Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 g4's and 1/2 a dozen Win2k boxes that i need to network and file share. Ideally, we would like to have folders on each mac that the PC's could dump to, and have these folders available to any of the multiple users on these Macs. And, we would like to have a shared folder on each PC that we could dump files from the Macs to the PC's. Theoretically, this would be easy, as it was with Dave and OS 9, now that I have upgraded all my Macs, I am getting the hairy eyeball, and burning way too many cds/dvds to move stuff around. Currently I am doing this via ftp which is time consuming. If someone was in Halifax I could score some 22 Minutes tix for this service or a Trailer Partk Boys DVD set in return.
Thanks,
Brian
[email protected]

·
Registered
470 Posts
puffin - I do exactly what you are trying, without any additional software.

OSX and win2k do play nice.

The drawback is OSX can see all of any shared win2k disk, but not the other way. The win2k can only see your public folder. No printer or other drive sharing without server software or DAVE.

This works fine for me though, just to transfer files.

Set your OSX system prefs to allow windows sharing. Set up sharing on your win2k drive properties.

Piece of cake, right?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
if you still have the DAVE sfw. from the previous boxes, you could update the DAVE to OS X
depending on which ver. of DAVE you have, this could be free

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I'd recommned Sharepoints for OS X to have more control over the sharing facilities in OS X. The sahring information is stored in the Netinfo database which is very arcane and poorly documented so having this makes sharing a lot easier.

Getting files on a PC on the other hand generally works quite well however there are times when you need to connect by specifying the IP of the computer and other you need to specify the Netbios name. Experience shows that Windows machines hold and election "fight" as to who will be the browse master on the network and in most cases the OS X machine will win since the SMB setup in OS X has a higher election priority. This royally screws up the Windows PCs. Another solution would be to install the WINS server on the PCs and have al lthe mahcine point to it for discovery. I know this sounds a little convoluted for a small network but networking PCs is not like AppleTalk on the Mac. Its really messed up on their side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts