Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple's newest phones will embrace iPhone X design with new colours, bigger screens

Apple Inc. is not only doubling down on the iPhone X, it’s tripling down.

The world’s most valuable company plans to launch three new phones soon that keep the edge-to-edge screen design of last year’s flagship, according to people familiar with the matter. The devices will boast a wider range of prices, features and sizes to increase their appeal, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing unannounced products.

However, none of the three iPhones will be wholly new designs like the iPhone X was last year or the iPhone 6 in 2014, with some inside Apple labeling the launch as an “S year,” a designation the company has given to new handsets that retain the previous design but add new internal features. The company is planning more significant changes for next year, they added.
Details here:

https://business.financialpost.com/...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1535374250

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Planning to upgrade from my iPhone 7 plus this go around. Would be going with a new X (whatever they call it) unless they continue doing what they are doing now with hard drive size. 128 gig is perfect for me but for some reason (money grab) they opted with the iPhone X to only have a 64 gig and a 256 gig. 64 is to small for me and 256 is way over kill. Hopefully 128 gig becomes the new small size but not holding my breath. If they do not release a 128 version I will just hold onto my money and keep using the 7 till Apple changes or someone else comes out with a phone I can see switching for.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
So, now that they're all out, before ordering on September 14, I do need to know one thing. Is the iPhone Xs Max going to have a better camera in any way than the Xs? If not, I'm going for the Xs. Other than size and display, they're the exact same, correct?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
So, now that they're all out, before ordering on September 14, I do need to know one thing. Is the iPhone Xs Max going to have a better camera in any way than the Xs? If not, I'm going for the Xs. Other than size and display, they're the exact same, correct?
Not sure, have not gone through it all yet. Really hate the storage size options. They got it right with the XR but lost that with the X series.

In my opinion should have been 128, 256, and 512. The 64 gig is just too small and really for phones that take that quality of photo and video they need more space.

Did just read this breakdown taken from CNET:

iPhone XS and XS Max quick specs
- Two sizes: 5.8-inch (458 ppi) and 6.5-inch (458 ppi), with OLED HDR screen (Super Retina displays)

- Colors: Gold, silver and space gray finishes

- Dual camera: 12-megapixel wide and telephoto lenses

- Front-facing cameras: 7-megapixel camera will bring depth to portrait mode photos

- A12 Bionic chip: 7-nanometer processor promises to launch apps 30 percent faster than 2017 iPhones

- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 512GB

- IP68 water-resistance rating (2 meters depth; up to 30 minutes in water)

- Battery life: iPhone XS should last 30 minutes longer than iPhone X; iPhone XS Max claims 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone X

- Dual-SIM card support through eSIM technology

- Face ID promises to work faster at unlocking the phones

- 3D Touch pressure-sensitivite screen

- Stereo sound with a wider stereo field than 2017 iPhones

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Not sure, have not gone through it all yet. Really hate the storage size options. They got it right with the XR but lost that with the X series.

In my opinion should have been 128, 256, and 512. The 64 gig is just too small and really for phones that take that quality of photo and video they need more space.
I totally agree. Figures Apple would do that just to be different. Forces one into 512. Why no SD storage options like so many other phones?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I totally agree. Figures Apple would do that just to be different. Forces one into 512. Why no SD storage options like so many other phones?
For me 128 is the perfect size. 64 is to small and 256 is way to much. Apple has certainly lost a few dollars from me, I do not upgrade near as often as I used to because of things like this.

I will probably go with an XS 256 but will keep it longer as I have done with my current phone. Not completely sold on it, will watch the event tonight after work to get a better feel for what they are bringing out. Will fast forward all of Apple patting themselves on the back because they are so green and how amazing they are.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
I wonder at what point battery cases become available for the new Xs. I currently use iBlason for my iPhone 6. Been using it for 4 years. Worked flawlessly. iBlason website advertises the case for the X/Xs. Maybe the Xs is the exact same dimensions as the X? I’ll have to check out Mophie.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
According to this, other than the weight, the dimensions are exactly the same as the iPhone X. So, if that’s the case, is it safe to assume that any battery case for the iPhone X will fit the iPhone X’s? Hopefully the camera lenses wouldn’t be positioned any differently. That would impact the outcome.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Checked out the size of the iPhone 8 Plus today. If the Xs Max is anything like the size, I would find it too big since I also put my iPhone in a battery case. Too big for the slip in the pocket.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Planning to upgrade from my iPhone 7 plus this go around. Would be going with a new X (whatever they call it) unless they continue doing what they are doing now with hard drive size. 128 gig is perfect for me but for some reason (money grab) they opted with the iPhone X to only have a 64 gig and a 256 gig. 64 is to small for me and 256 is way over kill. Hopefully 128 gig becomes the new small size but not holding my breath. If they do not release a 128 version I will just hold onto my money and keep using the 7 till Apple changes or someone else comes out with a phone I can see switching for.
Although 64 does come off as small in 2018, do recall that they made the move -or- provided the option of saving your biggest files in HEIF format, which took up much less space. That's for one.

For two, I would imagine that  is still in the business of forcing your hand - meaning they likely want you to pass on the 64 version and go at least of the next one up.

Lastly, for those who want to sync w/ the cloud, and keep noting locally - they might go for 64 as well. IDK. 🤷🏾*♂

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Wow! Pricey. Just pre-ordered my iPhone XS 256GB Space Grey. Came to over $1800. Never thought I'd pay that much for an iPhone. I'm sure I'll be happy.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wow! Pricey. Just pre-ordered my iPhone XS 256GB Space Grey. Came to over $1800. Never thought I'd pay that much for an iPhone. I'm sure I'll be happy.
Ha. During the talk, before the pricing was announced, I predicted this would achieve a new pinnacle in smartphone pricing and would hit $2k.

And lo and behold, I was correct: $1999 for a fully loaded iPhone Xs Max, pre tax and pre  Care. CRAZY.

But they're actually more powerful than most laptops... so this is where we are now.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
The status of my order has changed to “Preparing to ship” but the delivery date is still October 3. Sooner would be nice.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Well that was encouraging on my new purchase! Definitely not worth going from the original X of last year, but worth the step up from my 6 bought 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
15,667 Posts
Oh yeah!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Good grief!!! I started to skip through that video and a several similar ones that just followed, and kept coming until I gave up, and only one barely mentioned something positive about some of the new iPhone models andd then I gave up.

Me thinks Apple bombed a bit this year BIG TIME, and then has the audacity to charge elevated prices makes me really wonder.

Oh well, I guess some are happy for their own reasons…

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,667 Posts
And lo and behold, I was correct: $1999 for a fully loaded iPhone Xs Max, pre tax and pre  Care. CRAZY.

But they're actually more powerful than most laptops... so this is where we are now.

And then there are some who "think" (rationalize may be a better word) like this:
In 2018, it makes way more sense to buy a $1,000 Apple iPhone than a $1,000 Apple laptop
https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-vs-apple-macbook-2018-9

Oh yeah… don't forget to add another $1,000.00+ for glasses and eye exams to compensate for all the eye strain.

But they're actually more powerful than most laptops...
Such generalized statements are not really accurate but sure do get blogged around…

- Patrick
======

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Apple's $1,000 iPhones are turning it into a luxury brand — and it could lose a whole generation of customers

Apple, it seems, has now fully bought into the notion that it's an upscale brand.

Its move to revamp its device lineup by doubling down on thousand-dollar phones, and simultaneously dropping its least expensive model, has made clear that it's no longer overly concerned with appealing to customers of more limited means. Instead, the iPhone maker seems to believe that the way forward is to be the Louis Vuitton of consumer electronics.

That focus on the high end has already started to pay off for the company in the form of near-term profits, even as it recently surged past a trillion-dollar market cap. But it could prove to be a bad bet in the longer term, particularly if it means fewer consumers turn to Apple to purchase their first phone or other device.
More at the link.

https://www.businessinsider.com/app...stream-consumers-2018-9?utm_source=reddit.com

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Apple's $1,000 iPhones are turning it into a luxury brand — and it could lose a whole generation of customers

More at the link.

https://www.businessinsider.com/app...stream-consumers-2018-9?utm_source=reddit.com
I definitely think they are or will start losing customers along the road with the prices that seem to continue to sky rocket. I for one have stopped buying phones as regularly, partly because I do not see huge value in upgrading as the features they are touting do not appeal to me and with higher prices I am less inclined to upgrade for the few small updates. I am probably going to stay away from the higher end phones, will most likely settle with an XR. In the past I have always bought (outright) the top end phones. I am amazed that there is a huge demand for the Max 512. Well over $2000 with taxes is insane for a smart phone and yet people are buying it.

Apple is in the business of making money and they are doing that incredibly well, just leaves a sour taste in my mouth when they talk about how good a company they are as they pat themselves on the back over and over when really they are only selling to those with money. You can see that in their laptop line as well, they are so absurdly priced unless you can settle for a laptop with 128 gigs of space, and even then I think they are priced high. The conflict comes when the product is still good, I like Apple products, use their computers professionally and prefer them for personal use as well. This is slowly eroding though on the current path they are on. They do less and less that makes my life any better and improves the way I use any of their devices that now it has me wondering (only a little at the moment) how other eco systems would handle what I want to do. I keep hoping that they will have a big flop with one of these big premium devices that will give them a kick in the pants, but that seems to be wishful thinking as everything they put out just sells sells sells.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Why they would put a smaller mAh battery than last year’s X is beyond me. Sure, they say the XS will get a half hour more on a charge, but that could’ve been an hour more if they kept the same battery there. Nice move, Apple. And you even went and upped the XS Max battery.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts