Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I was holding out for. 4 GB, and the size of a credit card! :D :cool:

·
Registered
809 Posts
But still to frikkin expensive $249US ~= $319CDN
That aint going to get past "The Finance Dept" in my home :(

I was really hoping for a 2GB priced at $150 US

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think they totally missed the mark on this one.. There's no way I'd buy one of these that holds only 1,000 songs, when I can spend an extra $50 and get a 15 gig model that holds over 10,000 songs. It's still too expensive to compete with the other flash players.

I was almost sure that after I heard about the $70 micro drives, that we'd see a 2 gig mini iPod for around $150.. Now that would've been something to get excited about. Anyways, just my opinion.

Adam

·
Registered
282 Posts
DAMNIT! I was sitting there shouting:

"Say $149! Say $149 and you'll rule the WORLD! The WORLD!!! It will be yours for the taking! $149!!!!"

Jobs: "...all this for... $249!"

"NOOOOOOOOOooooOOoOOOOOOoOooO!!!!!!!"

FOOLISH! FOOLISH APPLE!!!

What's the point of THAT!??? $50 more and you can jump into the 15GB model. They TOTALLY freaking missed the boat on that one...

I'm SO MAD!!!! AGH!!!!!!!

I mean, for crying out loud! Take a LOSS if you have to! Put an iPod in EVERY home in the US and TAKE A LOSSSSSSS!!!! ARGH! Razor blades! Not Razors!!!

I'm literally tearing my hair out!! It's Larry Ellison's fault, I'm sure of it!!

Did anyone else notice the total lack of support from the crowd when he mentioned the price-point? Pfffff!

:mad:

·
Registered
196 Posts
A couple of thoughts:
1) How much markup would a $100 device provide considering that iTMS is a loss leader (or very close)? Likely zip.

2) The new Mini is very likely solid-state, and all the benefits that will provide (ie, great for jogging, longer battery life, etc.)

[oops, wrong on point #2, it is mini HD based
]

Tony

[ January 06, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: tonyhere ]

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Ya but you're still going to have to wait until April for it, unless 1. Apple is arrogant enough to consider Canada as part of the U.S. and will ship it in February or 2. You drive over the bridge and pick one up!

He also mentioned that the 10gig is now 15gig at the same price, so is the line up now 15, 20, 40? If so, I find that a little strange.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Im picking one up the day I see it on store shelves to compliment my 40 gb, just need something smaller, less precious for some abuse I don't want to put my 40 gig through.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Product: Great.
Price: Lame. :rolleyes:

The dead silence of the audience after the price announcement said it all (insert crickets chirping).

That is nowhere near being able to knock off the high-end flash players. The reason those things sell is because that is all the folks buying them can afford. Giving it to them for "only $50 dollars more," as Steve said, is not going to help them get it.

Plain and simple...Apple has missed it on the price point.

Further...not a peep on battery life. Given the recent hoopla about poor battery life in iPods and iBooks, this was an area Steve should have addressed. As an aside, the battery on the 3rd gen 10GB iPod I bought for my hubby this past August is ALREADY DEAD!!!

While I am underwhelmed by the iPod news, I am extremely pleased with iLife '04. I never did get the last version, but I will go out and buy this latest version. Garage Band is what I have been wanting and the iPhoto improvements alone are worth the price of admission.

Pity about the iPod though. But at least Steve did note that there will be several exciting new products to come out over the course of Apple's 20th anniversary year.

Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I mean, for crying out loud! Take a LOSS if you have to! Put an iPod in EVERY home in the US and TAKE A LOSSSSSSS!!!!
Yes, it would have been nice if it was cheaper, but Apple can't sell them at a loss as this is where Apple makes up for the Itunes Music Store, which they run for no profit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Go look at the Apple.com frontispage...

YEAH! YOU BETTER MAKE THAT PRICE A SMALL POINT SIZE STEVE!!!

Maybe they should have gone with a 5 or 6pt font?

Better still, squirrel it away at the end of the tech sheet - in the disclaimer somewhere...

It's embarrassing!

They've relegated the iPod Mini into the niche market now, noone in their right mind without an iPod would consider a $50 reduction versus a 1/14th of the storage as a positive spin...

Garageband on the other hand! OUCH! NICE!

They should have saved it until last. That way the crowd would still be buzzing. Lessen the sting, so to speak...

:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Guess I'll be keeping my 10 gig iPod then

I was thinking about putting the buttons on the wheel too!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Oh, and another thing.

The 4GB iPod Mini is only $50 cheaper than a 15GB iPod. What have they been smoking in Cupertino???

Yes, they look cool though. :rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
282 Posts
PREDICTION:

Two months from now the iPod Mini will drop to $199.

By May/June, it'll drop again to $149. Then maybe the wise consumer will start to consider it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
According to Apple's web page the new 4GB model is not solid state but contains a hard drive.

It'll be interesting to see if these things sell or not.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wonder how much they could shave off the price if they went with a reinforced GRP casing instead of aluminum? I imagine the enclosure itself is pricey to manufacture!

Heck! Then they could sell fancier hard cases as protective shells from the store with swanky Apple industrial designs and their covetted branding.

Ah man...$149 would have been the PERFECT pricepoint for this thing...

WHY!???? WHYYYYYYYyyyYyYYYYY?????

1 - 20 of 82 Posts