Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

New Interface

3K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  FeXL 
#1 ·
Not a big fan of the look, but I have seen worse. Biggest problem: They got rid of the little EhMac guy. He needs to be in that header.

Reactions: Dr.G.
#5 ·
I wonder why even bother making updates as no one seems to be moderating anything here or actively promoting the Mac community as it once was.

#6 · (Edited)
I hope they will get rid of that traveling orange bar at the top of the banner, it and the flashing orange bars on the right edge of the banner are distracting.

Will have to see if CMs un trimmed memes continue to spread the page width over into Saskatchewan.

I see they have removed those portions of my sig that are critical of the official Covid narrative, so it looks like Biden style censorship may be coming to ehMac. I'm sure this will have the Kool-aid gang singing with glee. Oops forgot the TrueDope has forbidden them from singing

#10 · (Edited)
I hope they will get rid of that traveling orange bar at the top of the banner, it and the flashing orange bars on the right edge of the banner are distracting. /QUOTE]

Hmmm... I don't see either.

FWIW: I'm using Mavericks 10.9.5 and Google Chrome v. 67.0.33.

So far I am appreciating some of the new features that have been added, the old Vbulletin software version was getting a little bit stuck in some of its rutts.

- Patrick
=======

EDIT: i don't seem to be able to edit my post and remove the "
" insertion something is adding behind my signature name.
Even if I try editing it, deleting it and saving it. Something puts it back again.

Let's see what that does with this edition...

#7 ·
The one thing I do like is you are notified if someone responds to a post. This is really helpful on forums to keep up with discussions.

#8 ·
Maybe I did not notice this but it seems with the change over to this new forum it has opened up the moderator only sections. Very dated stuff but you can see some posts from back in the glory days.

#13 ·
Sorry, but I don't see anything unusual in my account settings Rod.

Actually, I am enjoying quite a few of the new features, but I have to learn how they are all working and maybe adapt and make a few changes to my own old methods.

The line length line wrapping is way better than it was in the old a Vbulletin from what I have seen in most posts which makes reading them much easier to read.

The "Reply" option is also very nice and better than the old VBulletin method and the way it worked.

- Patrick
=======

#16 ·
Maybe it's just me, but the new ehMac site definitely seems to be much faster than it was.

Just and just to mention again, I am finding it much nicer and easier to use and that's especially true with some of the new features.

And finally, at long last, I now get pages here with a more normal text line length wrapping properly which makes posts much easier to read. I hope they all work the same.

- Patrick
=======

#18 ·
Maybe it's just me, but the new ehMac site definitely seems to be much faster than it was.

Just and just to mention again, I am finding it much nicer and easier to use and that's especially true with some of the new features.

And finally, at long last, I now get pages here with a more normal text line length wrapping properly which makes posts much easier to read. I hope they all work the same.

- Patrick
=======
It's definitely faster. It's not jut a redesign but an updated platform. The search function, which was terrible before, is now very quick and accurate.

#21 ·
One thing I miss from the old layout is that you could see the subject of the first thread in each section from the main page. Now you need to click on it to see where there is activity and what has recently be replied to.

#22 ·
The forum software is far better than that old bloated 3.something VB stuff, I bet it was Swiss cheese for security. Tho the top banner is a bit 'spammy' looking. It sort of lost that identity of what this place was. There's a handful of Mac forums still limping along with a similar vibe as that.

#53 ·
Hey there. Hope you don't mind if I poke my head in the forums for a bit. :)

I visited ehMac a few days ago... I noticed the site has been changed to Xenforo. Thought that was really interesting because A) Back in 2011 (Almost 10 years ago to the day), I was contemplating moving ehMac to Xenforo when that platform had just come out (BTW... searching is 1000x better now ;) ) and B) I was researching forum platforms again for another project I am doing.

Not a fan of the home landing page that just digs up old threads, but WOW... the site sure feels fast and snappy to me and I really like the forum software. I would just tweak a few of the settings and such.

I see that Macrurmors and quite a few other large forums have switched to Xenforo as well.

#26 ·
I do not like the change at first glance, but I guess like everything else I can get accustomed to it slowly.

One question though - why should we as members see that a certain post has been reported by someone? When I click on "New" I see multiple entries of "Post reported by membername". Maybe we could just go back to the old way of showing the actual thread and one of the posts in said thread could be "Spam reported" or some such thing as it used to be?

Cheers

#28 · (Edited)
One question though - why should we as members see that a certain post has been reported by someone? When I click on "New" I see multiple entries of "Post reported by membername". Maybe we could just go back to the old way of showing the actual thread and one of the posts in said thread could be "Spam reported" or some such thing as it used to be?

+1!!! I agree completely. Thanks for posting that Tilt, and your description is excellent as i was wondering how to phrase the same question.

- Patrick
=======

#27 ·
I get a little choked up thinking about what SINC, the former resident curmudgeon, would say about the change.

... and then I smile knowing he'd have had something to say. :cool:

Reactions: pm-r
#36 ·
Anyone else having issues with the site as in old posts from years and years ago moving to the top of the list and saying they were made 8 days ago? The Anything Mac section is a great example. In my recommended reading I get all sorts of really old topics for some reason.

#37 ·
Anyone else having issues with the site as in old posts from years and years ago moving to the top of the list and saying they were made 8 days ago? The Anything Mac section is a great example. In my recommended reading I get all sorts of really old topics for some reason.
Yep!
Also notice that editing takes an extra step and finding that button is not at all intuitive.

#40 ·
Also failed to notice a couple of PMs. They're very well hidden, you have to actively check to stand a chance of finding them.

#41 ·
very strange look, not a fan.. i guess i am old school.. this is what happens when you hire a 20 something with an iMac straight out of graphic design school lol

#42 ·
It has the look of something where they asked the employees to publicly vote on which design they liked better: the functional design the users liked, or the one designed by the boss's talented nephew.

#44 ·
Yeah that recommended thing and the sudden flooding of irrelevant posts for 8 years ago kinda wrecking the place for existing members is a drag. But I get the impression this place isn't really about the existing members so much as it is a huge database of posts and information (that we all provided for free) that the former owner sold off and hightailed it, that is a gold mine for search hits and therefore, ad impressions for their clients.

Its business.

#47 ·
Another annoying feature is the notification dot when it shows someone responded to a post. This is great feature and used well in other forums, this one it notifies me every time a thread I have posted in once has been replied to, like the weather thread. I don't remember posting in it, probably been years, but I am getting notified that a new post is there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.