Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MacScoop believes that the new version of Apple's iLife suite has gone "Golden Master" -- meaning it is complete and ready for distribution.
Quote:
The development of the new iLife suite was actually finished a few weeks ago and nothing prevents Apple from releasing it during the summer or on early September, sources told MacScoop.
Many expected the iLife update at Macworld San Francisco 2007, but Apple made no mention or reference to it.

The last reference was from Apple's 1Q 2007 Financial Conference Call in which they suggested the iLife update was coming soon:
Quote:
Q: Is iLife still a January release time schedule? A: We don't comment on unreleased products, but stay tuned
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325355

http://macscoop.com/articles/2007/07/04/next-iteration-ilife-gone-golden-master-coming-leopard

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Awesome... but I thought that iLife/iWork didn't come out 'cause they have several "Leopard-dependant" features?

Maybe it's ready to go -- but I bet Apple will wait till Leopard releases... though I'd love to have a new iLife sooner ;)

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Can't wait. BRING IT ON! :love2:

G

·
What I'm wondering is if it's also going to run on Windows. With Safari now on windows it makes me go hmmmmm. I also remember a Dvorak rant a while back about how apple was going to drop OSX and move all their stuff over to windows ... which I think was a little whacky, but maybe he got his signals crossed and Apple was only intending to release all their auxiliary apps on windows as well. iApps ... then pro Apps ... you never know. Ok sorry, sounded a little like Dvorak there LOL.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Releasing iLife to Windows would be one more reason not to buy a Mac.

G

·
Or gain many more rounds of switchers ater they run iLife on windows and realise that if all mac software is like that they will be happier ;) .. not to mention probably a boatload of software sales. There I go again, in Dvorak mode LOL :D

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me honestly ... but they did release Safari, which is a bit odd I think. If they are going to release free stuff, why not commercial too. Obviously they've gone a long way with getting their apps to run win32 for some reason, and I can't really see them trying to make a run at IE and Firefox for marketshare in the browser world .. that doesn't make much sense, but in the context of making their win32 environment more robust . . .

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I'd be very surprised if they released iLife for Windows. Every time they ported to Windows it was for an ulterior motive to enhance hardware sales (iTunes->iPod, Safari->iPhone app development), but there's no such hardware "partner" for iLife that Windows users would buy -- but they HAVE TO buy a Mac to use iLife, the best consumer media creation suite in the world.

Besides, Windows folks are getting PLENTY of Apple goodness in their experiences with the iPod, Apple TV (stateside, anyways) and now the iPhone without having to buy a Mac. I say THAT's ENOUGH!! :mad: The Halo Effect, along with Macintel, are resulting in better than ever Mac sales, anyways. As I see it, the situation is fine!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
... but they did release Safari, which is a bit odd I think.
Safari actually made a lot of sense.

Developers on Windows who want to create apps for the iPhone need the Safari webkit (hence the reason it was released at a developer conference)

Safari is the web browser for the iPhone so they want Windows users to get comfortable with it

And lastly (insert X-Files music here) Apple wants to ween Windows users off of IE for the eventual day that Apple releases OS X for Intel as a standalone retail product installable on any PC considering IE is no longer available for Mac. They don't want users going into shock that there's no IE and want to give them a browser they are familiar with. Far fetched? Maybe.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
If iLife 07 is released before Leopard, will it just be an update..or would it have to be sold seperatly?

If it's sold seperatly, will it be part of Leopard?

Because I wouldn't want to spend money on iLife 07 to use on Tiger and then buy Leopard which would already be bundled with it.

Sorry bout the noob question, still new to new releases from the almighty apple.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
iLife is never bundled with the OS. It's just bundled with new machines.
Well.... there have been some rumours about Apple wanting to add value to Leopard and the upgrade in general and include either iLife or iWork 07 with the Leopard release.

But again, these are just rumours. Never say never I guess. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
That may be...but still a let down. For a somewhat new mac user...everything I have to pay extra for...is a let down.

But oh well... I'll buy it. :greedy:
Hey, the release of iLife 07 (or whatever it'll be called) will not render your bundled iLife 06 unbootable, and it's a great package as it is!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey, the release of iLife 07 (or whatever it'll be called) will not render your bundled iLife 06 unbootable, and it's a great package as it is!
Oh I'm not doubting that. I love iLife 06...well the parts I use almost everyday (iPhoto and iMovie), but if iLife 07 is going to add new features...why not upgrade?

The only 2 reasons I can see not to upgrade is if you don't use any iLife apps, or if you don't have the money to upgrade.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That may be...but still a let down. For a somewhat new mac user...everything I have to pay extra for...is a let down.

But oh well... I'll buy it. :greedy:
It's the same sort of relationship as windows has with office. Did Vista come with Office 2007? Not unless you bought a new computer no. They are two seperate products. If you bought Vista they didn't give you a free copy of Office 2007, and i doubt they ever will.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts