Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am testing a new Access Point i got for free as a reseller, I am putting it through the ringer.
Areohive AP250 features dual radio, 3x3:3 MU MIMO, providing full 802.11ac technology performance with data rates up to 2.6 Gbps per access point using existing 802.3af PoE infrastructure. Built-in Bluetooth Low Energy for iBeacon/ other beacon technologies,

But i named it “Searching…”
that has confused me so many times lol
every time i check the wifi it says Searching… LOL

I am able to achieve 1.3Gbps - but nothing more - that makes senses as i only have a gigabyte POE+ switch and Cat 5E wiring in the house, to achieve speeds faster than that would depend on switch, wiring and end points like my devices.

I am using the dual 5Ghz with band steering to alleviate congestion

As for the RF, Bluetooth features are great but more in a retail or resort environment so you can track 'hotspots', popular locations in a store as well as merchandise tracking etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Whoa this thing is expensive for what it is. Good thing you got it for free:)

You are only getting 1.3Gbps because that's the max it does.

Other models or brands can do 1.733Gbps which is the fastest I've seen.

The not having CAT6 or 10GBe switches will affect your connection to the net for sure but doesn't change what speed your computer connects to the access point at.

Keep in mind band steering doesn't alleviate congestion. It keeps 2.4 and 5ghz active with the same SSID. So if a device can't do 5ghz it just connects at 2.4 with the same SSID. Older devices with no band steering had a 2.4ghz SSID and 5Ghz SSID.

I use Ubiquti. TheUAP-AC-HD does 1.733Gbps. $349ish. No Bluetooth though. Amazing device. Super easy to MESH.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa this thing is expensive for what it is. Good thing you got it for free:)

You are only getting 1.3Gbps because that's the max it does.

Other models or brands can do 1.733Gbps which is the fastest I've seen.

The not having CAT6 or 10GBe switches will affect your connection to the net for sure but doesn't change what speed your computer connects to the access point at.

Keep in mind band steering doesn't alleviate congestion. It keeps 2.4 and 5ghz active with the same SSID. So if a device can't do 5ghz it just connects at 2.4 with the same SSID. Older devices with no band steering had a 2.4ghz SSID and 5Ghz SSID.

I use Ubiquti. TheUAP-AC-HD does 1.733Gbps. $349ish. No Bluetooth though. Amazing device. Super easy to MESH.
i figure 1.3Gps is more than enough as well as my devices don't support 2.6Ghz so moot point in upgrading my switches and wiring, unless i really require more bandwidth in an environment of 100+ users etc that said - i have enabled dual 5GHZ - which will balance load a lot better.. but in most environments band steering helps clear up the massively congested 2.4 Mhz spectrum.. band steering does help alleviate some of 2.4 Mhz congestion by pushing those who are able to use 5 ghz on to it.

Most half decent access points offer mesh today/ seamless roaming between access points

This unit is rated enterprise quality vs your usual home access points yes it has many features from reporting to managing users remotely etc They do make other models which suit 'home' environments ..
I rather spend a a little more to have the power of enterprise at home.

this one unit covered my whole home as well all the way to my driveway

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For home environment i would recommend the following access point - it is entry level enterprise quality - design for retail outlets as well as small hotels.. so it will be phenomenal in a home environment. Plus it comes with guest / captive portal.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts