Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my wife and I get older we are having a hard time with the small, wireless keyboard that came with our 2019 27" iMac. Is there a larger (bigger keys, letters and numbers) keyboard available with all the functions that our keyboard now has? I have searched and found the Apple ones that have the number keys on the right hand side but by looking at pictures online I can't tell is they are actually larger and easier to see.

· Premium Member
43,585 Posts

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never seen larger keys, but I have seen larger, bolder print on the keys:

Thank You Macfury. I saw those and will have to do some more research on them. I really would like to see one in person. I have reached out to local Apple store, hopefully someone gets back to me with some info. Thanks again.

· Premium Member
16,573 Posts
Is there a larger (bigger keys, letters and numbers) keyboard available with all the functions that our keyboard now has?
Check out the various keyboards that Matias makes and hopefully they might have keyboard that would suit you,

They are excellent Mac compatible keyboards and made in Canada:

Also, you might do a Google search for large letters and numbers I have seen on the web that are super sticky stick-on Mac keyboard characters.
Maybe try:

EDIT:
Just a different thought for attacking your problem from a different angle, but have you considered using Apple's built in Dictation application in your System Preferences, and let it do your typing for you. And it is even free, or at least included with the operating system. You just need to enable it. I use a keyboard command, (command + D) to enable and disable it.

I need to rely on it on my older iMac using Mavericks OS 10.9 due to my serious rheumatoid-arthritis in my hands.
I also use a third-party commercial application that is actually better, but it only works with Google Chrome or Google apps.

I also need to see the letters on the keys in order to type correctly, but this way the applications do the work for me, and can spell better than I do. ;-)

Give it a try.

- Patrick
=======

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the various keyboards that Matias makes and hopefully they might have keyboard that would suit you,

They are excellent Mac compatible keyboards and made in Canada:

Also, you might do a Google search for large letters and numbers I have seen on the web that are super sticky stick-on Mac keyboard characters.
Maybe try:
[/URL]

[/URL]

- Patrick
=======
Thanks Patrick. I will look into your suggestions. Very good ideas.

· Premium Member
18,057 Posts
Roofjac, in the Spring my Apple Extended Keyboard suffered an unanticipated encounter with a beverage. Fortunately I had another Apple keyboard in-house (wireless) that my son wasn't using with his computer, having moved up to a "gaming" keyboard. So I figured: Why spend so much money replacing my keyboard when this one "will do".

Well let me tell ya. The Apple Extended Keyboard I was so productively used to is significantly different from this thing. Same chiclet keys, etc., but everything is just far enough off that my typing has suffered. Keystrokes go awry. Things I did so quickly by touch now needed my eyes on the keyboard. I've stuck with this thing, but my muscle memory is too strong: I'm going to have to make a new keyboard one of my self-xmas presents.

Keyboards are incredibly personal. We take the time to get used to them... the spacing, they layout, the keystroke travel, etc. My favourite keyboard of all time is an old ADB Apple Extended Keyboard, which I might just spend the time finding an ADB--> USB adapter to see if it can be put back into service. Soooo comfortable!

Take the time to find one that works for you. Sadly, that may mean a bunch of ordering online and returning product over and over... not very many "keyboard emporiums" around with a selection to test out.

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks CubaMark. I agree keyboards are a very personal thing and they are REALLY hard to find. Seems there is a shortage, at least at the bricks and mortar stores around here. I am not a huge fan of online ordering and returning so I guess we will just keep checking stores when we are out and about. Our local Apple store was supposed to get back to me but haven't heard anything yet. I might just try some inexpensive under the counter type lighting attached to computer desk and see if that helps the wife with seeing the keys.

· Premium Member
16,573 Posts
Well let me tell ya. The Apple Extended Keyboard I was so productively used to is significantly different from this thing. Same chiclet keys, etc., but everything is just far enough off that my typing has suffered. Keystrokes go awry.
My wife and I also use one of the the most pleasant to use old Apple wired Extended Keyboard which unfortunately the last time I looked is not made or sold anymore by Apple, wired or wireless, and the used ones still fetch a pretty good price, often more than the original price.

I never thought about attempting to use my old Apple ADB serial wired keyboard with its great key design and and action and I do have an Asante serial/usb adapter I could try using if I really needed to.

Unfortunately my typing skills are a far cry from using the abilities of the wired keyboard properly, and I wish Apple's Dictation would work better that it does. The engine that works with Google apps works way better but is restricted in its use to use Google apps only.

If Google can do it why can't Apple??? It shouldn't be a money problem...!!! :)

- Patrick
=======

· Registered
368 Posts
I can't imagine why anybody would use those extended keys! All varieties of USB-wired Apple keyboards on eBay. I think you're going to need to order & return until you find one that's satisfying. For me, touchscreen keyboards don't make for comfortable typing, either. Good luck.

· Registered
118 Posts
...Is there a larger (bigger keys, letters and numbers) keyboard available ...
Check out these two:

· Premium Member
16,573 Posts
Check out these two:
Don't forget to check out both the US and Canada sites and compare the prices including shipping and exchange Etc.
Sometimes there can be quite a drastic difference.

And thanks for the links Randy, I think I missed those the first time I checked.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 14 of 14 Posts