Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

Just thought I'd post this info from MacRumors.com:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A 5GB Low-End iPod?

Tuesday November 25, 2003 01:27 PM

An unconfirmed report suggests that we may see a low-end/cheaper 5GB iPod introduced from Apple as early as the November 28th, 2003 In-Store Apple event.

It has already been revealed that the event will bring 10% discounts on current iPods and music-related purchases.

Steve Jobs has previously expressed interest in creating a cheaper iPod, but claimed "We just don't know how to do it right now."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

AAAaaaand... as a follow-up article:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Newsweek posts a short interview with Steve Jobs about the new iTunes Music Store for Windows.

The interview touches on Apple vs. Microsoft, as well as the frequent topic of a cheaper iPod:

Q: Some think you wouldn’t want to sell a $100 iPod because the profit margin would be so low.

Jobs: What are you talking about? We’d love to have a $100 iPod! We just don’t know how to do it right now. We’re constantly trying to make cheaper iPods. We’re working on the next step.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

AAAaaaand... some more evidence:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Apple is now advertising for the November 28th Apple Store event on their retail store page.

"Someone you know loves music
You'll want to kick off your holiday shopping at the Apple Store. We’ll be hosting an all-day shopping event designed especially for the music lovers on your list. Whether they’re Mac or Windows users, you’ll find a scintillating array of gifts, plus, a few surprises in store for you. "

Local Apple Stores have started advertising the event as well, according to reader submissions.
Our previous report on the event noted iTunes Gift Certificate sales, free iTunes Software CDs and discounts. More specifically, based on reports, Apple will be offering 10% all Music-related items including iPods, Accessories and Software.

....SO! Whadya' think? Imagine a sub $100 U.S. iPod??? What a stocking stuffer!!!!

:D :eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
This has already been posted, but I'll give my 2¢ as to why I don't think this will come true.

A) Apple head office is closed this week for Thanksgiving, so I doubt this is being worked on.

B) Why would they announce a product on the busiest shopping day of the year? Wouldn't they announce it a few days beforehand to make sure people come out and buy it?

C) I just don't think a $99 US iPod is a reality right now.

It's wishful thinking, I want to believe it but it just doens't add up.

What's more likely is that Apple is discounting their existing iPods on the busiest shopping day of the year to get as many out there as possible.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Don't forget that this is a huge shopping weekend in the US starting on friday as most have the day off. Why don't we have an Apple store in TO?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yoyo,

You just opened up a can of worms with that question on this board. Should be interesting what the Apple Retailers have to say on this oh so touchy subject.

If we had an Apple Store in Toronto, you can bet that the majority of Mac users would purchase 90% of their items at the Apple Store and forget about the local Apple Retail stores. It's just common nature to do that. Then we would have the local retailers quite peeved off and disgruntled. That's the short version :D I will now leave it up to some of the local retailers to comment on what they think?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
well the local retailers deserve it.. sorry to say, but they never offer any incentives or free upgrades and only offer the same price apple does.. so why should we shop at a reseller if we could buy directly from the source? cant even use a student discount at resellers, so what's the point?.. maybe if the resellers would offer more incentives and free ram upgrades or something like the american resellers it wouldn't be a problem... Bring on the APPLE STORES!!

[ November 27, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: kloan ]

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Point one: most resellers sell at the same cost as Apple, or lower

Point Two: Educational discounts are given to the school to offer them incentives, and therefore the resellers cannot get the "good" deals...

Point Three: who do you want to keep employed? Some dude in a call center.. or a guy that actually shops locally also..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
as like everyone else, i want a deal. when im going to be spending $2500, i want a reason to shop at a local store as opposed to shopping from the source. ive not seen one local store that is selling anything mac at a lower cost than apple. isnt there something called price fixing?

i agree with points 2 and 3...

·
Registered
645 Posts
RTC,

You're wrong on point number one. I know of only one place that sells below the Apple Store, but like I said they sort of make up for it in shipping costs, that place is Macwarehouse Canada. They are also one of the few and I mean few that advertise Free RAM upgrades or Free Printer or Free Laptop Bag with certain purchases. Majority of Apple Retail Stores in Ontario either:

A) Jack the price higher then Apple's Online Store

OR

B) Match Apple's Online Store

(A) Being the norm in most cases. Now if all Apple Retail stores offered some incentive then it would make buying a Mac much more pleasing in Ontario. I'm so sick of hearing and reading ads from U.S. Online Apple Retail stores always offering cool incentives and at the same time lower prices for a Mac product. Then you hear about it from people on U.S. Apple community boards on what a deal they got and all the freebies etc... and when asked what we as a Canadian got.......well.......we just got the Mac computer and ummm....the pretty box that it came in? They pretty much laugh at us.

So, I'm in agreement with kloan, if Apple where to open an Apple Store in T.O. and offer the same prices as its Online Store I would be there in a heartbeat. Instant gratification of owning a Mac product instead of waiting weeks/months. Plus I will save $$ and not lose out on any incentives..well because there really are none being offered.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Maybe its a 5 gigger at US$199? That would fit the range at least. Also, there's room for a flash memory device at US$99 from Apple (ePod) that works with AAC and iTMS. That would only have 128-256 Mb though. Still, would make a nice introduction to the iTMS and be useful as a firewire or USB memory card. I bet buyers of an ePod would be likely to migrate to an iPod.

(idea first pitched on macrumors)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think a 100US iPod would be great. But it would be a bad move for Apples profit margin. But then on the other hand, it screw all the competition, even that new Dull digital jukebox.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
They could reduce some features for a cheaper iPod and call it the iPod.

The current iPod we have now should be made the higher line and be called the powerPod

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I just work at Carbon, I am not the "official" voice of Carbon (which is CarbonMac).

This week we have advertised in NOW magazine, our website and ehMac that we are offering an iSkin EXO iPod case with the purchase of any iPod. I know we've been working on this for a while, so it's not in response to this thread

Our iPod prices are the same as Apple's SRP but we are throwing in a case for free. This is great because if you buy the 10 Gig model it doesn't come standard with a case, and if you buy a 20 or 40 Gig model it's nice to have a second case hanging around.

Oh, and you can have your choice of any of 23 colours (it's not like we're just sticking you with the puke green, unless of course you want the puke green :D ).

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hello CarbonKen

First I want to say thank you for commenting and letting us know about the incentives on the iPod purchases
. I think that is a great idea and deal for those interested in an iPod purchase.

Great to see people like Carbon Computing voicing their opinions and sharing with us their updates on products.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i absolutely agree. there must be more incentives to buy from another reseller than the source. i will not buy from a reseller if the cost are the same mainly for two reasons: first, it's not the source, and second, what about return issues?

resellers give me a very hard time when i want to return something. i have to explain a great deal, and if i'm lucky, i get my money back. this is different from the Apple store. if the product is unopened, and within the set date, you get your money back.

it's simple.. the guys working at the Apple Store don't own the place.. so they don't care. the resellers often give their employees a hard time when their customer comes back asking for a refund, so... it's in their best interest to refuse it.

it's like, where would you rather buy a Fido phone? from the Fido kiosk? or from the "wireless wave" stalls staffed by teenagers?

-Phil

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well I have personally been an iPod owner for almost a year and a half it's a fantastic gadget. I listen to it everyday to and from work and also use it as a FireWire hard drive quite a bit.

I must say this is a fantastic community and I'm pretty proud to be working somewhere that helps sponser this site. All the other Mac forums just aren't "Canadian" enough for me, I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts