Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres the deal..i bought an iphone about 4 days ago, n like the idiot i am..i started downloadin as many applications as i could cuz i was insainly happy about getting it =P

i turned of data roaming charges, didnt set up internet tethering and i didnt enable 3G.. i was connected to the internet with wi-fi...am i still going to be charged for the 50 applications i downloaded and used??? i dont have a data plan, just a basic plan: unlimited texting/calling. oh im with FIDO not ATT
under "cellular network data" it says i sent 44.0 KB and recived 389 KB...is this reffering to my text messages? or the applications i downloaded??

another question...i know hitting the home key closes the application, however im not sure if it really exists it :S...does this mean if i leave my house(wifi area) and go out(not using wifi) that im going to be charged?

someone please help...id really appreciate it, i have to pay for my bill and i really cant afford anything above $40, seein as i spent all my money buying the phone
id really appreciate feedback =)

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Call fido, ask them to check data for you. It's possible most of your usage may be wifi. They may do a one-time waiver of the charges.

Then ask them to block data on the account. You'll still be able to use wifi etc.

Didn't they make you sign something (or, if by phone, explain this verbally) saying you understood this?

·
Registered
260 Posts
When the phone is in sleep mode it goes off WiFi and back to the cellular data network (when you press the home button to wake it check the network icon, mine always says 3G for a few seconds). If you didn't have a data block it is quite possible some data could have gotten through such as email etc... or depending on the apps you downloaded it could be them as Flipstar said. Call Fido and see what they can do and definitely get the data blocked.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I feel for you but honestly c'mon, what were you thinking? And what kind of help do you think we can offer here? You used the service you pay for the service.

I got my 3G way back, I called Rogers and had them block my data right away. Take responsibility for your own actions.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but you can't blame anyone for buying a fast car and getting a speeding ticket!

Threads like this burn me up. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel for you but honestly c'mon, what were you thinking? And what kind of help do you think we can offer here? You used the service you pay for the service.

I got my 3G way back, I called Rogers and had them block my data right away. Take responsibility for your own actions.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but you can't blame anyone for buying a fast car and getting a speeding ticket!

Threads like this burn me up. :(

agreed..but if you read what i wrote you would know i wasnt blaming anyone:S

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
On a side note. Just get Data. It's really "just another phone" but without MMS if you don't get a data plan. The very few dollars for even 500MB is WAY worth it. Using the phone's features when you need it is so priceless.
My sister in law is getting rid of her iphone because she hardly "used" it. She thought it'd be awesome, get data blocked and use wifi at home... but she just used her laptop or desktop instead. All she could use it for was texting.

She was riding in the car with us recently, we had just got lost. Google Maps, then back on track, a great unknown song on the radio, SHAZAM, pee breaks? Timmy Me (during the pee break we watched movie trailers to decide what to go see, and bought our tickets), now she regrets "downgrading" her phone.

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
For a few months I used an iPhone with Rogers, with no data plan. I did the same thing, used wifi at home or work, and was very careful not to use apps that would use data, unless I had the wifi icon. (So no mail, no safari, no weather, etc etc).

Now and then however, I did use data, and at one point I got a text from Rogers, alerting me that I had run up a $10 data bill, and with a 'friendly suggestion' to subscribe to a data plan. I don't know about Fido of course, but I did think it was kind of nice of Rogers to send that warning, and even think it was ok of them to include an 'advert' about getting a plan.

I agree with the suggestion to just get a data plan - the iPhone is still cool without it, I certainly didn't feel like it was a waste of money or underutilized for the 3 months I didn't have data - but it's so much cooler with data, and not having to worry about checking my mail out on the road or pulling up the weather report or doing a bit of surfing or whatever.

Cheers!

-Stephanie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i plan on gettin the data plan next month...
i just cant afford it this month seeing as i had to pay telus $200 for leaving them before my term was over...and i spent another $200 on gettin the iphone...
i dont want to get a data plan and end up bein broke for the next 2 weeks waiting on my pay cheque...

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
i plan on gettin the data plan next month...
i just cant afford it this month seeing as i had to pay telus $200 for leaving them before my term was over...and i spent another $200 on gettin the iphone...
i dont want to get a data plan and end up bein broke for the next 2 weeks waiting on my pay cheque...
I have had my phone close to a year, no data plan, and I don't need it. so if you don't want to spend any more money DON'T GET IT.
The price of a data plan will cost you a lot at the end of the year, and for what? so you can facebook or surf, honestly these things were not around years back and we survived.
Do you REALLY need them now?

That's my opinion.:D

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
I have had my phone close to a year, no data plan, and I don't need it. so if you don't want to spend any more money DON'T GET IT.
The price of a data plan will cost you a lot at the end of the year, and for what? so you can facebook or surf, honestly these things were not around years back and we survived.
Do you REALLY need them now?

That's my opinion.:D
No of course you don't NEED it, like cell phones in general, but damn is it ever handy, it's saved me a lot of money, the Cheap Gas App, it has educated me beyond belief by showing me things near me that I never would have travelled otherwise.
Not to mention entertaining, I have taken up a new obsession due to data, Geocaching. Look it up, if you are a geek and love nature...

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
My 4 hour a day commute would be hell without data but whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Maybe sell the phone...

My 4 hour a day commute would be hell without data but whatever floats your boat.
and move closer to your job!
Better for you, better for all of UZ!

Floats my boat? Water.
Much nicer than commuting!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
WOW your battery lasts for 2/4 hours while you're using the phone? NICE!

I just find that I don't need data, and I bet a lot of people out there wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

so for this person to be complaining that they might have a huge bill, just be pro active and disable data or get a data plan.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts