Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bc377ec Frozen iPods

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bc2504d Clicks between tracks

Let's hope there's a iPod Updater 2.1 coming out soon which firmware-flashes our new iPods. Apple is aware of these problems.

I've had both on my 15GB iPod. The click when using the 'Next' button to advance to the next track, and the 'It's dead jim' where the iPod, with a full battery charge, won't wake up, and in a fit of panic and many reset attempts, it FINALLY resets and wakes-up.

Also, there are concerns that the buttons are over-sensitive. I can attest to this; my Next button, my finger can be a full centimetre above it, and it'll cause 'Next' to be selected repeatedly. Apparently a lot of people are experiencing over-sensitivity issues of the buttons, except for Play/Pause which appears to be undersensitive - on mine and others.

Hmm.. Not happy.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Hmmm..... not had a single freeze up on mine and I've done a lot with it (including syncing with iSync). I've occasionally had to touch the buttons a second time and there's an annoying processing delay (2-3 secs) when accessing the calendar but otherwise my 15 gigger has been perfect. I can detect the between track click but only when I listen for it. I would expect Apple will release a software update to fix that as well as the button sensitivity and freezing. Makes me wonder whether there are a few bad apples though. It's always difficult to discern the extent of issues as its only people who have the problem that post about it.

Maybe Oprah got a bad lot ;)

Hope you get the problems resolved soon Neil. I can imagine the tone of the EnvyNews review if not!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put your new iPod to sleep by holding down Play/Pause button, then put the Hold on. Leave it sit overnight. Now, try to turn it on...
Unless, of course, you don't like a permanently sleeping iPod. Took me close to 2 hrs to wake it last time. (and yes, with Hold off).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Neil:

That's what I do every evening. (Yes, the lock is on - bad habit from the 5GB days) And it always turns on... and it's right where I left it in the song.

Why don't you just send it off to Apple?

John

·
Registered
237 Posts
No problems here with the new 30GB iPod. Syncing with iSync and playing it every day for most of the day.

It took a little while (day - day and a half) to get used to the touch buttons and wheel and select button, but I turned on 'click' and haven't had any problems.

As for frozen, when I didn't have 'click' turned on, sometime I had no feedback on whether or not the selection was - for lack of a better word - noticed. Now that click is on, things are much better.

Clicks - what clicks? I re-imported all my music and things are just fine.

From where I'm sitting, the v2 iPod is rock solid.

BTW: It's the anniversary of D-Day (well, it was when I started this post). To those that took part, and those that made the supreme sacrifice, "Thank You from the bottom of my heart! Rest in Peace".

John

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because of the many people with my probs who have sent theirs back to apple for replacement (with new ones), all had the same probs again. I think we'll see a 2.1 iPod updater soon. Most problems seem to strike 15GB iPod owners, not 30GB owners. Go figure. Also, it's not a few people or a 100 posts on Apple's iPod discussion forums, but 1000+ posts from 100s of owners. Apple is aware of the Click/Pop sound when 'Next'ing tracks and the reverse-channel flip that happens if you forward/back/forward/back on the buttons, and the 'won't wake from sleep' issues, and the over/under-sensitive buttons. I have about 80-days remaining on my 90-phone-in support with Applecare, as i'll wait for a firmware patch.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, i've heard that an iPod Updater 2.0.1 is out any day now, but only has USB 2.0 support for Windows users. Grrr. Maybe it'll be delayed to include a firmware patch for some of the issues many of us are experiencing...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts