Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Again,

Well, I'm trying out my new iMac and I love iPhoto, in another post I complained about missing some software such as Comic Life but, boy do I notice that this thing needs ram 'cause I can't even get it to download a clip from our sony dvd camcorder...I tried both iMovies (downloaded 06) ...the built in iSight seems to take preference over the camcorder....

3 Q's....1. Where to get a gig of ram cheap in Ottawa, ON
2. Can you disable iSight in iMovie ...
3. What's the best way to test your firewire or camcorder connection.

Thank-you!

David

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
boy do I notice that this thing needs ram 'cause I can't even get it to download a clip from our sony dvd camcorder.
Hi
How do you know this is a RAM issue? Did you open Activity monitor to see how much RAM was being used?

I have had good prices and service from Canadaram:

http://www.canadaram.com/

·
Registered
391 Posts
Also, I believe you'll need 2 gigs of ram. as the machine comes with 2 512mb sticks. you could put just one gig stick I guess but you might as well put 2. I just did that for my iMac and it was about $120.00 (2 gigs) (May of this year)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Also, I believe you'll need 2 gigs of ram. as the machine comes with 2 512mb sticks. you could put just one gig stick I guess but you might as well put 2. I just did that for my iMac and it was about $120.00 (2 gigs) (May of this year)
No, the new iMacs comes with 1 gig on one stick.

·
Registered
560 Posts
No, the new iMacs comes with 1 gig on one stick.
Nice improvement!! Then you can just add a single 2GB stick and sell off the 1GB later. I wouldn't buy a 1GB stick right now unless it was a budget limitation. 512MB sticks are practically worthless now since noone wants them! Only 1GB or better is in demand.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
canadaram for ram

they're not in ottawa, but shipping is FAST as well as the service is fantastic.
highly, highly recommend them. i can't find ram as cost effective as theirs in the ottawa area.

Cheers,
Keebler

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Are you sure it is the RAM? I have downloaded and created movies from my Canon camcorder with iMovie'06 on my G4 iBook with 512 RAM with no problems.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Check your camera manual to ensure that the camera is in the right mode for capture. I believe that the camera needs to be in PLAY mode. Turn the camera on BEFORE connecting it to the computer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had problems sporadically with my Sony MiniDV camcorder connecting to iMovie. Sometimes it would work, and other times not. I googled something and found that changing one of the settings in the camera menu helped. If you want to know what it was I can do some digging.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please...

Hi Ireynolds,

That's what I'm having problems with..a Sony DV camcorder...

I would very much appreciate your help please.:)

If you could look up the solution for me I would be very grateful!

Best Regards,

davidslegend

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check your camera manual to ensure that the camera is in the right mode for capture. I believe that the camera needs to be in PLAY mode. Turn the camera on BEFORE connecting it to the computer.
Thanks,

I'll try this as well...Thank's everybody...

Frustrating when you buy a brand new machine & find issue's with it working with your perferralsm(spell?)...sounds a bit like windows...oh, well

Cheers!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would say it's the software. For example, it takes iPhoto forever to download video into iPhoto from my Canon Powershoot S3. It just hangs until the battery quits or my patience does. I use the software from Canon for movies. Much faster.
How's the software that came with your Sony Camera? Worst case you might need to run it through Visual Hub to get the right stream.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Faulty firewire port...

Hi,

Well, I called Apple and we kind of figure out that I have a faulty firewire port so I guess I'm taking this in for service to iservicedepo in Ottawa tommorow. I could have got a replacement since I only purchased it 4 days ago from Futureshop but, they only have the more exspensive model in stock. The whole city is out of them & I just read on Macrumors that there is a bit of bottleneck as some part's are in short supply.

A bit worrying is that I can't force quit iDVD...it's acting bizarre & I'm kind of second guessing this mac 'cause of this....arghhhhh! More Ram?????!!!!!!!??

Oh well, I'll tough it out & take it in to have it looked at ASAP.

Cheers!

davidslegend:confused: XX) :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts