Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That would be me
I'm baaa-ack. UT! UT! UT! UT!

Among the several changes in my life over the past few months I also made the move to OS X. I thought it would be an improvement over OS 9 but hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Sorry to have complaints in my first post back, but hey what is Apple for? :mad:

I'm updated up to 10.2.4. Someone dropped the ball big-time. Either Apple in not coordinating with developers OR developers in not being 'smart' enough to keep up with Apple. In turn, those concerned have lost: user and developer.

Things they need work on (at least for people like me):

1. Microsoft Outlook: Exchange Server Ediiton for OS X.x -- in a PC dominated work place they've gotta make this available for Macs work 'efficiently' in a PC network.

2. Quark for OS X.x -- everyone loves to hate these guys and, HEY, its justified. I hate working in classic

3. Illustrator 10.x -- this is more like Illustrator 9.8. It's an insult to OS X.

OS 10.2.4, seems okay otherwise... kind of. On a G4-450, something as basic as minimizing, resizing, and moving a window shows signs of not being smooth. Would this 'roughness' be any smoother on a 733?

Oh well, enough for now... good to be back.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Nice to "read" from you, Griller! Hey we missed you in UT (but you never "miss" us do you ;) ). Games of UT are sporatic, but lately we've been playing Tuesday and Saturday nights. Keep your eyes glued to ehMac for the next game time. jfpoole is kind enough to host a great server for us ut.flyingmonkeys.org, it's set up 24/7 with "Adept?" bots to practice with.

Even though you haven't posted since December, have you been reading ehMac all the way 'til now?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bjornbro:
Even though you haven't posted since December, have you been reading ehMac all the way 'til now?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, actually. Haven't been keeping up with ehMac at all these past few months. Good too see its growing in population.... anything I should know? What's new?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Griller:
1. Microsoft Outlook: Exchange Server Ediiton for OS X.x -- in a PC dominated work place they've gotta make this available for Macs work 'efficiently' in a PC network.

Look for upcoming Exchange support in Entourage. Microsoft has announced that a short time ago.

As well, if you know the proper information, just about any email program could muster the ability to work with Exchange Servers (at least in the send/receive email sense). At work, I have Apple's Mail.app working on Exchange. no special hacks, just proper configurations...

2. Quark for OS X.x -- everyone loves to hate these guys and, HEY, its justified. I hate working in classic

Well, it's all about the big "Q". They haven't made the leap to OSX (and at one point even threatened their consumer base to try and get them to switch to Windows)

You should try InDesign, as v. 2.0 is getting alot of good reviews.

3. Illustrator 10.x -- this is more like Illustrator 9.8. It's an insult to OS X.

I haven't really found much wrong with it. What problems are you getting?

OS 10.2.4, seems okay otherwise... kind of. On a G4-450, something as basic as minimizing, resizing, and moving a window shows signs of not being smooth. Would this 'roughness' be any smoother on a 733?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh! I too have noticed similar sluggishness on my G4-450. Alas, yes it is due to the fact you are running an older machine A 733 is much more responsive. On the 933 and the DP1GHz at work, it's pretty darn zippy.

:cool:

Frag ya later.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The number one reason for OS X being slow on your G4-450 MHz, is because it mostly likely does not have Quartz Extremem activated - QE requires a ATI Radeon 32 MB or better in a tower, 2X or 4X-AGP based (PCI Radeon 32 MB cards require a hack). QE makes a world of difference in smoothness under Mac OS X 10.2.x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts