Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh.

I got a new iPad Pro 10.5 today. The last backup from my former iPad was 1:15 this morning, so I tried to restore from backup, but no luck.

Is there any way to try an earlier backup?

I was too quick to erase the old iPad and I’ve lost contacts, etc.

Aren’t contacts supposed to appear based on your Apple ID?

Please help

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Does this page from Apple help at all?

I'm not intending to hijack your thread - I think this is a complimentary question, and you'll be affected with your new iPad:

Now that iTunes is not longer managing apps on your iOS devices... where do the backups happen? Restores? Does iTunes still handle those backup features? Or is it now all in the Cloud? Who has that much iCloud storage space?

I've checked Apple's iTunes page and iOS 11 page, but no info....

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Thanks, SINC. I had assumed that since Apple stripped iOS app management out of iTunes, that there would no longer be any relationship between iTunes and iOS devices. Your link shows that iTunes is still the interface to be used for iOS device backups.

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
I got a new iPad Pro 10.5 today. The last backup from my former iPad was 1:15 this morning, so I tried to restore from backup, but no luck.
I didn't notice or see any details of the problem, but I'd suggest trying iMazing.app and see if it doesn't work better.

BTW: I will work with older iTunes backups.
https://imazing.com

Waaaay better that Apple's attempts IMHO.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
Thanks Patrick but I don’t have a computer. I gave up trying to recover old data. I had way too much stuff on the old one anyway.

OK, but now I'm confused considering what you said in your original post, i.e.:
The last backup from my former iPad was 1:15 this morning, so I tried to restore from backup, but no luck.
Anyway, forget that, but maybe use the services of a good local Mac tech or Apple Store if you do want or need any of the "backup" data.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
807 Posts
You have a backup from 1:15 in the morning... did you try restoring the old ipad again from that backup just to get to a state where everthing was before you started?

I had a problem with restoring my iPhone 7 from an iPhone 6 backup in the summer.. The 6 backups were using the encrypt option, and for whatever reason it didn't seem to want to restore (weird error # that made no sense). On a whim I ended up removing the encryption option, did another backup and then it restored properly to my 7.

BReligion

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have a backup from 1:15 in the morning... did you try restoring the old ipad again from that backup just to get to a state where everthing was before you started?

I had a problem with restoring my iPhone 7 from an iPhone 6 backup in the summer.. The 6 backups were using the encrypt option, and for whatever reason it didn't seem to want to restore (weird error # that made no sense). On a whim I ended up removing the encryption option, did another backup and then it restored properly to my 7.

BReligion
I will try that. I had hundreds of my drawings on the old iPad and I would like to get them back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts