Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People's cruelty.
globeandmail.com: Whimpering puppy's ears were sliced off

Makes me want to vomit.

Dog abuse alibi challenged

A.K.'s ex-owner 'stressed out'

I wanted to adopt him but I don't qualify - my yard isn't fenced and I don't live in their county.

He says he only got him days before - but neighbours saw him with the dog months before. Then he says he took him to a vet but they wouldn't help because he didn't have any money - when contacted the vet said they hadn't seen the man for a decade.

Ooooohhhhhhhhhh this makes me so mad.:mad: :mad:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Heard this on the news the other day. Brutal. Those who deliberately abuse animals should have the same done to them to see how it feels.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Reading from an agreed statement of facts, Crown prosecutor Richelle Freiheit said the teen accidentally backed over the 25-kilogram dog after visiting its owner's home.
Finding the dog under his vehicle "conscious, whimpering and cowering" the teen grabbed a three-metre tow rope from the garage and tied it around the animal's neck. He then dragged the dog into the garage, where he decided to kill it by asphyxiation.

"It was stupid and callous but not deliberate."
SINC, do you actually read the articles you cite?

Cruelty to animals is usually a sign of mental problems.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Abuse of the helpless and those who cannot communicate is the hallmark of the sociopath. This guy should be locked up. Permanently.

As much as I'm sympathetic to those who've been driven to emotional outbursts by whining/barking dogs and/or crying babies, there is *NEVER* any excuse for this kind of abuse. The fact that this guy could even think of such an action, let alone do such a thing indicts him beyond all defense in my opinion.

:mad:

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
The fact that this guy could even think of such an action, let alone do such a thing indicts him beyond all defense in my opinion.

What do you make of those stating that the abuser should have his ears cut-off?

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Abuse of the helpless and those who cannot communicate is the hallmark of the sociopath. This guy should be locked up. Permanently.

As much as I'm sympathetic to those who've been driven to emotional outbursts by whining/barking dogs and/or crying babies, there is *NEVER* any excuse for this kind of abuse. The fact that this guy could even think of such an action, let alone do such a thing indicts him beyond all defense in my opinion.

There is plenty of literature in psychology to suggest that abuse of animals is a precursor to abuse of humans. :mad:

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
What do you make of those stating that the abuser should have his ears cut-off?
Obviously you are refering to my comment to that effect above. For me this is an expression of frustration that perpetrators of such crimes usually get away with only marginal sanctions. Considering that we already know that people who are violently cruel to humans often got their start, made their bones as it were, on animals. When one who has demonstrated cruelty to animals in their response repertoire is apprehended perhaps greater attention should be given than is now common.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
SINC, do you actually read the articles you cite?
I do. Apparently YOU don't:

The whole point of posting the item was that there was no jail time:

“DIDSBURY - An 18-year-old man charged in a horrific case of animal abuse has been given two years probation, ordered to complete 240 hours community service, placed under house arrest for three months and ordered to stay away from animals.”

And further if you had read the entire item:

“She said the teen then duct taped the animal's legs and mouth before placing a plastic garbage bag over its head.
The teen then struck the animal on the head with a shovel, before dragging it a short distance down the back alley by the tow rope.
He then attached the rope to the bumper of his car and dragged the animal a few blocks before running over it a second time.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
My wife is the main person in the Dachshund Rescue Society. She brought a mini-doxie back from Calgary where it was being left outside (in the cold Calgary winters) and found it a good loving (and warm) home here in St. John's.

Sadly, rgray is all too correct in his contention that "There is plenty of literature in psychology to suggest that abuse of animals is a precursor to abuse of humans." I tell my students, who are soon to be public school teachers, to be on the lookout for students who talk about or write about animal abuse.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I know all about the theory that cruelty to animals is a precursor to cruelty to humans BUT I think it's a bit of a red herring. I don't care whether it's a precursor or not. The fact that the person has abused another sentient being should be enough - whether or not the behaviour "escalates" (I use the term loosely). How anyone can say such a premeditated act is not deliberate is beyond me. Cruelty to animals and children is NOT taken seriously in this society.

A rat is a dog is a boy.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
I do. Apparently YOU don't:

The whole point of posting the item was that there was no jail time:
I did read the article.
His motivations were not cruelty. Sure he was stupid but that's not a crime.

In the case of the dog with cut off ears, that's abuse and cruelty an animal.

While this is an extreme form of animal cruelty, there are plenty of cases for animal cruelty all around: from the de-clawing of cats, to the breeding of certain types of dogs (think of culling and docking of tails to the physical defects cause by the desire for characteristics).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
I did read the article.
His motivations were not cruelty. Sure he was stupid but that's not a crime.
Just what part of this quote are you having trouble understanding:

"He then attached the rope to the bumper of his car and dragged the animal a few blocks before running over it a second time."

Anyone else think this is NOT cruelty, just stupidity?

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Given that you are an obtuse bitter man - what problem do you have with the judge stating:
Defence lawyer Brian Forestell told court it was a "poorly thought-out euthanasia attempt." He called the killing an isolated incident by an individual with no criminal history.
The judge found that the youth didn't drag the dog to torture it because he thought it was already dead. But that did not excuse the "extreme callousness" of his act.
Same source.

We can't all have that pickup with the gun rack to kill animals you know....

Of course, you know better than anyone else, right ?

And given you love of selective quotes:
She said the teen then duct taped the animal's legs and mouth before placing a plastic garbage bag over its head.
The teen then struck the animal on the head with a shovel, before dragging it a short distance down the back alley by the tow rope.
He then attached the rope to the bumper of his car and dragged the animal a few blocks before running over it a second time.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Again problems with reading and comprehension:
The judge found that the youth didn't drag the dog to torture it because he thought it was already dead. But that did not excuse the "extreme callousness" of his act.

And Mr Happy Pants, what did the witness state?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts