Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard if these are true? I read on a few sites now, that Apple was going to release a new cheaper 5GB iPod. Usually these rumours come to fruition, but I am getting impatient. Me needs an iPod soon. Any news would be appreciated.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think that a lot of the speculation on the cheaper ipods - and the rumours about them stem from an interview that he did with newsweek and was asked:
newsweek asks: Some think you wouldn’t want to sell a $100 iPod because the profit margin would be so low.
steve jobs answer: What are you talking about? We’d love to have a $100 iPod! We just don’t know how to do it right now. We’re constantly trying to make cheaper iPods. We’re working on the next step.
full interview can be found at:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/982147.asp?cp1=1

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Not all rumours come to fruition - ex. MacOS X on X86 or Apple using Intel or AMD processors (bad rumours), an Apple tablet, an Apple PDA, an Apple phone. Other rumours take time - ex. the G5 (rumoured for over 2 years), 15" Albook.

So I wouldn't wait all that long for a 5GB iPod - it may never come!

·
Registered
232 Posts
If there is a cheaper iPod coming it will most definately be announced after the holiday season. I heard a that Toshiba has stopped manufacturing the 5gb dives that were used in the first iPods, so there may not be a 5gb anytime soon, or apple might use another HD manufacturer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts