Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Was just checking that out. The G5 I bought a month and a half ago is now $300 cheaper. Oh well. :D

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
wow! thats sweet...apple made the right choice by going with dual 1.8's they will sell alot more now!! the singles were not a big seller from what I hear....everyone wants a dual desktop! the imac..well not sure...the 17" is nice...but a 20" hmmm...is that a bit much? I guess I am not into graphics so I don't know if 20" is a good thing...but now the imac is getting too big and awkward looking? they should have added a 1.6 G5 chip that would have made the package complete!! Mark

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The same thing happened when I bought the first G4 iMac (a la Superdrive)... a mere month or three goes by, and a 17" iMac was introduced... WITH a faster processor.

Live and learn, eh?

Is it me, or has Apple kind of taken a less "structured" approach to when they release hardware? Time was, you could set your clock to Apple's hardware revisions/release dates.

Now it seems they are firing out revised systems at odd times... almost on a whim. Not that I don't mind newer and better equipment. It makes it hard to guage the best time to buy.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the new iMac would make a great entry-level graphics machine if it wasn't for the LCD display.

I know, I know, I harp on the pitfalls of LCD when doing graphic design. But it's true. :D

However, I think maybe Apple is leaning it to a higher-performance gaming/entry level design Mac. A 1.25 processor, 20" display, and improved graphics is a bonus. It's definitly a decent machine for video/3d/web/etc.

Puts my G4 800 iMac to shame. *sniff* But I still love it.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
No that makes more sense as a line up - the 1.8 single was way wrong - now it's way right as a dualie.
But can anyone explain the reason to go to the Dual 2:p
This one looks a tad rushed to market. Better but not right on yet.

20" iMac :rolleyes: :cool:

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Apple's PowerMac line is now where it should be, dual CPUs where it matters...

As for the iMac, I'm afraid of that screen losing some tension and falling down. Man that would hurt. I think the iMac screen size is getting a bit out of hand. With the CRT model being dead and unavailable Apple now has nothing to compete in the low end market other than the eMac which is priced right but BUTT ugly. Not everyone can afford an LCD machine and besides offering a WOW factor in the store the price will certainly put a lot of people off. I can just see a model sitting lonely in a FutureShop with that wicked sticker price and people running screaming from the Macs....

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
However, I think maybe Apple is leaning it to a higher-performance gaming
The iMac, in my opinion, will never be a high-performance gaming system until you have the ability to change the video card and it gets a G5. An average gaming system, maybe.

Is it me, or has Apple kind of taken a less "structured" approach to when they release hardware? Time was, you could set your clock to Apple's hardware revisions/release dates.

Now it seems they are firing out revised systems at odd times... almost on a whim. Not that I don't mind newer and better equipment. It makes it hard to guage the best time to buy.
This is part of their new approach to bring out new hardware at various times of the year instead of at the two MacWorld Expos. To spread it out over the year. And who knows, now that Apple is using IBM chips, maybe they'll release speed-bumped updates more frequently.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I'm curious how big the L2 cache is on the new iMacs - I don't see that anywhere.
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra - that must be pretty sweet. Bluetooth still optional, wireless keyboard not available as a BTO :( would have been nice from an aesthetic perspective. Comes with Sound Studio now
and Tony Hawk.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By higher performance, I meant a machine that performed better than it's very recent predecessors... a lot of games that are coming out are getting seriously nuts for tech specs. :confused: The iMac isn't anywhere near the gaming machine it should/could be... I wish it was at least semi-expandable aside from RAM.

Alas, this (and professional reasons as well) is why I'll never buy another AIO setup.
MoH:Spearhead absolutely runs like a dog at times.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Sits right in the middle of the 'digital hub' strategy. Use FCExpress, burn DVDs, play them on the Mac...

As far as gaming is concerned, and looking at the relative pricing of consoles v. computers, I have come to the conclusion that you would be nuts to buy a computer for gaming. Perhaps for hard-core, but not for mainstream. A bit like HiFi: you know that vinyl/stereo is best, but it's pretty tempting to pick up DVD/5.1 for one tenth of the price...

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
Macdoc, why the :rolleyes: :cool: for the new 20" iMac???

Your PM folder is also full, FYI. Just a hint. Paix, mon ami.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I'm curious how big the L2 cache is on the new iMacs - I don't see that anywhere.

I would be willing to bet that all the iMacs are still using the older MPC7455 G4s, which have a 256k L2 cache. But who knows? This is Apple we are talking about.

--PB

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Elmer, it is STILL 256k L2 cache and NO L3 cache.

Apple has a really sweet mid-level, now!
you're darned right, MacDoc; why go dual 2, when the dual 1.8 is so sweet. you do get 400MHz more processor and 100MHz more FSB, but I'm not sure if that's worth it.Use the difference to add RAM, eh?

The 17" iMac is a fantastic package at that price, now!

Great stuff, all 'round!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I can see that the Dual 1.8 and the new optimized apps was just a matter of time, but the 20" iMac. :confused:

Why? I have yet to figure out why, or have it explained to me. Or is that the 20" iMac is being offered for the consumers who don't need a pro machine, but like their screen real estate?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
:eek:

They say that land/real estate appreciates. Really?? is this why they keep going bigger?? Size matters??

Someone tell me this:

What is up with the iMac and Ram?? 1 slot or 2?? They max out @ 1G?? That could be better - or we assuming the usual - as we can likely go higher?

That could be a nice design tower.... all that space?? This is what I keep thinking of when I think of a 12". :: space ::

Anyhow, I need to see this one too...

H!

PS - how long before the PC clone??

·
Registered
292 Posts
i think the wow factor's an important part of this decision.

little experiment that i learned in school...ask someone to draw you a computer.

90% of the time, what is drawn is a monitor, keyboard and mouse. (it would be interesting to see what imac owners draw)

considering that the base specs haven't changed, i don't imagine this "new model" took too much R&D on apple's part. maybe some engineering on the base/swivel mechanism -- can't think of too much else that would have to be done.

but imagine customer A walks into future shop with $3500 to spend on SOME computer (i don't think apple's too interested in the customer that walks in with $1000 or less). i think a 20" widescreen display pops their eyes out (considering it's bigger than most display LCDs, it swivels and bobs and weaves...and flat panel monitors cost about $1200 ALONE), and sucks 'em in. couple hundred bucks more profit for apple,

now, the technical person takes a closer look at the specs and say, "uh-uh" -- the imac is NOT for the technical person -- it's NOT upgradeable, NOT really tweakable, mediocre video card, middling processor -- fine for web/chat/email/iphoto/a little imovie, but a little "long in the tooth" if you want to be on the cutting edge.

i don't think customer A (apple's target customer) is this technical person -- he/she doesn't NEED to be on the cutting edge.

guess what. aside from revolutionary, ahead-of-its-time design (which customer A can take advantage of -- won't notice the speed difference unless he/she sees the low-end FIRST), the imac is not supposed to be on the cutting edge. it is targeted at the email/web/chat crowd -- it's beautiful, it's all-in-one, and (my personal favourite) i believe it only takes ONE socket to power it! (maybe another for the speakers? don't have one, so don't know).

finally, apple's had the time to work out any problems with these processors, so the end user will have as few hiccups as possible -- this is another feature customer "A" DEFINITELY wants.

the imac's in a funny position. i think its awesome design lures people from both the Pro side (should buy powermacs) and the low-end (should buy emacs). that's a testament to its design, but when you make something that's so much better than the next guy, everyone wants one.

but not everyone can get exactly what they want

PS., gone are the days when the imac had the same proc as the powermac -- they now have a FAST high-end, rather than a mediocre high-end. now that the differentiation's there, they can actually PUSH the powermac and make their margins there (along with those awesome cinema displays), while selling beautiful imacs for a little less for customers "A", then the emacs to schools & bargain hunters.

phew, long post. anyway, that's just my take on the release. yeah, it's priced a little high for me, but i'd buy it if i had the money

i think that's what it's all about.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Well reading more on the new iMac, the new 20" screen is much better then the 15 and 17" versions. Not only in space and resolution. It is brighter, has a higher contrast ratio (350:1 instead of 300:1), and a much higher viewable range (170, instead of 120 degrees for the other two).

So for someone who wants a big, easy to read screen and is not planning to do anything really pro level (eg. the people looking for a decent computer to use for a few years) this is a perfect computer. The 15 and the 17 are similar. Simple and the AIO style is perfect for the casual or simple computer user. Not a computer I would get because of what I do, but a decent computer none the less. Perfect for the above begineer user and doesn't want an eMac's CRT and a larger LCD screen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts