares with the old imac, as well as the lower end of the new imac with the 2.0ghz.

my thoughts now is, the ram. I've installed ram on my own imac (first model of intels) to save money. If I offer this option of buying ram outside and me installing it myself, how much would I save, roughly? or should I just order it already installed?

anyone installed ram on the new machines yet?

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
well... i'm going to propose getting the new imac 20", 2.4ghz with 4GB of ram, but show them as well how it compares with the old imac, as well as the lower end of the new imac with the 2.0ghz.

my thoughts now is, the ram. I've installed ram on my own imac (first model of intels) to save money. If I offer this option of buying ram outside and me installing it myself, how much would I save, roughly? or should I just order it already installed?

anyone installed ram on the new machines yet?
Apple couldn't of made it easier. One screw - that's it. I find that Apple charges twice as much for RAM pre-installed then you buying it on your own.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Apple couldn't of made it easier. One screw - that's it. I find that Apple charges twice as much for RAM pre-installed then you buying it on your own.

calculated it last night and it's around $900 to customize the imac to 4GB while I can order a 4GB kit from CanadaRam for around $300, $600 savings most definitely will make a difference

1 - 18 of 18 Posts