ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that Griffin released a new version of their iMic:iMic2

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that it has a slightly different white case that will match your new iMac better. Am I missing something else?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Hard to say. It's fairly common for AD/DA chips to be dropped or replaced with higher performing ICs by manufacturers, so it's quite possible the circuitry has been updated.

I bought the iMic first but soon replaced it with a "real" ADDA converter after I realized it's limitations (it's quite audible in A/B comparisons with the source program material). It took a few devices before I finally settled on one; unfortunately it cost me $ 750 before I found one that had the performance I needed. These days the better FW and USB devices are good, so if your needs are critical you won't have to spend as much as I did.

The iMic (original) was adequate but hardly perfect, with in particular a rather lazy, rolled off high end and rather poor bass response (red=line in; blue= mic in). In it's defense, it's a rather good curve for spoken voice recording, but not for serious audio use.

Compare that to Apple's built-in audio (eg: PowerBook G4). An improved chip in the iMic would be welcome news.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
gordguide said:
It took a few devices before I finally settled on one; unfortunately it cost me $ 750 before I found one that had the performance I needed.
Gordguide, for the sake of curiosity, what DID you end up settling on?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts