Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys think?

I am sure it will rock.
But I am a little unsure about a flat keyboard with flat keys.
I do like the convex keyboard and convex keys of my current keyboard (white).
Guess I will have to get one and see.

The wireless looks super cool. Is that a power on button for the machine?
Why can't the wired keyboards have one?

Also, the moved all the volume and brightness keys around.
I am sure it will take a bit to get used to that?
Also added, dashboard, expose, FF, RW, Play/Pause.

What do you think?

Cheers,
N.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the blurp from the apple store:
The Apple Keyboard has been completely redesigned, inside and out. It features an elegant, ultra-thin anodized aluminum enclosure with low-profile keys that provide crisp, responsive feel. It also has function keys for one-touch access to a variety of Mac features such as screen brightness, volume, eject, play/pause, fast-forward and rewind, Expose, and Dashboard. Its extended layout includes document navigation controls and a numeric keypad. And two USB 2.0 ports provide high-speed connectivity for your iPod, Mighty Mouse, digital camera, and other USB-based electronic devices.

I guess that means we can finally run our ipods from the keyboard.
Mine always gave me power warnings when I tried to do that.

I am also not 100% sure of the USB ports on the side.
When the white keyboards came out I missed the side ports.
But now I like them, keeps things looking a little neater with longer mouse cords.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
They look good for me. I think I'll have a corded one (want the numeric keypad) before long.

·
Mac Addict
100 Posts
I like the look, but I'm confused and a little angry about the bluetooth version being a mini keyboard.

I guess with this transition, it won't be long before the MacBook Pro's keyboard falls in line.

·
Registered
586 Posts
They look nice. I wish they had them out 3 years ago when I bought my G5. The Al keybord would compment it nicley.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I like the look, though if keys were silver, it would be nicer, IMO.

Flat keys are fine --my Macally's flat and has served me well for over 3 years now.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Frankly it looks a bit of a mis-match with the new iMac given there's no hint of white on the iMac and no hint of black on the keyboard.

However, I suspect many current iMac owners (myself included), will update their current keyboards to this new one. And it will match very nicely with the aluminum base and all white iMac.

The round power on button on the wireless model does look cool. I'm stoked that the wired model finally has 2.0 USB ports vs. the old 1.1 ports.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too am disappointed with the bluetooth version of the keyboard. If it were full-size with the numeric key pad I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

I really like the looks of the wired version, but I don't think I could go back to being 'tethered' to my Mac.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I'm re-thinking my position on the keypad-less keyboard.

I've been using a Mac laptop for the last 2 years, with no keypad. When I stopped and thought about it, I realized that I don't really miss the keypad.

Having a keypad-less keyboard on my desk machine would put the mouse closer to the used portion of the keyboard, allowing me to center the keyboard better.

Right now, I think I prefer the wireless one. Besides, I've got a full sized wired one in reserve should I need it.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I'm re-thinking my position on the keypad-less keyboard.

I've been using a Mac laptop for the last 2 years, with no keypad. When I stopped and thought about it, I realized that I don't really miss the keypad..
I've been using notebooks pretty much exclusively since the PowerBook 100 and have long since got over the lack of keypad. It is pretty useless for 99% of what I do - just takes up space.

Now if they brought it out with a track pad built in, I'd be all over it... with a nice new iMac... that would suit me for general home and media use. I'd dump my TV. I just don't see having to fuss with a keyboard and a mouse while sitting in my easy-chair...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Now if they brought it out with a track pad built in, I'd be all over it...
Oh AMEN to that! I thought I was the only one. :D

That said, I'm considering getting the BT keyboard. I would have pulled the trigger on one today, but they're not shipping for 3 to 5 weeks ( :eek: ) and I don't want to risk being away on vacation when it gets here.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Love the new keyboard. I've always liked the style of the Macbook keyboards.

The only minor issue I have with it is the colour and how it doesn't seem to match that well with the actual iMac system. This is unfortunate, but probably doesn't make a huge difference in the long run.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like the looks of both the wired and wireless keyboard. Especially that of the BT wireless one...I think it will be a good match for my MBP C2D which I am currently using as my desktop machine, with the lid closed and hooked up to an external 20" monitor. I may not need to bring the wireless keyboard with me on the road though, other than purely aesthetic reasons.

I hope to be able to feel it at the Apple Store before making my purchase decision.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think a flat keyboard will be fine for eurgonomics (perhaps better. Seing as its lower, so it should be easier on the wrist).

I also wondering how the caps key will work.
I don't see a light. I wonder if the whole key glows?

Still not 100% sure what I think of the wireless not being full size.
I love the look, but I think I might miss the page up and down keys.
And home and end. Oh wait, they have never worked on the mac anyways. :) (a huge pet peeve since I converted 13 years ago). The keypad would also be nice. I do use it often. Guess that means I will get the wired version.

Also, since the wireless is not full sized, that must be why they moved the volume and eject keys to F13 and lower. Which I guess means expose has moved (looks like F3). I am sure it will only take a second to learn.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I think a flat keyboard will be fine for eurgonomics.

I also wondering how the caps key will work.
I don't see a light. I wonder if the whole key glows?
Valid questions. Too bad the Apple store I just came back from doesn't have the keyboard on display. Even though they have the frickin' new iMac on display!

When I asked to see it, the retail person said, sorry, we don't have it yet. Hmm, you have the computer but it shipped without a keyboard?
Ugh! Well, I'll just have to be patient and wait till they decide to bring it out or get stock.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts