Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen on a local Mac retailer's page:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
"PM G4, 15” Apple Studio Display, Flat Panel, Fiji, Vente Finale, Service Seulement par Apple"
"17” Apple Studio Display
PM G4, 17” Apple Studio Display, Flat Panel, Vente Finale, Service Seulement par Apple"
"22” Apple Studio Display
PM G4, 22” Apple Cinema Display, Flat Panel, Falcon, Vente Finale, Service Seulement par Apple"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does "Vente Finale" mean final sale? Could this mean we will see new displays next week?

Note, "Vente Finale" does not appear next to the 23" LCD display.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,391 Posts
Yes, it means "Final sale, service only from Apple". What this actually means re next week only they know. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
From Think Secret's web page:

100% - iAPP UPDATES...BUT FOR A FEE
After Steve Jobs begins his keynote by putting a positive spin on his Apple retail stores -- which by the way aren't having any impact whatsoever on Mac market share -- he'll dive right into the updates to a number of iApps ranging from iDVD, to iMovie, to iPhoto. He'll wow the crowd with all the new features. He'll feed his ego with the crowd's "ooooohh's" and "aaahhh's."
And then he'll drop the bomb that if you want full version upgrades of these products, you'll pay a little less than $50 for a bundled package, sources tell us. Isn't it funny that Apple finally learned something Mac shareware authors have been living off of for years. What's the famous Michael Douglas line..."Greed is good"? You be the judge.

100% - 802.11g
While the Windows world is just now waking up in droves to the value of Wi-Fi (a.k.a. AirPort), Apple wants to stay on the cutting edge. It's time for 802.11g and data transfer rates of up to 54Mbps in the 2.4GHz spectrum. Don't buy an existing AirPort base station (even if you could get one!). Hello better, faster AirPort.

100% - NO RE-VAMPED iMACS/eMACS
As hard as this is to believe, there will be no iMac/eMac speed-bumps or all new models in San Francisco, as we reported earlier today. Why? Apple's focus in San Francisco will be software and wireless (and maybe something else that we'll get to later). Also, Apple is sitting on a huge inventory of existing products because of poor Christmas sales.
If you see anything about existing Macs at Expo it might be price reductions to clear out inventory before new, speed-bumped products are introduced in late January or early February. Usually if Apple reduces prices, there's no announcement at the keynote, but simply quiet price cuts online later that same day.

100% - NO MONITOR LINE RE-VAMP
Why re-vamp your monitors when you're not going to do the same thing on your professional towers? Sources confirm no new flat-panel displays will be announced, so the 15-inch version will not be killed off immediately, as has been so speculated. Look for a display re-focus in late January or early February.

50% - APPLE-BRANDED BROWSER
If this is announced, kudos to Apple for keeping it so tightly under wraps. We hear rumblings and we hear something Apple will announce Microsoft won't be happy about. Is this it?

50% - iCHAT UPDATE

0% - G4 TOWER SPEED BUMPS
Not now. Soon.

0% - POWERBOOK/iBOOK RE-VAMP/SPEED BUMPS
Too soon. 1 GHz G3 processor in iBooks coming later.

0% - XSERVE RAID DEBUT
It was delayed from December, but this Expo is more of a consumer-oriented show, so forget it until later in January.

0% - QUICKTIME 6.1
'Disappointing' is the best word we could put on this news, but 'embarrassing' is just as good. Get on the stick, Frank Casanova. Microsoft's Windows Media Center Edition is kicking your butt.

0% - APPLEWORKS 7
Office compatibility will be added, but this product isn't ready for prime time.

0% - iPOD UPDATE
Lower prices, bigger capacity and added Bluetooth? Not now, but it's coming.

0% - BLUETOOTH WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE
It just a matter of time, but because it's still so expensive to make Bluetooth products cheap enough, it won't be now.

0% - APPLE PDA
Our thanks to Dan Gillmor of the San Jose Mercury News for his hilarious prediction that Apple would come out with a PDA. For a man with his finger on the pulse of technology news right in his own backyard, you wonder how he keeps his job. When is this rumor ever going to stop? Apple is not going to get into the PDA business. Everyone, please give up.

0% - 19-INCH, FLAT-PANEL iMAC
Where do these rumors get started!? Don't believe every rumor from Asian newspapers. Stop the madness!
So after looking at the list, you're reaction is, "Is that all?!" Maybe not. We can't see Steve Jobs doing a keynote with just a bunch of iApp announcements and a new AirPort base station as the main items. There are rumblings of something bigger than any of this; something Apple should be congratulated for keeping under such tight wraps, if true. Let's say it's 40% inspiration, 60% clues, but we wouldn't be totally surprised to see an innovative tablet Mac in the $1100 to $1500 range. Just think of it...Inkwell handwriting recognition, iSync capabilities, Bluetooth and a PCMCIA slot for an optional AirPort card. Just like the iMac, it's time for Apple to innovate again.
Is this the best place to remind you that of our 100% predictions last July every one of them came true?

---------------------

ehMax -

- I'm in the minority, but I can't wait to see the new iApps. There's going to be a lot of flack if they charge for upgrades but... such is life. They probably found out something when they started charging for Jaguar "Updates" Still, going to leave a bad taste in people's mouth. :mad:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not an Economics major, so correct me if I'm wrong. Presumably Apple's sales figures aren't so good lately and that Apple's market share isn't going up.

So if they DECREASE the price on some of their products, stop charging for .Mac, not charge for the iApps (which are the core of Apple's entire "Digital Hub" strategy), wouldn't they gain MORE customers, instead of losing people?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're business isn't doing well, isn't raising prices (or at least delaying price decreases) the LAST thing you do???

·
Registered
933 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
If Apple starts charging for the iApps, they can kiss my you know what..

Come on, charge for .Mac, charge for iApps.. that is just too too much. I already paid three times the price for my computer then I would have for a PC...

Frustrated... to think about the idea... :mad:

RtC
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I pay happily for good shareware (good = useful to me) and most of the iApps certainly qualify as far as that goes. I'm considering forking out $30-50 (US) for some iMovie plugins. If Apple's iMovie update fills some of my needs I don't see why I wouldn't pay for it.

The main problem I see with that rumour, however, is that not all of the iApps are useful to mainstream Mac users (iDVD in particular). I would not appreciate having to pay for a bundle that includes iDVD when I do not own a SuperDrive.

Another interesting thing is that the programmers who make competing Mac shareware will likley reap the benefits of hanging in so long if disgruntled Mac-ites jump ship.

Another possible problem: Will Apple continue to offer support for "out-dated" versions of the iApps in future updates of OS X? What if you're perfectly happy with iMovie 2.2 but at some point it doesn't work with X.3 or X.5? That would certainly piss me off.

·
Registered
363 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're business isn't doing well, isn't raising prices (or at least delaying price decreases) the LAST thing you do???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the thing is, they're not doing badly.
considering the economy, and relative to every other tech company, they're doing quite well.

also, they know how much they can jerk around their customers. for most mac users, it's hard to imagine them doing something so bad that it warrants changing platforms.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
sniper wrote:
"the thing is, they're not doing badly.
considering the economy, and relative to every other tech company, they're doing quite well."

Not really. Take a look at the last four quarters for Apple, Dell, and Microsoft. Apple's doing okay, but there are other companies out there that are doing just as well, if not better.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Actually, thinking about this more... this is kind of what they've done in the past already. RTC, by the report, they're going to charge for upgrades to some of the iApps... They already did this with iDVD... From iDVD 1 to iDVD 2, you had to pay $75 Cdn to get it.

They will still give iApps free with new machines, but if you want to go from iMovie 2 to the iMovie 3 version, its looks like they are going to charge.

Let's hold a bit of judgement back and see how they do it

·
Registered
363 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
Not really.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd take apple staying near level with dell and microsoft. wouldn't you?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I would agree. I think Apple better watch it. They're getting a little greedy.

They should at least do some token gestures here and there to reward people who have been faithful to the Mac for a long time.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
MWSF Scoop - new iApp!!

iOU - OS X fully integrated app that seamlessly transfers the weekly residual in your bank account to Apple. You were going to buy that software/hardware/vaporware anyway, so let Apple make it even easier to stay current with its latest technology. Trust us, we know what's best for you.

My feeling is that Apple has some new hardware gadget up their sleeves. Something that will be too expensive for the mainstream but will be a drop-dead-cool/gotta-have for those with more disposable income (assuming they haven't installed iOU). By the time the Fall shopping season comes around, it will be cheaper (in response to a lousy rip-off). As for charging for iApps, if the upgrades are good enough, then people will buy them. It's a simple equation. Computing hardware is increasing in longevity and people are deferring new purchases until they can really justify it. The only way to maintain some of the income is to charge people to keep their current machines optimized. At least Apple has that option. The other hardware makers don't.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
sniper wrote:
"i'd take apple staying near level with dell and microsoft. wouldn't you?"

Maybe with Microsoft, but Dell's revenues have grown over the last four quarters (as has profit), while Apple's revenues have stayed the same, and Apple posted a $45 million loss last quarter.

I'm not saying that Apple's doing poorly (although I wonder what the $45 million loss came from; the Apple retail stores?), I'm just not convinced they're doing well compared to every other tech company.

·
Registered
363 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
Apple posted a $45 million loss last quarter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was due to their buying out a half dozen software companies, not their actual business's success.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I guess it all comes down to what you need. I wont pay for iMovie 3 if it does indeed come out because I don't even use iMovie 2. However, for the people who do use iMovie, support for widescreen formats and chapter markers would be a cool asset, and worth the 20-50$ USD that Apple will likely charge for it.

Keeping in mind that they will probably only charge for upgrading. I am sure that new machines will come with the new versions.

And if iMovie and iDVD are offered in a bundle, I am sure they will be offered seperately as well, as Apple knows that while a lot of people do have a superdrive, a lot more don't.

Unless they make it cheap that is. Like 20$ for both updates.

Only time will tell. 4 days to go.

--PB

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>used to be jwoodget wrote:
MWSF Scoop - new iApp!!
iOU <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

!ROTFLOL! :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
RicktheChemist wrote:
"I just thought of the perfect solution to all my Mac problems.. hopefully they will announce a version of OSX that will run on a PC platform. Then, I would never have to spend three times the money on hardware."

Indeed! If I could run Mac OS X on a Dell, then I wouldn't mind paying the extra money for the iApps. As it is right now, though, after paying a whole lot of money for the hardware, I'm not exactly inclined to keep throwing money at Apple for something they used to distribute for free.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts