Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 333mhz imac and the cd-drive is kapoot. i would like to but an external cd-rw drive for it. can anybody suggest a good drive that is easily compatible as well?

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
I have a LaCie CD-RW drive myself, works great. Pretty much any USB or Firewire ext. drive you plug into a mac is pretty much ready to go.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you have Firewire, you really want to do that route.

I've always been 100% happy with any LaCie product that I have had

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I had an LG 24X burner in my last QuickSilver G4, never made a frisbee, not a one, and I swore I'd buy another LG burner after I sold it. I mean, seriously, this thing burned at top speed every single time. And I burned a ton of them.

I used to think of Yamaha as the burner king in the SCSI days of Mac computing, but now I've turned to LG as the boss for CDr burners.

Just one Mac User's opinion though. Plextor may be as good or better.

-GW

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Only 400 MHz DV or better iMacs had FireWire ports, so you're stuck with USB-based CD-RW external drives.

And I agree about fast and reliable LG drives - my LG burner is top-notch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another LG endorsement here. I bought the DVD/CDRW 48x24x48 recently and have been quite pleased with it. Fast,quiet and reliable.

And cheap. $99.

I had to get a custom driver from xcelr8yourmac so iTunes and Disc Burner would recognize it, but it worked with Toast instantly,so no big deal.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Dolawren,

Kind of expensive, but it is probably a better idea than tying up a valuable USB port.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts