Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they really burning @ x48 (now x52)? Can CD players even read them? I might be looking to grab that new one. There's a sale for a new x48 Lacie burner for $259. ouch! I paid $399 for my x12 16 months ago. Whatever. Do the new ones come with Toast for X (v.5, right?)? And are they stable? Any issues yet? My x12 is a Teac mechanism and all is good...

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Yes they burn and read at the same speed. We have 40x at $222 and internal 48s for far less. I generally burn at 32 - because it takes time to prepare and finish a burn the actual gain in speed is marginal and Titanium burns in the background so who really cares. Also high end media is hard to find - 24s and 32's are easy.
Keep your Teac til it croaks ( usually 2 years - we find the lasers seem to get erratic with age not use ). Then if you have a good case we'll pop a new drive in for you. If you really want speed right away we can use the Teac for our Blues ( fussy on firmware) so email and we'll work out a price.
DVD burners are the big tech changers now with 4x DVD write just out.
I actually burned a music CD that played
perfectly at 40x. Cheap media too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:
Yes they burn and read at the same speed. We have 40x at $222 and internal 48s for far less. I generally burn at 32 - because it takes time to prepare and finish a burn the actual gain in speed is marginal and Titanium burns in the background so who really cares. Also high end media is hard to find - 24s and 32's are easy.
Keep your Teac til it croaks ( usually 2 years - we find the lasers seem to get erratic with age not use ). Then if you have a good case we'll pop a new drive in for you. If you really want speed right away we can use the Teac for our Blues ( fussy on firmware) so email and we'll work out a price.
DVD burners are the big tech changers now with 4x DVD write just out.
I actually burned a music CD that played
perfectly at 40x. Cheap media too.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... The case I have is still cool. I will tell you though, my 12 is noisy as hell. I mean, I'm not sure how I managed with a PC way back when. That fan is noisier than a NY Ranger one. I like the new sleek cases they have though.

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts