Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds good to me. An upgraded G4 @ 1.8 GHz is excatly what we need. And DDR-based, even better. If Moto pulls this off, we don't need IBM or GPUL processors just yet.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I've been gone a few days from the board, so I am suprised no one has mentioned this. Here is a summary from Architosh:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> It appears from this road map that the next Motorola "G-something" processor will be a G4, its model number being MPC7457, with a MHz range between 867-1833MHz. This chip is based on a SOI (silicon on insulator), .13micron process and appears planned for sometime in 2003. The MPC7457-RM chip, planned for 2004 is more mysterious and includes RapidIO.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rumour has it this will be a G4+ or something along those lines. An updated G4 with a true DDR bus, a fast bus, and up wo 1.8 GHz.

On the downside, by that point we will still be anywhere from 1 to 2.5 GHz behind in terms of speed (and before you start, I mean the numbers not the performance). But still, hopefully Moto can pull this out of their butt and we will have a new low end processor, right below the IBM GPUL.

Here's hoping.

--PB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts