Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded the new Firefox Quantum. Like all new Firefox iterations it seems snappy enough. Was disappointed, however, to see that all new tabs open with a screen featuring recent pages visited and rows of clickbait.

I actually don't want Firefox to record my browsing history and the adware is an unhappy development. Worse, there are no user controls to create a blank tab. Had to download a third-party extension "New Tab Override" to return it to a simple home page.

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well... it is a beta, after all. Maybe in the final release (Nov. 14th). Be sure to add your feedback!
Yes, I'm a beta tester and offer regular feedback. Still, the decision to include a branded new tab page was well enough known to developers to spur the creation of the new add-on.

·
Premium Member
17,781 Posts
Thanks for the warning. Will stay where I am until that issue is addressed. I have always set new tabs to open blank and like it that way.

EDIT: I see the version I am using in el Cap is also doing this, not on opening but when I bring up a fresh tab. Usually I close out to clear history and cookies rather than just opening an empty tab, so this is the first I had noticed it.

Have been using Safari a bit more on this computer now that I have found an efficient ad blocker. I think this is a trial so if the price is out of line may soon be back to FireFox.

·
Premium Member
17,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,781 Posts
The Cog is gone, and the Tab settings in Beta don't allow you to select a blank tab.
You probably did it right, but to be clear the cog shows in the corner of a fresh tab, not in the navigation bar and not in the initial launch tab.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts