Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think these announcements of upgrades are going to be game changers. Improved functionality is nice, but it would be great to see some new products I never knew I needed. Miss the old days.

·
Used to be Tilt
253 Posts
I have become quite disappointed in the way these presentations now are - purely from a presentation techniques point of view.

Steve always was about making it about benefits and not specs, about keeping it somewhat informal in the language-front, and ruthlessly talking only about very few features and hyping the benefits.

Post-Steve shindigs on the other hand are always about specs, talking about almost every damned spec etc. And talking about language, every presentation now uses the exact same words in the same sequence with the only difference being the numbers in the specs.

It is like the Hollywood super-hero movies where the only difference is the name and the costume of the super-hero with everything else being exactly the same. Use one script someone bought many years ago and change the names of the characters.

Plus, (maybe this is only me) it looks as though Tim Cook cannot say the word "important" - he always says "imported".

I no longer am interested in watching any of the keynotes - reading the details the next day or week is more interesting. I really miss Steve doing presentations - he can talk about the Sun rising in the East and I would watch.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Veery astute, Tilt. You're right, these have become technical spec shows for iterations of the same thing. I still remember the excitement of seeing the coloured iMac G3s. It was so incredibly appealing!

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Tim Cook has done pretty well as an introverted supply chain guy but he's never going to be Steve mk2. I always tell my clients not to compete on the same patch as someone who is truly excellent: find a new angle instead. When Steve died everybody was so careful not to disturb his legacy that we have had an infinite amount of second grade me too presentations and products. The iPad pro was probably last really good product that was released, everything else is just faster and shinier than the previous generation.

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always tell my clients not to compete on the same patch as someone who is truly excellent: find a new angle instead.
it's good advice. Cook should never have become the face of Apple. Someone with a pulse will suffice!

·
Used to be Tilt
253 Posts
Tim Cook has done pretty well as an introverted supply chain guy but he's never going to be Steve mk2. I always tell my clients not to compete on the same patch as someone who is truly excellent: find a new angle instead. When Steve died everybody was so careful not to disturb his legacy that we have had an infinite amount of second grade me too presentations and products. The iPad pro was probably last really good product that was released, everything else is just faster and shinier than the previous generation.
I agree. My point was purely about the difference in the way of making a presentation and not about the content, that is all. Steve knew how to get people genuinely excited, and everyone else including Tim Cook and Microsoft an Google and Samsung believe in quantity over quality. Purely from a presentation techniques perspective again.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apple will eventually be displaced by hungrier competition. It's just a less interesting company in its "fat cat" phase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts