Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. I'd like to get this straight once and for all.

Do you, or do you NOT have to pay duty when bringing (actually driving with your car with your computer in the trunk from the us to canada) a new imac computer up to canada from the us? (ie. NAFTA?!)

I'd like to hear from people that have actual facts/experience with this if possible (I want to stay away from hearsay).

There's got to be at least one person in this entire community that has experiened or knows for sure about this...

Thank you in advance.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I would chime in with my personal experiences with Mac computers, computer parts and having read NAFTA regulations regarding import of items form the U.S. into Canada, but don't need the tongue lashing I would most certainly get for my efforts.

C'est la vie. C'est la guerre.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well after a bunch of searching on forums this is what I've found..and it sounds like the most legitimate...

"There is no duty on electronics anymore (hasn't been for sometime now, call customs and keep dialing "0" until you speak toan officer, they'll tell you the same thing). The only extra charges you'll get hit for (and there is some variability here) are GST and PST."

Since I'm getting it shipped to just south of the border in blaine and bringing back across myself, I guess all it comes down to is whether I declare it or not...to have to pay the taxes...*grrrr*. Guess it depends if I believe that the Canadians have x-ray machines that scan your trunk for hidden items....lol. That would be a pretty obvious big box.....LOL

·
Registered
237 Posts
Better check on the warranty. Except for Powerbooks, I didn't think that the warranty was valid outside of the country that the computer was purchased in.

John

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anybody have evidence to back up what johnnyg4 is saying? If I'm using applecare what should it matter?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
If my understanding is correct, then JohnnyG4 comment is correct with certain electronic products that were brought in to Canada from the US without paying duty. This only becomes an issue when you have to send something that is covered under warrenty back to the US for repair, but have no way of proving how this item was brought into the country.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I just called apple and they said there is no problem and no difference if you buy it in the states and bring it up to canada. Internationally is a different story. They have the same product number here as down there so they don't make the distinction that one was bought through canada or the states.

I must also say ...lol...that I was very frank, polite, and honest with him and told him that i was not actually buying through them but that I was getting a very good deal through mac warehouse and since I'm a student I just couldn't pass up the deal. His tone obviously changed since I'm not "one of their customers", but he was still nice and tried to actually find a deal for me through them...but he just couldn't beat the deal, so he apologized and said goodbye very nicely.

Very impressed.

So it looks like there is no duty, no problems with warranty, and no US tax. All I have to do is figure out a way to get around the Canadian Tax...which at 14.5% would end up being around $450. :( *sigh*
It may not sound like much but it ends up buying me virtual pc.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
If you try and sneak the computer in through the border and don't declare it, and its discovered, then you can be liable to a significant fine much higher than and in addition to the payable tax or even have the item confiscated. It's a risk, especially as the border crossing as so unpredictable now in terms of the amount of attention an agent may pay you. Are you feeling lucky?

Depending on the State of destination, MacWarehouse will charge different sales taxes (as they will consider the shipping address as the final destination). You don't have much choice (unless you wanna drive to North Dakota...).

In any case, good luck whatever you decide to do but remember that for the sake of several hundred $$, you are foregoing the convenience of having a local shop who made you a sale (and therefore may have some expectation that they could make a future sale) deal with any problems. For sure, MacWarehouse won't give a damn and although AppleCare allows you to go to whichever authorised dealer you like, you'll be just another customer. In your profession, where loss of a days use or some data, etc. costs a lot more than $400, I think its wise to build up a rapport with a local dealer. It may save a future contract.

Just MHO.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by used to be jwoodget:
If you try and sneak the computer in through the border and don't declare it, and its discovered, then you can be liable to a significant fine much higher than and in addition to the payable tax or even have the item confiscated. It's a risk, especially as the border crossing as so unpredictable now in terms of the amount of attention an agent may pay you. Are you feeling lucky? .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still toying with that. I've been screwed with customs so much between me moving up and down there as well as my husband, and all the immigration crap he has gone through..my attitude sure is to try and sneak it by. He drives up every single day to and from work and over 4 months has not been checked ONCE! So you can see that the temptation is there. I just wonder if they have x-ray machines or not?

[/QB]Depending on the State of destination, MacWarehouse will charge different sales taxes (as they will consider the shipping address as the final destination). You don't have much choice (unless you wanna drive to North Dakota...).[/QB]

They only charge tax to like 5 states...and WA isn't one of them.

[/QB]For sure, MacWarehouse won't give a damn and although AppleCare allows you to go to whichever authorised dealer you like, you'll be just another customer. In your profession, where loss of a days use or some data, etc. costs a lot more than $400, I think its wise to build up a rapport with a local dealer. It may save a future contract.[QB]

My powerbook is being bought up here...the imac is the second computer. I'm not worried about "a day or two" with that computer that's why I didn't buy my powerbook from down there.

Thanks for the advice. I have to go talk to my brain now...lol

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Pamela, with your luck, you will try to bring the computer into Canada on the day the US declares that Apple Mac computers are so powerful and sophisticated, that for "national security", they must remain in the US and not fall into the hands of "enemies of the state". Good luck.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Still, if you do get caught, I wonder what the specific consequences might be of this act?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
Still, if you do get caught, I wonder what the specific consequences might be of this act?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to know. You just can't get the answers though. Plus it varies from officer to officer. I was tempted to call up and directly ask. But I don't know what kind of super powers they might have to track me down...LOL

My husband became a landed immigrant in canada 4 months ago. My biggest worry is that something happens with that...

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
False declarations and the seizure of goods

If you do not declare goods, or if you falsely declare them, we can seize the goods. This means that you may lose the goods permanently, or that you may have to pay to get them back.

Depending on the type of goods and the circumstances involved, we may impose a penalty that ranges from 25% to 80% of the goods' value.

The law also allows us to seize vehicles you use to unlawfully import goods. When this happens, we impose a penalty you have to pay before we return the vehicle. We usually seize commodities such as alcohol and tobacco products outright when they are not properly declared, and you cannot get them back.

We keep a record of infractions in our computer system that can influence the customs inspection process. If you have an infraction record, you may have to undergo a more detailed customs examination on future trips.

If you have had your goods seized and disagree with the action taken, you can appeal. To do this, you should write a letter to us within 30 days of the date of the seizure, to tell us you want to appeal. You can send the letter to any of our customs offices. You can find more information about the appeal process on the front of your seizure receipt form.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found a website with the information...and they have a duty/tax calculator too...but for some reason, the category of computers says no duty, no gst, but pay pst. so i went to the calculator, entered the info and the category...and it came out saying that I had to pay GST?!! I'M SO SICK OF MISINFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's the site, maybe someone else can tell me what the heck is going on???
http://www.aacb.com/info/expectpage.htm

·
Registered
569 Posts
Pamela
What services does your fledgling company offer that are not available in Washington State or perhaps others at a lower price? You seem to want to purchase south of the border to save money to the detriment of profits to your Canadian Apple Dealer.

I wonder how you might feel if your potential clients in BC took the same attitude.

Its called marketing or what goes around comes around.

You seem to be working the system to the n'th degree....buying for the best price and contempating smuggling to avoid 400 dollars in taxes? With a new husband that could potenitaly lose his landed immigrant status?

Boy it sure seems to be a great deal .....NOT

Remind me to never ever consider contacting your company The ethics do not seem to be there. If you will screw the system (government/taxes/smuggling ) then I am sure you will do the same to your clients . Just IMHO

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Brian Scully wrote:
You seem to be working the system to the n'th degree....buying for the best price and contempating smuggling to avoid 400 dollars in taxes?

What's also funny is that she complains when people won't pay what she wants for her old laptop (which was overpriced in the first place) :D

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are entitled to you opinion, but I think you are blowing it just a *little* bit out of proportion.

I am still a student...and I am trying to get my business up and running with no capital. And for all the grief Canada customs/immigration has put me through over the last year and a half, $450 is a grain of sand on a beach compared to the emotional and financial losses I have concurred because of them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts