Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Skeptical Mac Collector
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you out there still might be using the old apple laser printers so maybe you can help me. I just picked up a LaserWriter 16/600 for free. My laptop running OSX 10.4.10 recognized it instantly and installed it immediately. However, my windows XP machine is being a pain in the rear about it. Has anyone any ideas how to get this to work? I know its XP, but I am sure someone has had to deal with the same situation.

I've tried the ports many online guides suggest, but they are all pretty outdated. I have tried the IP address too by using Apple's Printer Utility to access the printer options.

·
Registered
466 Posts
As you have found XP and Apple don't mix well.

I have my HP printer set with a static IP (you are using DHCP on the router) and then install the IP port into Windows and use the printer this way via Add PRinter and use the IP port just installed. Works wirelessly as well.

Of course if you cannot find a Windows driver for the printer then the fun part comes. Another printer trick is I installed an Epson printer via Parallels (installed using XP) on my 24" iMac then shared and it will show on the PC machines. 3 kids two printers - one colour Epson and one BxW HP networked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts