Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i cancelled an order with apple canada, i was going to purchase a new ipod (15gig). i presently own a 5gig and wanted to upgrade. i changed my mind 'cause i figure it isn't worth upgrading until something really cool comes out...colour! if nintendo can make one for a game sysytem under $150 (backlit) then why can't apple. am i really far off reality?

·
Registered
645 Posts
You make a good point....

Right now nobody knows really what Apple has in mind for the iPod. For all we know the iPod could be a test unit for something much more in the future.

One thing to look at right now is that we don't need a colour screen for what the iPod does. If Apple put one in you would see the battery life decrease to almost half. The price of the iPod would go up past $1000 CDN for the high end. Apple would have to come out with something worth while in my opinion in order to move to a colour screen.

What I want Apple to do is allow Digital Video Camera Firewire download to the iPod while out on location shooting video. This would be very helpful and extremely portable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
In my oppinion, the third generation iPods are worth the upgrade. By the time a colour one (if at all) comes out, it will be another year at least. The new iPods are way more ergonomic and definitely worth the upgrade.

The dock is awesome and the On-The-Go playlist is very convenient and addictive.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Keep in mind that Nintendo makes a crap tonne of money from game licenses as well, so once you buy a GameBoy you basically become a small but steady revenue stream for the company. So even if Nintendo was not making money on the GameBoy itself, the loss would be recouped probably by the first 2-4 games you bought.

Buying an iPod is a one shot deal, and therefore they have to recoup the entire cost of making and distributing the unit in the sale price of the unit.

What do you need a colour screen on a music player for anyway though? I mean, brickout is better in colour, but all in all a colour screen is only going to decrease battery life.

--PB

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think once you buy an ipod you become steady revenue stream for the apple music store (well americans anyways). a good colour lcd screen on an ipod could present a crap load of possibilities for the wonderous machine. i just don't think it's worth the upgrade yet. my old one still plays music and is still quite small and light compared to other music devices. i do however hope that the ipod does not go the same route as cellular phones, so small that you lose the thing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Colour LCDs chomp on the bit, battery wise.
I think Apple is likely waiting for OLED to mature before making the jump.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree that getting pictures from a digital camera in iPod would be way cool. I mentioned it to my Apple engineer friend.

We keep forgetting the KISS rule. While way cool features bring out the ubergeek drool, one has to remember what the basic function of the device is. To play music. I have never had a walkman with a colour screen!

Driving the price point up is not going to help sales. And I can tell you, that I've seen consumers go from PC to Mac, because they saw an iPod or iBook that a friend had and a "cool" revelation takes place.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I, personally, will not upgrade my iPod until Apple releases one that does my taxes and massages my feet when I get home from work. Until then, I will loudly proclaim that Apple is filled with losers that refuse to cater to my every whim.

·
Registered
57 Posts
perhaps soon ipods will not only have colour screens but take 4 Megapixel photographs and organize your life. If cell phones are doing it, why not portable music devices too? Heck maybe the ipod will be a cell phone too. Why not? :D

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
But Posterboy, I think donut was partly right. I think the iPod generates more downloads of music from the Music Store. People want to fill up their ipods with their favourite songs. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Donut:

You become a steady revenue stream with the iTunes Music Store by downloading iTunes for free and using the iTunes Music Store. Using the iTunes Music Store is not integral to the functionality of the iPod, nor do you have to have purchased an iPod to access it.

The GameBoy however is useless without a game to put in it.

--PB

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
iPods now have iCal/Calendar, Note-taking and Contacts in them. They are very close to PDA status in this respect.

I keep my contact on my iPod. It's invaluable to me this way.

breakout is a nice addition (especially since it is no longer hidden) to pass the time on a bus or somesuch...

Oh, and I also use it as a Music Player. Please, try not to be shocked by this revelation

:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
My money is on full PDA functionality, probably with stylus, as well as an enhanced version of the current backup HD.

Also a battery that could be changed would be a good idea (like 100% of the world's telephones and 90% of the world's rechargeable walkmen).

Finally, if Apple is going to keep positioning itself as 'have a Mac at home and crap in the office', then it needs to allow sync for an iPod between the two platforms...

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
In my oppinion, the third generation iPods are worth the upgrade. By the time a colour one (if at all) comes out, it will be another year at least. The new iPods are way more ergonomic and definitely worth the upgrade.

The dock is awesome and the On-The-Go playlist is very convenient and addictive.
I consider the new iPods to be considerably less ergonomic than the previous 2 generations. The button layout is awkward and not as nearly as intuitive on the newer models.

The reduced battery life is unfortunate as well. I also prefer the use of a standard firewire connector versus the proprietory dock connector.

I was eagerly waiting for the new models, but was happier picking up a second generation 20GB once the new ones were announced.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Kosh said:
I think donut was partly right. I think the iPod generates more downloads of music from the Music Store. People want to fill up their ipods with their favourite songs

The iPod may fuel the iTMS to some degree, but the analogy is still flawed because you don't need to buy music from the iTMS to put on your iPod, and thus the iPod needs to be treated as a one time deal by Apple.

The GameBoy needs games to be used, and can therefore be sold for less money because unless you shop exclusively at flea markets and on eBay, Nintendo is going to be seeing more of your money.

--PB

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Hey RobtheGob

I agree that a 2nd hand 20gig is a good idea, but there are two issues:

1) Most of the second hand market is pretty 'firm' price-wise, on the basis that these babies are sold loaded to the gills with music (I know, not kosher, but that's how they can ask for high prices).

2) How do you deal with the battery life issue? These batteries have a factory life of, what, two years?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I agree that a 2nd hand 20gig is a good idea, but there are two issues:

1) Most of the second hand market is pretty 'firm' price-wise, on the basis that these babies are sold loaded to the gills with music (I know, not kosher, but that's how they can ask for high prices).

2) How do you deal with the battery life issue? These batteries have a factory life of, what, two years?
1) It's still not too hard to get the 20GB models new, especially if you don't mind getting them from the US. I got mine from Dell.com. Macwarehouse had them late last week for $299 US. Compusmart had them a few weeks ago as well.

2) I seem to remember the batteries having a 'typical' life of 4 years according to Apple. At that point, there are a few places selling replacements for around $50 US.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
You can always wait for new technology. It'll be better next month, year, decade. Meanwhile, your life is shortened by a day, week, year. There's only one thing that I am prepared to wait for - my expiration date.

The 15 gb iPod is a delight in technology. It makes my life a little better.

As for buying a second hand iPod loaded with music, not only is that illegal, but its also difficult to manage if you want to sync with your Mac. I bet a lot of people who buy such machines don't set their prefs correctly and watch as 20 gb of mp3s are deleted in seconds when they hook up to their computer.

I think Apple will release a video/photoPod at some point, but it'll be a different device. The iPod does what its intended for without confusing people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts