Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much thinking, I am going to (finaly) get the new 12" SD.

But I have a few questions first just to make sure that I am not missing anything.

- Can I use dual screen with my CRT or is it just for video mirroring?
- Whats is the difference between S-video and composite?
- If I can do all of the above, whats the difference with the 15" and 17" ??? (display wise)
-How fast/slow is the video card compared to the ones in the 15"/17". Is it good for gaming (present and futur games)
- How good is the screen? I am currently using an IBM laptop (thinkpad something, p3 dvd and all..), how does the screen quality compares?

And I would like yo say that I am kinda frustrated about the lack of keyboard lightning and FW800. FW800 is really frustrating since I will eventualy need another HD...

Thanks for all the infos, I just hope the delivery wont be too long...

·
Registered
160 Posts
- Can I use dual screen with my CRT or is it just for video mirroring?

Extended Desktop, it will support pretty high res on the second monitor

- Whats is the difference between S-video and composite?

S-Video or "RCA" Cables.

- If I can do all of the above, whats the difference with the 15" and 17" ??? (display wise)

I believe you need a $40 adapter to do SVideo and Composite.

-How fast/slow is the video card compared to the ones in the 15"/17". Is it good for gaming (present and futur games)

32 MB card would be fine for current games, I wouldn't hold my breath for Doom 3 though.

- How good is the screen? I am currently using an IBM laptop (thinkpad something, p3 dvd and all..), how does the screen quality compares?

I don't know how it compares, but it's a pretty nice, sharp screen.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I have my 12" PB G4 (w.Superdrive) right beside my work Thinkpad (T23 P4 1.1ghz) and I'd have to say the Thinkpad screen is brighter (when both are maxed out) and certainly larger 14.1" compared to 12.1"...

That being said... there is no comparison... clearly the 12" PB G4 is a muc more elegant/capable machine than the Thinkpad.

Seriously... I can run OSX (Unix), OS9 (classic) and with Virtual PC (Win2K/XP or Linux). This machine is so much more cable and so much more elegant design wise.

You will squeel with glee the first time you use Salling Clicker and have your bluetooth phone control your Mac. The pulsing light on the front when it sleeps is so cool it is beyond belief. This machine was created with care and craftmanship and it shows.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It should be noted that you can't start up in OS9 -- you can only use it in Classic mode.

But as a proud owner of a 12" Powerbook, I agree that it's a fabulous piece of technology. And it's just gotten better!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Hey SS:

Do you think that was Jay the Canadian or the fake American talking about our constitution? :D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
HD output can be over Component or S-Video, although it is much better over Component. You wont find Component on any laptops, and scant few desktops because it require three separate cables for the video signal.

S-Video is probably the most popular vide cable right now as it puts the best resolution into one cable, and that is why you find it on so many high end laptops.

Typically, Apple includes an S-Video connector that has three extra sockets in it, which transmit the composite (RCA) video signal to the included S-Video->Composite "adapter".

--PB

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered the PB now... with the 80gig HD and no ram, I will try ot find some less expensive.

I talked to the sale rep for the area (montreal) and he told me that even if they say on the website that the delivery would be in 6-9 days, it is more likely that I will get it in 3-5 weeks... But since I paid an advance, I would be able to claim the rebate for the printer and iPod which is a great news. This is good news for anyone who is going to buy a laptop soon.

I also saw a 23" display in action... Oh boy I want one of these to replace my tv!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Component Video is just another name for High Definition output. Its what you would use to connect a DVD player to an HDTV. But as far as i know it does not work on the 12". No VGA output is HD, so you need DVI, which is one thing the 12"PB doesn't have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts