Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My old iPod Mini died and now I am in the market for a new iPod. I am wondering, will there be a new iPod update/release soon in a couple of months?

What do you guys think? Should I just buy a new nano now or wait a month or two?

Regards,

Fazer

·
Registered
135 Posts
There has not been any mention of new iPods coming out. :( Bummer, i know, I'm looking into getting a new one myself.

It has been 299 days since the last iPod Video and iPod Nano update, so they are overdue. If you don't need an mp3 player right this second, I would hold off buying an iPod right this second.

Also, I really like to check the macrumors.com buyers guide. It gives the average number of days between past updates and junk like that. Also suggestions if you should buy if it was recently updated, of to wait if it's overdue for an update.

Buyer's Guide

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think there would probably be stronger rumours if they were coming out with another iPod product in the next 2 months, but who knows.

You could always go for a 2GB nano, I've been thinking of getting one myself even though I'm actually still pretty happy with my 3G iPod, crap battery life and all! I still love the design 3 years on, but it's definitely not as convenient for jogging and I have serious nano-envy. I just checked future shop's website, they have it on sale for $159, $10 off the apple store price.

I'd avoid getting a video right now though... it doesn't seem too unrealistic for Apple to come out with something like a fullscreen video iPod in time for Christmas shopping.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
There will be no new iPods before September 15. Why? Apple is running their Back-To-School promotion right now for university and college students. Apple isn't going to change their iPod lineup in the middle of a promotion.

If there are any changes, it will most likely be just before the Christmas buying season. In the US, that starts the day after American Thanksgiving.

American Thanksgiving is November 22.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guy, as a student, I'm pretty sure they run that promo year round or something similar. And they've definitely been running it in past years right before introducing a new iPod. My friend got a "Back To School" 4th Gen, I think, right before the iPod Video was introduced (much to his chagrin.)

I think you're right about the Christmas season, though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It has been 299 days since the last iPod Video and iPod Nano update, so they are overdue. If you don't need an mp3 player right this second, I would hold off buying an iPod right this second.
Actually, while the Nano update last fall was significant, I personally don't count last fall's 5G update as an actual upgrade. It was more of a product refresh to buy them some time, since the enhanced "5.5G" didn't really change that much from a hardware point of view.

Therefore, the 5G has technically been on the market for almost two years now. It's well overdue for an update.

Jade said:
Guy, as a student, I'm pretty sure they run that promo year round or something similar.
No, it's not year-round, but they do tend to run it every year. It's normally from around June 5 - September 15th, or thereabouts.

It's definitely a good way to clear out some old stock and make way for the new iPod lineup, however, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a new iPod announced right at the end of that time period.

GuyToronto said:
If there are any changes, it will most likely be just before the Christmas buying season. In the US, that starts the day after American Thanksgiving.
Companies generally announce their Christmas season products well before American thanksgiving. The original 5G iPod was announced by mid-October, and even though Microsoft didn't actualy start selling the Zune until mid-November, they announced it in September to make sure the hype was built up well before its release.

Products released any time after mid-November generally get lost in the shuffle, and people don't notice them in time for Christmas either because they've already made their lists for major Christmas purchases (and therefore aren't even looking), or there's just too much other "noise" out there as Christmas approaches.

Remember that it's Apple's intention to ensure that most people know about a new product, not just those of us who obsessively follow the Apple product lineup :)

Personally, if they're going to release anything new for Christmas, it's going to be mid-October, at the latest.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There has not been any mention of new iPods coming out. :( Bummer, i know, I'm looking into getting a new one myself.

Also, I really like to check the macrumors.com buyers guide. It gives the average number of days between past updates and junk like that. Also suggestions if you should buy if it was recently updated, of to wait if it's overdue for an update.

Buyer's Guide
Yeah you are right. I checked the Buyer's Guide and that is why I asked since I haven't heard any new rumors about iPods.

I agree with guytoronto. iPod updates should be around 3 months ahead.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
My $0.02. I have a 2-gig Nano, bought with my iBook a year-and-a-half ago. Frankly, I don't understand the target market - I'm certainly not it. I had an original (white) shuffle, which was great (until it died, resurrected with Apple's reset utility almost a year later). I can see the utility of the hard drive-based iPods, which can play video. But the Nano? It's like a handicapped HD-iPod.

I personally wouldn't buy a Nano again. The shuffle is perfect for the gym - holds more than enough music for a number of workouts. If I wanted an iPod with a screen, I'd go with the video-capable models.

My Nano spends most of its time in a desk drawer - how sad is that?

·
Registered
135 Posts
My $0.02. I have a 2-gig Nano, bought with my iBook a year-and-a-half ago. Frankly, I don't understand the target market - I'm certainly not it. I had an original (white) shuffle, which was great (until it died, resurrected with Apple's reset utility almost a year later). I can see the utility of the hard drive-based iPods, which can play video. But the Nano? It's like a handicapped HD-iPod.

I personally wouldn't buy a Nano again. The shuffle is perfect for the gym - holds more than enough music for a number of workouts. If I wanted an iPod with a screen, I'd go with the video-capable models.

My Nano spends most of its time in a desk drawer - how sad is that?
Hehe, I would not buy a nano again either.

But the nano was the next gen mini, the entry level iPod with a display. For those people who would much rather see what song is playing..and select a specific song instead of having to remember and/or guess how many times to click next in order to get to the song you want. Also for those people who want more than just 1GB of storage (besides the poor saps who got the 1st gen 1GB ipod nano...:-( ) but couldn't afford to splurge on the ~$300 model.

There is your target market.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
i think the nano is the perfect balance between the shuffle and the ipod videos

it's small, light and thin for working out, but has a screen so you can switch albums or playlists

·
Registered
135 Posts
Same! That's how I got my Mini. Although the new Nanos seem awesome.
The new nanos don't really appeal to me. I never really liked the mini, and now that the nanos look just like stretched minis with a color display...well hence my comment earlier that I will never get another nano. I was glad I got the 1st gen nano...the good ol' black front, silver back. :clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts