Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just got a new mbp, and having only used pcs for 20+ years, i have a questions with i thought more experienced users could help me with: :)

1. How best to clean the screen and how best to keep it dust free
2. When carry MBP in say a backpack, what the best protection (e.g sleeve, glove???)
3. OSX has an inbuild firewall (incoming), but what can i use to monitor and restrict outgoing programs (e.g programs 'phoning home')
4. What are some decent drive utilities (apart from the inbuild)
5. What software/programs can i deleted? (i.e stuff that you dont use)
6. What utility is good for optimizing the hard drive/system?
7. How does one back up a mac. I.e nice fresh install with programs etc, but want to clone the data is case of hdd failure?

Cheers in advance
-Craig :D

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
1. The cloth that comes with sunglasses, or cameras etc is perfect for removing dust.
2. Sleeve, then a backpack.
3. Little Snitch is a great utility for monitoring outgoing connections.
4. Drive utilities? Disk Warrior is a good one, Data Rescue II is always handy.
5. GarageBand has tons of loops hidden away (GBs worth).
6. Not really worth it - I never run any utilities unless something breaks - only a few times in many years.
7. SuperDuper! is the app for this...free for full clones, if you pay, you can be more selective of what is backed up.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Question 4 answers Question 6. Disk Warrior repairs drive problems and optimizes the volume at the same time. No need to get additional 'optimization' utilities as they make little difference for the most part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question 4 answers Question 6. Disk Warrior repairs drive problems and optimizes the volume at the same time. No need to get additional 'optimization' utilities as they make little difference for the most part.
Sweet!
Thankyou lars.
:)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
5. What software/programs can i deleted? (i.e stuff that you dont use)
Macs are not Dells... ;)

That being said, JohnClay is right -- Garageband is a great program, but if you're not going it use it, it does take up a lot of room.

You can choose which iLife apps get installed if you do a clean install from the CDs that came with your laptop.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
4 & 6. Yes, Diskwarrior is great.
5. And of course, you can use monolingual to remove the language installs you don't need. Usually frees up several GBs of space.

·
Registered
781 Posts
iDVD is also a very large program, and if you're not going to use it, can be deleted. I moved all of my iDVD themes to my external HD, so they're still usable, but they're not taking up space on my local drive. Did the same with my GB loops.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Macs are not Dells... ;)

That being said, JohnClay is right -- Garageband is a great program, but if you're not going it use it, it does take up a lot of room.

You can choose which iLife apps get installed if you do a clean install from the CDs that came with your laptop.
He can delete those trial apps that's included when you first start your mac. office, filemaker, etc... although its not as much as dell there are still some.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A lot of space can be reclaimed from the hard drive
iDVD about 1.6GB
GarageBand 1.6GB
Unwanted Languages about 2GB depending on what you delete.
Unnecessary Printer drivers about 2GB.

That will get you approximately 6GB extra space on your hard drive.

Obviously If you have iLife and never use it.....

Use apps such as Disk Inventory X to see if you have forgotten any large files on your hard drive.

However it's much easier to do all this as you reinstall the OS as sometimes messing with the languages and printer drivers may cause some problems.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Disc Warrior does NOT optimize a drive. It's a one trick pony ( a very good one ) that repairs directories.

iDefrag is an optimization & defragmentation program which works on FILES. Disk Warrior, on the other hand, works on the disk's directory -it doesn't defrag or optimize disk files. By running Disk Warrior you have not been optimizing your disk, you've been repairing its directory.
IDefrag or Drive Genius will optimize and we've found that optimization is very useful - there is little fragmentmentation but the folder structures get scattered and the optimization apps to a good job of correcting that. Drive Genius the best Swiss Army knife for Mac drives.

SuperDuper is the ideal cloning/backu program. Alternate day cloning is the best for data security and a bit of protection against accidental deletion.

There are some decent utilities for desintalling apps as well. Check versiontracker.com - tons of good stuff there but do read the reviews and perhaps check here.

I would not worry about dust etc on the screen - better left alone unless it gets really oily. It's just plastic - there are decent kits about that do no harm.

Backpacks designed for portables with the sleeve right at your back are ideal. Roots has a sweet camera bag that is light and very protective of the MBP. Not so cheap tho.

And remember stay OFF any virus protection junk - you don't need it.
Backup is critical tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts