Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great! Now't the time for Dr. G to place his order. By the time it arrives his grants will all be in place and he will be able to pay. In the meantime I still await the arrival of my new G4 1.25 dual. :D

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
So new iPods are coming next week?!?

Apple sure has been busy updating their hardware line.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordguide:
New iPods are up on the US site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elmer:

Where?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Gordguide, where?

I just went to the US site and they have the same old models - 5GB, 10GB, 20GB. Is there a price cut or something?

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evan Holt:
Now that is a powerhouse home desktop!
http://www.apple.com/imac/

1Ghz, Superdrive, DDR Ram and Bluetooth build to order (but no FW 800)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

Why not improve the 15"? I can't even get a superdrive with the 15". That's pretty lame.

James

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I think the iPod thing was in error. Earlier this morning the Apple Store had a green, "new" logo next to the iPod...but now they have taken it away. It would seem that it was placed there in error...

Unless the Osborne 40GB model is about to be released. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Argimou, it is getting down to the wire. Either a new iMac or the 17" AlPB. I am trying to decide on the mobility issue vs the opportunity to purchase just the PB or the iMac, with a scanner and printer. The plot thickens, so to speak.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
PB, specifically, what are the advantages of the 800 vs the 400 Firewire port other than speed? What current devices might be utilized to take advantage of this speed? As well, what might be a use of the the "audio in" function?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
I just ordered my 17" iMac with an extra 512MB of RAM to replace an old Umax s900 I've been using as my primary workstation. Now I can step into the modern age! :D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
PB, specifically, what are the advantages of the 800 vs the 400 Firewire port other than speed? What current devices might be utilized to take advantage of this speed? As well, what might be a use of the the "audio in" function?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For now, there is no real benefit to the FW800 Port as there are no FW800 devices to take advantage of the increased speed. The main advantage it offers right now is because it is backwards compatible (with a little pin adapter) to FW400, the 17" PowerBook has 2 FireWire ports instead of just one.

The FW800 ports are more of a forwad thinking feature at the moment, just as the FireWire port was when they first added it to the lineup.

The Audio Line in is just what it sounds like, a Line Level (as opposed to Mic Level) audio input jack. Most self respecting audiophiles wont buy a computer without one. It allows you to record Audio, in real time, from external sources such as a stereo, MiniDisk Player, SoundBoard, etc.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Yo MaxPower, now there's someone who can make a decision, eh Dr. G?

As for Firewire 400 versus 800, there are very few peripherals that have FW800 ports (a couple of hard drives have been announced). By not including FW800 on all machines (only the pro line) Apple has made a weird move and essentially restricted the standard to a high end market. All DV cams have iLink (a four pin connector) and its unlikely consumer devices such as these will adopt FW800. This is partly because FW400 is just fine for the job and secondly because adoption of FW800 in the PC world is precisely zero.

Since FW800 is backwards compatible with FW400 (through a converter plug - although this apparently is causing some headaches), having the higher potential throughput does protect against obsolescence to a degree. Apple did buy a Firewire IC controller company last year. This might mean that Apple will develop its own peripheral devices to accelerate adoption (but why limit it to the pro models in that case?).

There have been rumours of an FW800 iPod but with todays iMac announcement, I don't see the point, especially since the Toshiba drives don't sustain a data throughput that saturates even the FW400 standard.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Interesting on the new iMacs... the 17 inch version has support for S-Video and Composite out with the optional adapter:

"Video out support
Need to connect to an external VGA display, projector or TV? That?s easy. Both iMac models feature mini-VGA output ports that work with an optional Apple VGA display adapter, and both support video mirroring. You can mirror your projects to an external display or projector ? perfect for presentations and for sharing your ideas. Additionally, the 17-inch iMac comes with support for S-Video and composite video signals, so you can display your multimedia projects on a big-screen TV: simply connect your TV to the video output port via the optional Apple Video Adapter, and you?re on television."

This is not available on the 15".... Wonder why? The iBook has 32 MB and can do it. Maybe because its Radeon and not nVidia?

That's great to have because if you've got built in DVd player, why not be able to hook it up to your TV?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I don't know; I was more excited about the latest PowerMac speedbumps. The iMacs are expensive enough, and the PowerMacs cheap enough, that if I were to get anything other than a base model iMac, I'd probably spend a bit more and get a PowerMac G4 with a 17" LCD screen (or a nice monitor, one of the two). The PowerMac would lack a SuperDrive, but would be faster overall (not to mention the fact that it's expandable).

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Also very wicked! It comes bundled with Sound Studio. VERY cool little app for digitizing analogue audio (And hey, new iMacs have sound in port again!)

Very cool little utility that is normally $50 US app. I've recommended this app dozens and dozens of times.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... New iPods are up on the US site.
Where? ..."

Maybe this is old news and I just missed it, but iPods now have a wired remote (10/20 standard, 5 optional), new models of headphones, a port cover for the Firewire port, a case w/belt clip, software v1.2 (supports audiobooks), a scheduling app, and a built-in quartz clock.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Yeah, that is a bit of older nes Gordguide. I think it happened right before you got back, which would explain how you missed it.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
PosterBoy, once again thanks for your info. When you wrote "It allows you to record Audio, in real time, from external sources such as a stereo....", am I to believe that I might be able to "unlock" my entire record collection from the 60s and download certain songs onto iTunes??? Thanks, also, ehMax, for your info as well. "Very interesting!" Decision time may be sooner than anticipated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.