Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I am a brand new mac user and I need some help. I am trying to network my satelite high-speed connection FROM my pc to my iMac. Has anyone been successful at doing this?? Unfortuantly, my high speed provider does not have software for my iMac, this is why the need to network from my pc. Any ideas, tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. BTW, I love my iMac so far! Thanks. MJ

·
Registered
259 Posts
So far as I know, it doesn't really work right out of the box. For those who don't know, the way that Satellite networking is called "one way" or "telco" and it's achived sorta like this:

1) The PC has a fancy-shmancy card or "Satellite modem" attached to it via USB. This isn't an ordinary network card or network modem, and it can't just be hooked up to a hardware router.

2) When the PC wants a page from the net, it sends that URL address *request* via phone lines to a Uplink station far far away.

3) The Uplink station gathers the information (Quicktime, HTML, whatever) for that URL and sends it via Satellite back to your PC.

4) The PC then displays that page, and all the content, fairly quickly, since the digital connection from the Satellite is, well, digital. It will also stream movies and other content that would be way too cumbersome to pass through a 56k modem. If the PC were to upload information to the internet, it does it via the modem connection, and not through the Satellite dish, since consumer dishes aren't wired for two-way communication.

The nasty part of this system is that, so far, there isn't software designed to handle the complex communications between the PC and the satellite modem available for the Mac. And, so far as I know, there isn't a surefire way for the PC to share it's network connection, especially since netorking a PC is a monster job as it is.

All is not lost. Some satellite internet providers are beginning to see the light. None are currently Canadian, but access will be available soon.
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/26.owc.php

HOWEVER, some people have reported success with certain Windows networking packages such as Wingate5 (http://wingate.deerfield.com). You'll need a second network card in your PC for this to work, but they're cheap and easy to find.

Good luck,

-SJ.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpanishJoe:
So far as I know, it doesn't really work right out of the box. For those who don't know, the way that Satellite networking is called "one way" or "telco" and it's achived sorta like this:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that case, turn on the "Internet Sharing" feature in Windows. Plug your Mac's ethernet into the PCs ethernet. Set your Mac to get its Ethernet address via DHCP. I believe you don't need a crossover cable (Mac ethernet should autodetect and switch), but if it doesn't work, try one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Again!

I have another question. I have my networking going, and my iMac is sharing the pc's internet high speed connection thru my local satellite company. However, even though it is networking /sharing from the pc's the connection I cannot open any web pages or access any internet functions thru the Mac. I think it is something blocking it from functioning properly...hopefully some simple setting.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks,
It is an OS X 10.2
MJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.