Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anybody has mentioned this...I haven't seen it yet. Thought people might want to know....

Mac OS
X, codenamed "Panther."

Here's the email I received:

"We wanted you to be among the first to know that Apple has
rescheduled WWDC 2003 in order to provide attendees with a preview
CD and in-depth session coverage of the next major release of Mac OS
X, codenamed "Panther." WWDC will take place June 23-27 at Moscone
West in San Francisco, California.

This will be Apple's biggest WWDC ever, featuring:

- Extensive coverage of "Panther"
- A first-ever Enterprise IT Track
- An expanded QuickTime Track that covers content creation and delivery
- More than 170 detailed sessions, labs, and feedback forums
- Expert guidance from Apple's technical architects and lead engineers
- A unique opportunity to network with your peers in the Mac community

And now -- WWDC is set against the dramatic backdrop of the "City by
the Bay," San Francisco. This is one WWDC you won't want to miss!

We posted more than 140 session descriptions on our web site today
and there are more to come. We invite you to visit our site today
for all the details. Session descriptions are available at http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/descriptions.html

For five days this June, WWDC 2003 will bring the most innovative
Mac developers together with Apple's best and brightest engineers in
one of the world's most beautiful cities.

Get empowered. Get inspired. Get registered."

Now if I just knew what any of that meant...lol...AND if it (a newer version of OSX ) will have any negative effect on my soon coming powerbook??

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
"AND if it (a newer version of OSX ) will have any negative effect on my soon coming powerbook??"

The newer version of OS X will just be 10.3 - nothing but an addition like 10.1 and 10.2 were. You can be assured that 10.3 will be perfect for a machine like yours - Apple isn't going to release last-minute machines just before 10.3 that will be the only machines that will be able to run it. ;)

Mac OS X v10.3 will be able to run on any machine, right down to factory-built G3's.

I

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
"AND if it (a newer version of OSX ) will have any negative effect on my soon coming powerbook??"

The newer version of OS X will just be 10.3 - nothing but an addition like 10.1 and 10.2 were. You can be assured that 10.3 will be perfect for a machine like yours - Apple isn't going to release last-minute machines just before 10.3 that will be the only machines that will be able to run it. ;)

Mac OS X v10.3 will be able to run on any machine, right down to factory-built G3's.

I
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*phew*! Sweeeett

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
But you will have to buy 10.3 if you want to use it. Might be easier to smuggle in a CD than an iMac though

MacOS X upgrades vary in price and Panther won't be released until the late Summer if previous releases are anything to go by. The y type (as in 10.x.y) upgrades are free as downloads. The x type upgrades usually pack significant changes to features. There is a Mac OS Up-to-date program that allows discounts for x upgrades for buyers who bought a new Mac in the previous recent history (3 months I think).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
It is conceivable that 10.3 will be a free update, after all 10.1 was. 10.3 may in fact address some looming huge bugs (a la Finder FTP) while we are waiting for the next huge version of OS X (10.4 I guess).

I doubt it though, I expect it to be a for-pay upgrade. That way if it isn't I can be pleasantly surprised.

--PB

·
Registered
78 Posts
Say the update to 10.3 came out, what would be the cost based on previous updates to OS/10?

Also, would it cost the same if you waited, and then later wanted to upgrade from say 10.2 to 10.4?

I am used to free updates in much earlier operating systems, so this policy is new to me.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by used to be jwoodget:
But you will have to buy 10.3 if you want to use it. Might be easier to smuggle in a CD than an iMac though
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

I think you needed a *rimshot* on that one.

James

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Apple always charges the same price for a full installation CD (C$195 or so). For upgrades (which require some version of OS X be pre-installed, not hte latest version), they usually charge about C$90. If you want a point/point upgrade on CD (which is also downloadable for free) its C$30. MacOS up-to-date charges a similar amount (i.e. what Apple claims is production/shipping costs).

The 10.x upgrades have come out about once a year. As Posterboy noted, 10.1 was a freebie but considering that 10.0.y was pretty slow on some machines, Apple might had had an uprising if they'd charged.

Methinks 10.3 will be a paid upgrade but no one knows yet. Here's hoping.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Apple will be showing off all the "new" feature during the WWDC and this will definitely be a paid upgrade. Apple cannot develop OSx for free you know. The poor lab rats have to be paid too you know.

Cheers,

RtC a.k.a the sucker to pay Apple for an upgrade

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I also believe the 10.3 will be a paid upgrade. Too Bad, don't like it either.

But now is the time for all those that did not want to pay for Jaguar and didn't. You 10.0.x and 10.1.x people can jump right to 10.3 and say na, na, na to me and others that jumped at Jaguar.

And then all the 10.0.x people will be asking me 'How do I do this and How do I do that', because they skipped an upgrade.

150 new features in Jaguar and even more features in 10.3 that's a big bell curve to overcome.

·
Registered
259 Posts
IF Apple DARES to charge $129US for 10.3, there will be a HUGE UPROAR. People will not be pushovers this year after shelling out so much last year.

Those little software coupons -- proof-of-purchase -- included with my FW800 Power mac better cover Panther or I'll be launchin' some wordage at Apple. :mad: :mad: Woooooo... I love these graemlins!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomac:
IF Apple DARES to charge $129US for 10.3, there will be a HUGE UPROAR. People will not be pushovers this year after shelling out so much last year.

Those little software coupons -- proof-of-purchase -- included with my FW800 Power mac better cover Panther or I'll be launchin' some wordage at Apple. :mad: :mad: Woooooo... I love these graemlins!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must agree. After waiting so long and paying so much for my upcoming 17" powerbook and other items, I would like to see a voucher come with my purchase. But I guess it depends when they end up releasing 10.3. I would like the voucher to be good for at least a few months.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I need some work done on the patio for the summer, the living room could use a fresh coat of paint and I want an air conditioner - which you're paying for - installed when the weather turns warm. Oh and by the way, you're replacing the barbecue too. When can I expect you to come over and DO IT FOR NOTHING?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
The problem is - all sorts of people are saying that 10.2 was a paid upgrade... There was no upgrade option, you paid full price all over again - the penalty for being one of Apple's beta testers. IMO, 10.2 was the first fulltime usable version of the OS.

Apple should show some loyalty towards the early adopters by giving them a discount and/or offering an upgrade option. I'm 100% behind OS X, but if they keep trying to ding the existing users, they're gonna sink. Microsloth even offered XP upgrade pricing to owners of Win 3.1!

If you insist on giving Apple your money, you can always get it at the educational pricing, which is $120 around here...

I'm all for rewarding Apple for their efforts (afterall, I'm a SW developer!), but they have to stop punishing the people that helped put OS X on the map...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi

Some of you could check this site: http://www.lowendmac.com/
and the top link:

Jaguar today, Panther tomorrow, and another slap in the face?, Dan Knight, Mac Musings, 03.24. Why buy Jaguar today when Panther will probably ship in a few months with no discount to reward my loyalty?

Money, money, money.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RobTheGob:
Microsloth even offered XP upgrade pricing to owners of Win 3.1!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, you have to have Win98 or later to use an XP Upgrade, at least if you are paying retail. MS doesn't even really support Win95 anymore, let alone 3.1

--PB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts