Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember when this forum was all about the Mac? How were were all excited about upcoming Apple events, speculating about the new gear, arguing specs... What happened to us? :confused:

Apple's 10 November Event released a bunch of new things, but it all centred around the new Apple Silicon M1 chip.

New Macs with the M1 inside:

MacBook Air

MacBook Pro 13"

MacMini

Big Sur is coming out on Thursday, 12 Nov.

Here's the video of today's event.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Agreed CubaMark, it's sad.

Really, really like the new gear, though I was hoping for an M1 iMac, so I might wait a while for that. I just like the AIO route, and have no need of another laptop. That said, despite the presentation being done in pandemic mode (I miss the crowd reactions) I have to admit I found this as exciting as some of the reveals around 2007-2011. Feels like something brand new.

My only concern is upgradability. The M1 Mac mini seems to top out at 16GB RAM, and I'm not sure that you can augment that after purchase.

EDIT: Seems 16GB is the most the current architecture supports.

"There’s another reason Apple isn’t taking its traditional approach of charging customers a hefty premium to include more RAM in their MacBooks: it can’t. Currently, the M1 cannot support more than 16GB of memory."

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I like the battery life in the laptops but after that I am just not thrilled by any of it. Still outrageous prices if you need 512 gigs of hard drive space which is nothing these days and should not cost what Apple charges. I bought an M1 SSD 1 TB for around $105 CDN from a name brand a year and a half ago. Why is Apple charing a premium price of $250 to get to 512 gigs? I am sure on paper it is faster but when you are not talking pro level computers with a limitation of 16 gigs of ram there should not be this high markup. For a base level MacBook Pro 13" you are paying $2000K just to have one with a 512 gig hard drive.

I am curious to see how Apple's chips work and perform. Apple generally does good with their own hardware using their own software/OS so hopefully some great things there.

I am not ready to jump into pure 64 bit architecture. Unfortunately I have a few small apps that I use regularly that are not updated and possible will never be. Yes I will eventually have to leave them behind but the updates to the OS are hardly exciting these days and I have been content being a few versions behind. This coming from a guy who was an early adopter for each and every OS X update right from 10.0.

Also Apple's refusal to do any upgrades to your computer after you bought it is horrible and leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I think about the company I used to extol and recommend to friends and family. Apple has pushed to far in their designs while ignoring little things like RAM and HD upgrades. Other companies seem to have no issues with razor thin computers and they don't seem to have this issue. I have not watched the event yet and possibly won't. The glory days of Apple and the excitement of an event are gone for me. While I still love tech and where it is going, Apple is just not that interesting anymore.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I get turned off a bit by the hyperbole and the endless descriptors aimed at generating "wow" but just leave me cringing... The pandemic-era events are certainly slicker than much that has gone before, but we have lost that sense of the magician on the stage revealing the latest & greatest with "showmanship". We all like a bit of theatre, eh?

My son's 2009 iMac is hitting its limit, particularly in terms of its GPU, for the current games he would like to play, and as he grows his expectations / frustrations will grow as well. So on that front, the MacMini is tempting. 16gb of RAM should be fine for most things for a few years yet.

That said, wonderings' criticism of upgradability and the price of internal components that shouldn't be charged a premium is right on the money. Frustrating. Glad I did the research and went for my 27" iMac instead of the non-RAM-upgradable 21.5-inch model.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
That said, wonderings' criticism of upgradability and the price of internal components that shouldn't be charged a premium is right on the money. Frustrating. Glad I did the research and went for my 27" iMac instead of the non-RAM-upgradable 21.5-inch model.
I agree, but to be fair, it's SoC, so there's not a lot of room for EURPs. I don't feel it's an arbitrary choice to limit users in this case.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Personally, I get turned off a bit by the hyperbole and the endless descriptors aimed at generating "wow" but just leave me cringing... The pandemic-era events are certainly slicker than much that has gone before, but we have lost that sense of the magician on the stage revealing the latest & greatest with "showmanship". We all like a bit of theatre, eh?

My son's 2009 iMac is hitting its limit, particularly in terms of its GPU, for the current games he would like to play, and as he grows his expectations / frustrations will grow as well. So on that front, the MacMini is tempting. 16gb of RAM should be fine for most things for a few years yet.

I thought I was venting a little to much so I left that out of my initial post. No one likes some preaching how righteous they are and Apple does that beyond the cringe level. All this talk of helping people and giving back yet the only people who really can afford their products or those well financially. I really wish Apple would get out of the creative element and focus on tools for real world working creatives. They are so out of touch which is shown in their Mac Pro lineup. Great machine for sure but for a niche market in the creative community.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
They are so out of touch which is shown in their Mac Pro lineup. Great machine for sure but for a niche market in the creative community.
To be honest, I was refreshed with the Mac Pro, especially after years of hobbling that line, and the MacBook Pro line. It's a powerhouse machine aimed at (some) pros. I'll never own one, because my career path doesn't overlap their target audience. But at least it wasn't yet another designed for the masses as we've seen for near going on a decade.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
To be honest, I was refreshed with the Mac Pro, especially after years of hobbling that line, and the MacBook Pro line. It's a powerhouse machine aimed at (some) pros. I'll never own one, because my career path doesn't overlap their target audience. But at least it wasn't yet another designed for the masses as we've seen for near going on a decade.
I agree it is a beast but not developed for a wider market of pros. I am a pro user, I make my living working with Adobe Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. I like my 5K iMac but it would be nice to have a little more flexibility with upgradeability. If I go with a base model Mac Pro I am looking at $7500 before taxes. So really there is nothing from Apple that has some user upgradeability options at a reasonable price. I can do a well sorted out iMac 5K with good specs for half but lose any upgradeability beyond RAM. There is middle no middle ground. I do not remember if that prices for the Dual G4's and 5's were that astronomically high when they came out so maybe this is Apple just doing what they always did, but I am thinking they have just gone up in price as they have done with the phones. Slap the word pro on a iPhone and charge a crazy premium.

I was trying to get a Dual G4 running a few months ago and forgot how great those builds were. It really showed off Apple's design prowess. Now we have a really powerful cheese grater.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Big Sur is coming out on Thursday, 12 Nov.
I have the Beta version of Big Sur and don't care for it. An example is, notifications that appear on screen can not be delayed for any future time other than what is a default. The default seems to 15 minutes. Both Mail and my Day One programs fail to fully open with one click on the icon in the dock. A second click and often multiple clicks are necessary to open the program's window.

Sometimes it seems Apple wants to change things just to make them different without making them better or easier.

My old 13" laptop works just fine but I'll watch and listen for information on the new chip set.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
So really there is nothing from Apple that has some user upgradeability options at a reasonable price. I can do a well sorted out iMac 5K with good specs for half but lose any upgradeability beyond RAM. There is middle no middle ground.
I was under the impression the most recent Minis (not the M1s) were quite upgradable, and relatively powerful. Do they not fit the bill?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I was under the impression the most recent Minis (not the M1s) were quite upgradable, and relatively powerful. Do they not fit the bill?
I know the Mini is a little upgradeable but it is not simple. I have upgraded some old Mini's with SSD's and that is some operation. Not sure hard but nothing like going into a tower as Apple has done in the past. It was such a great feature to be able to add hard drive's simply and easily with little fuss. Back in the day our 2 production G4's would have all 4 bays full and space was never something I thought about. Now on my 5K iMac which has 1TB SSD, I have around 50 gigs free, which fluctuates. I offloaded the data storage to a USB drive, have USB drive connected for TimeMachine and have a 3rd USB drive I use for some personal storage and as a scratch drive for Photoshop and will use it for Adobe After Effects once I get the hang of the basics. This leaves me with one USB spot left. Yes I could do a hub, or buy a multi bay hard drive enclosure but that does not accomplish what I want in a powerful work computer and has a tangle of things connected to what could and should be a simple elegant design while functional and giving me what I need.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting....

"the new MacBook Air with M1 chip can beat all models of
the 16-inch MacBook Pro with Intel processors."

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I watched one popular youtubers review of the M1 and he was pretty impressed. Apple has generally been great with their own software and their own hardware integration making it much more powerful then what the numbers imply. Problem is everyone else. Apparently Photoshop won't have native software for the new cpu till sometime next year. Not sure if that only means for Photoshop of the entire CC suite.

It does seem the prices of the M1's are a little cheaper then their intel counter parts but then I am not sure how the M1 stacks up with its GPU processing.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wonderings, the M1 chips have 8-core GPUs. Apparently that's pretty powerful. I haven't gotten into the nuts and bolts...

It does appear that we'll need to learn new things, like startup key combinations, according to MacRumors:

How to Get to macOS Recovery

On Intel Macs, you hold Command R when turning on the Mac to get to macOS Recovery for reinstalling macOS, accessing Disk Utility, or restoring from a Time Machine backup.

On an *Apple Silicon* Mac, you can still get to macOS Recovery, but the key presses are different. Turn on the Mac, press and hold the power button until the startup options window comes up, and then click on the gear icon that's labeled "Options."

·
Registered
342 Posts
Now that people are in possession of their new M1 Macs I've seen several posts in the news and on social media about how their Mac mini or their MacBook Air is trouncing the 16" MacBook Pro. While I am thrilled that Apple was able to achieve this huge leap in computing performance I must say as someone who got a ~$3400 (CAD) 16" MacBook Pro [i9] just last year it does not feel great seeing a machine that costs less than half running circles around my beautiful beast!

Whenever you buy a new computer it is expected that progress will continue and your machine won't be leader of the pack for long. However something like this is just unprecedented. It actually has me considering trading in my 16" MBP and getting the M1 13" MBP. With the current trade-in value it'd (almost) be an even swap. I know my 16" MBP would serve me well for years but at the same time if I can inexpensively "upgrade" to a faster machine that has double the battery life it is tempting. The main thing I'd be losing is the extra screen real estate.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Before you lose the screen space...

Keep in mind that 3.5 weeks after you do the trade-in, Apple will release M2 computers (or A16 etc.) blasting past this month's M1/A14 processors.

Now that people are in possession of their new M1 Macs I've seen several posts in the news and on social media about how their Mac mini or their MacBook Air is trouncing the 16" MacBook Pro. While I am thrilled that Apple was able to achieve this huge leap in computing performance I must say as someone who got a ~$3400 (CAD) 16" MacBook Pro [i9] just last year it does not feel great seeing a machine that costs less than half running circles around my beautiful beast!

Whenever you buy a new computer it is expected that progress will continue and your machine won't be leader of the pack for long. However something like this is just unprecedented. It actually has me considering trading in my 16" MBP and getting the M1 13" MBP. With the current trade-in value it'd (almost) be an even swap. I know my 16" MBP would serve me well for years but at the same time if I can inexpensively "upgrade" to a faster machine that has double the battery life it is tempting. The main thing I'd be losing is the extra screen real estate.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Keep in mind that 3.5 weeks after you do the trade-in, Apple will release M2 computers (or A16 etc.) blasting past this month's M1/A14 processors.
LOL, with my luck maybe. :D

Pretty sure Apple's all done releasing stuff for 2020 though. Even still... when M2 (or whatever its called) does come out it's hard to imagine that the performance/power management vs M1 would be as dramatic a difference as the current gap between M1 and Intel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts