ehMac banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
very strange look, not a fan.. i guess i am old school.. this is what happens when you hire a 20 something with an iMac straight out of graphic design school lol

·
Premium Member
42,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
very strange look, not a fan.. i guess i am old school.. this is what happens when you hire a 20 something with an iMac straight out of graphic design school lol
It has the look of something where they asked the employees to publicly vote on which design they liked better: the functional design the users liked, or the one designed by the boss's talented nephew.

·
Premium Member
15,407 Posts
It has the look of something where they asked the employees to publicly vote on which design they liked better: the functional design the users liked, or the one designed by the boss's talented nephew.

I guess you could call him talented, If and when he could get the site configured so it is actually a functional design. 😜

- Patrick
=======

·
peek-a-boo
16,234 Posts
Yeah that recommended thing and the sudden flooding of irrelevant posts for 8 years ago kinda wrecking the place for existing members is a drag. But I get the impression this place isn't really about the existing members so much as it is a huge database of posts and information (that we all provided for free) that the former owner sold off and hightailed it, that is a gold mine for search hits and therefore, ad impressions for their clients.

Its business.

Reactions: eMacMan

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
Yup. Sure annoying, isn't it?

I am beginning to wonder if all the admins are taking a leave of absence, or maybe just left and quit. Period.

It's beginning to make the site a bit of a PITA to use and navigate, as well as a waste of time checking on some of the post time stamps, to see if they are current or not.

I'm also beginning to think they don't read anything posted to the site itself in order to see what a mess parts of it are.

- Patrick
=======
They have been non existent for a long time. Even the posts regarding the updates seem liked canned posts, nothing specific to ehMac or the Mac community here. They do the bare minimum and collect whatever revenue they can. Took them ages to get rid of all the spam posts that flooded the one section and I wonder if they were getting a ton of email reports so they eventually got annoyed and decided to do something about it.

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
Another annoying feature is the notification dot when it shows someone responded to a post. This is great feature and used well in other forums, this one it notifies me every time a thread I have posted in once has been replied to, like the weather thread. I don't remember posting in it, probably been years, but I am getting notified that a new post is there.

·
Premium Member
42,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That "notify" dot is not very useful. I only want to see it if I have private message. It looks like the site has been redesigned to promote a lot of aimless clicking to increase the time one spends here.

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
That "notify" dot is not very useful. I only want to see it if I have private message. It looks like the site has been redesigned to promote a lot of aimless clicking to increase the time one spends here.
On other forums it is very handy as it notifies you when someone has either quoted you/replied to you. Makes it a lot easier to keep track of converstions you are apart of. The way it is setup now is not good, would be worse if the site was like it was some years ago.

·
Used to be Tilt
234 Posts
And more importantly, the dot does not disappear once you finish with the notification!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
seems this horrific unusable interface has hit vwvortex as well, which i believe is part of the same ownership

·
Premium Member
42,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
seems this horrific unusable interface has hit vwvortex as well, which i believe is part of the same ownership
They're using all of the information they gleaned from interacting with us about the new interface here to make the VWVortex rollout even better.

·
Premium Member
10,286 Posts
The forum software is far better than that old bloated 3.something VB stuff, I bet it was Swiss cheese for security. Tho the top banner is a bit 'spammy' looking. It sort of lost that identity of what this place was. There's a handful of Mac forums still limping along with a similar vibe as that.
Hey there. Hope you don't mind if I poke my head in the forums for a bit. :)

I visited ehMac a few days ago... I noticed the site has been changed to Xenforo. Thought that was really interesting because A) Back in 2011 (Almost 10 years ago to the day), I was contemplating moving ehMac to Xenforo when that platform had just come out (BTW... searching is 1000x better now ;) ) and B) I was researching forum platforms again for another project I am doing.

Not a fan of the home landing page that just digs up old threads, but WOW... the site sure feels fast and snappy to me and I really like the forum software. I would just tweak a few of the settings and such.

I see that Macrurmors and quite a few other large forums have switched to Xenforo as well.

·
Premium Member
15,407 Posts
Not a fan of the home landing page that just digs up old threads, but WOW... the site sure feels fast and snappy to me and I really like the forum software. I would just tweak a few of the settings and such.

+1, I totally agree.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions as to how to get the admins to finally get around to making some of the needed improvements?

The needed improvements seem to have come to a standstill some time ago. Maybe a stick of dynamite or two would help relieve the congestion and the Log Jam that seems to be happening with the site and actually get things fixed!!! That would be nice.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
10,286 Posts
+1, I totally agree.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions as to how to get the admins to finally get around to making some of the needed improvements?

The needed improvements seem to have come to a standstill some time ago. Maybe a stick of dynamite or two would help relieve the congestion and the Log Jam that seems to be happening with the site and actually get things fixed!!! That would be nice.

- Patrick
=======
They seem to have all their forums they own like AVS Forum and others with the exact same layout, so my guess would be there isn't much individual tweaking across forums, but I have no clue.

·
Premium Member
42,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Bare minimum, we need the little EhMac guy back on the header.

They seem to have all their forums they own like AVS Forum and others with the exact same layout, so my guess would be there isn't much individual tweaking across forums, but I have no clue.

·
Premium Member
15,407 Posts
At bare minimum, we need the little EhMac guy back on the header.

Unfortunately, I'm trying to think of at least one recommendation that the admins might have even implemented.

So I guess we cannot expect any more than what they provide. It's like getting provided a bowl of day-old gruel... Day after day after day...

Too bad... I thought most sites are developed to please people so that they actually enjoy coming back.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm trying to think of at least one recommendation that the admins might have even implemented.

So I guess we cannot expect any more than what they provide. It's like getting provided a bowl of day-old gruel... Day after day after day...

Too bad... I thought most sites are developed to please people so that they actually enjoy coming back.

- Patrick
=======
I think in the case of whoever owns ehMac now they are not about really developing a community. They own a bunch of forums, there is obviously some money to be made and they are getting it with the least amount of effort to maintain this site.

·
Premium Member
42,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I think in the case of whoever owns ehMac now they are not about really developing a community. They own a bunch of forums, there is obviously some money to be made and they are getting it with the least amount of effort to maintain this site.
They want to make the existing database of a million posts easier for Google to search, and they want to make it easier for us to expand that database — to increase advertising revenue. That's the business model.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
not sure what revenue they will find selling out dated threads lol
eh mac is not what it used to be, also i have ad blockers enabled so i am grateful that my bandwidth is not being used to harass me with unwanted and useless ads..

41 - 60 of 60 Posts